What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batman Begins

OVP

Coach
Look ok im no movie watcher, but i rented this movie out on DVD the other night. I dont exactly know why i loved this movie (Michael Caine, Rutger Hauer, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson etc etc) but man this movie seriously rocked for me. Truly great storyline, superb acting from basically the world's best actors, and a kick arse ending that was MORE than brilliant.

But it was more the story how Batman became Batman that really did it for me. How good was it ? It earnt 5 stars as a top movie and now i know why. Great stuff ...

So, do you people agree it was a 5-star movie ? Or Not ?

:lol: :lol: You're off your rockers Phillips, unless you're being sarcastic. This is clearly the best Batman movie since Tim Burton directed Joker in 1989. Yeah, the title was Batman but the star of the movie was Joker. In fact, not a single Batman movie before Batman Begins actually focused on Batman. Burton's first one cares more about the Joker, his second was about revenge, specifically Selina Kyle on her boss and Oswald Cobblepot on Gotham in general. Joel Schumacher's Batman movies are best left forgotten.

This one brought us who Batman was and what drove Bruce Wayne to take up vigilante. The best part of it was how they made Batman possible. if you've ever wondered how Batman can come up with all those gadgets then this is the movie for you. Money was obviously never a problem for Wayne but weren't you ever curious who produced the Bat-gadgets and why no one has ever checked on batty's suppliers?

simostorm

Bench
Yeah a good movie this one, easily the best batman movie, Christian Bale
was great, good actor that guy.
I'd give it 4/5.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
6/5. The most realistic (as real as a Batman movie can get anyway) of the lot also.

I found that the Tim Burton's were too focused on outrageous characters with no real purpose or sense of realism. Where as BB the storyline,characters and settings for once is no way near as ficticious as the previous installments.

Dread

Juniors
Yep. Best movie of 2005 so far, for mine.

Phillips has the worst opinion pf 2005 so far.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Thunderstruck said:
This is clearly the best Batman movie since Tim Burton directed Joker in 1989. Yeah, the title was Batman but the star of the movie was Joker. In fact, not a single Batman movie before Batman Begins actually focused on Batman. Burton's first one cares more about the Joker, his second was about revenge, specifically Selina Kyle on her boss and Oswald Cobblepot on Gotham in general.

This one brought us who Batman was and what drove Bruce Wayne to take up vigilante. The best part of it was how they made Batman possible. if you've ever wondered how Batman can come up with all those gadgets then this is the movie for you. Money was obviously never a problem for Wayne but weren't you ever curious who produced the Bat-gadgets and why no one has ever checked on batty's suppliers?

I agree with what you have said about Tim Burton's films, even though they are great, this new one focus's on how he became Batman and that makes it even better.

edabomb

First Grade
I still like Batman and Returns more. I like how they weren't set in the real world, because Batman could never exist in the real world.

Begins was good though.

LESStar58

Referee
I loved Batman begins but i still liked "Batman" and "Batman Returns" better.... however i think in terms of the character Christian Bale was slightly better than Michael Keaton.

supersaint

Juniors
Batman Begins was about three times as good as the original movie made. The film was a lot more darker than the previous ones and also had a lot more depth to the storylines. I can't wait for the next one.

OVP

Coach
supersaint said:
Batman Begins was about three times as good as the original movie made. The film was a lot more darker than the previous ones and also had a lot more depth to the storylines. I can't wait for the next one.

So are they definitely making another one ? God i hope so ... but keep the same actors/ director etc. Would love to see how they make the Joker out to be like. Nicholson was superb, but was a bit too hi-camp to be taken seriously.

p.s. i forgot to mention Morgan Freeman ... how good is he ?

Schillaci

Juniors
The best Batman movie ever made. It was good to see some comic book adaptations taking serisouly, this and sin city were brilliant. The best thing is it's not a prequel to that the other Batman movies that came before it that were terrible (with exception to Batman 1989 which was ok)

The Colonel

Immortal
OVP said:
Look ok im no movie watcher, but i rented this movie out on DVD the other night. I dont exactly know why i loved this movie (Michael Caine, Rutger Hauer, Gary Oldman, Liam Neeson etc etc) but man this movie seriously rocked for me. Truly great storyline, superb acting from basically the world's best actors, and a kick arse ending that was MORE than brilliant.

