What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of Brisbane - Won

butchmcdick said:
It is shown in melbourne mate.

Now bigman, what does it rate again ?

19 NINE'S LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Nine 662,000 335,000 Not shown 327,000 Not shown Not shown

Not shown means what AwFuL man?

Now in a further blow to AFLs expansion plans here are the national figures on Pay TV.

http://www.astra.org.au/content/pdf/MediaReleases/ASTRA-Ratings-for-Week-080323.pdf

when RL and AFL shown in the same number of states and live against one another, which sport wins :

1 LIVE: NRL DRAGONS V TITANS Fox Sports 2 Mon 19:00 300 300 706 1,210
2 LIVE: NRL RAIDERS V DRAGONS Fox Sports 2 Sat 19:30 294 294 682 1,251
3 LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V STORM Fox Sports 2 Sat 17:30 294 294 648 1,166
4 LIVE: NRL TITANS V SHARKS Fox Sports 2 Sat 21:30 262 262 646 1,250
5 LIVE & ACTIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V MELBOURNE Fox Sports 1 Sun 16:30 198 198 510 1,091
6 LIVE: AFL PRE GAME SHOW Fox Sports 1 Sun 16:00 187 187 247 1,127
7 LIVE: AFL WESTERN BULLDOGS V ADELAIDE Fox Sports 1 Sun 13:00 184 184 463 1,095
8 LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V EELS Fox Sports 2 Sun 14:00 181 181 431 1,147
9 LIVE: FOOTBALL: WORLD CUP QUALIFIER CHINA V AUSTRALIAFox Sports 2 Wed 17:00 159 159 388 856
10 LIVE: SWIMMING: OLYMPIC TRIALS Fox Sports 3 Sun 19:30 135 135 276 1,185
11 THE SIMPSONS FOX8 Sun 20:30 128 159 1,907 1,287

AFL, national competition my a**e.

Ice777

Bench
dallymessenger said:
i explained twice that RL wasnt shown in melb. and the NRL had to do more to get it shown.

by keeping asking after that what the ratings were it just showed continued stupidity.

as a victorian i thought id give you some leeway, but FMD, how much do you need

It actually is shown here but not until midnight and I asked what the figures were for that timeslot. But ok, we've established that you can't give me the figures because you don't have them but as i said a simple yes of no would have cleared that up from the start.

While i know you're good at avoiding the topic at hand and answering questions, i'll still try one more time. I know you said the NRL should do more to show the league in Melbourne which i totally agree on, but would you be laughing as much if the Storm only rated 100k here up against an AFL game? Or would you just be happy that it's being showed live at all regardless of the figure?

Personally i wouldn't give a toss how it rated as long as it was on and it shows the NRL are trying to grow the game. I can't see one bad thing about that but obviously you see it differently.

Ice777 said:
It actually is shown here but not until midnight and I asked what the figures were for that timeslot. But ok, we've established that you can't give me the figures because you don't have them but as i said a simple yes of no would have cleared that up from the start.

While i know you're good at avoiding the topic at hand and answering questions, i'll still try one more time. I know you said the NRL should do more to show the league in Melbourne which i totally agree on, but would you be laughing as much if the Storm only rated 100k here up against an AFL game? Or would you just be happy that it's being showed live at all regardless of the figure?

Personally i wouldn't give a toss how it rated as long as it was on and it shows the NRL are trying to grow the game. I can't see one bad thing about that but obviously you see it differently.

the latter. id be