But it was more the story how Batman became Batman that really did it for me. How good was it ? It earnt 5 stars as a top movie and now i know why. Great stuff ...

Same. My wife enjoyed it as well and rarely enjoys this type of movie. Easily the best I have watched this year or for a few probably...

Generalzod

Immortal
OVP said:

I agree with you OVP, the film itself was dark and the acting was great.
This is the way the first four batman film should have been made.

Jono078

Referee
OVP said:
So are they definitely making another one ? God i hope so ... but keep the same actors/ director etc. Would love to see how they make the Joker out to be like. Nicholson was superb, but was a bit too hi-camp to be taken seriously.

p.s. i forgot to mention Morgan Freeman ... how good is he ?

This is what I found on a Sequel:

Nolan Comments on Batman Begins Sequel

Source: About.com
October 12, 2005

Christopher Nolan spoke to About.com and mentioned the Batman Begins sequel:

Will you be doing Batman Continues? Well, it certainly won't be called that. That's the title most commonly thrown at me. Actually, I have been talking to the studio and to David Goyer about directions for a sequel because we're certainly very excited still about the world we were able to dive into and the characters we were able to put on screen. It's a pretty interesting bunch of people and an interesting place, so we’re definitely talking about places we would take it.

Warner Bros. Digs Batman Begins Sequel

Source: Empire Online
October 25, 2005

Empire Online got an update from Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan about how his meeting went with Warner Bros. Pictures about the sequel:

Jeff Robinov at Warners was quoted as saying that you tell him what the sequel is going to be. Is that the case?
Well, he's very polite to put it that way! I have marched into his office and I have told him what David Goyer and I think the story is, and they seem to like it a lot. I think the success of Batman Begins, in my terms, in it being a film that I wanted it to be, is very much due to a collaboration with the studio. It wasn't really one or the other telling the other what it should be, so I think he's poking fun

Sounds like great news.

PJ

First Grade
Bale is the best Batman by a mile. Why the other films focussed so much on the villians is beyond me when Batman?bruce Wayne is so interesting and dark.

The other character I thought they did well and I really hope they continue to develop well is Gordon.

However if they do to Bane what the last series did then I'll be massively p!ssed off.

OVP

Coach
Thx heaps for that reply Jono078. Much appreciated :)

In my original post, i had Michael Caine, Rutger Hauer, Gary Oldman and Liam Neeson in brackets.

If you see Michael Caine in the movie Sleuth (with Sir Laurence Olivier) ... an oooooooold movie but it rocks !! Some of the best detective work in movies was made in this movie ... a true classic and i hope you younger people see it so you can understand how good Michael Caine really is.

Gary Oldman in Dracula, The 5th Element, The Professional, True Romance ... this man is definitely my favourite actor ... he has more range than ANYONE on the planet in my opinion. But noone knows who he is, because he's not mainstream usually. He played Gordon in BB.

Rutger Hauer is a legend imo ... go rent the movie The Hitcher. Noone can play a baddass like Rutger. He owns the genre, simply because of this movie. But dont show it to females, whatever you do :)

Adding Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman to the cast proves how MUCH money they had to spend. Ive never really seen a better cast than this ... and it wasnt heavily promoted either.

Its obvious they spent most of the money on the cast itself, such great actors, and kept a little bit aside for the finale. A perfect movie imo :)

Booyah

Bench
Tops movie.

I honestly though it'd be sh*te but I was somehow persuaded to buy it the other week and I was seriously impressed. Bale was awesome. I also thought Scarecrow was great too.

Holmes was mediocre, as expected.

I almost didn't recognise Gary Oldman as Gordon either. As OVP mentioned he's an awesome actor. Go watch him as the Cop in the Professional with Jean Reno and you'll appreciate him even more. He's a deadset nutbag but it's great acting.

Can't wait for the second one.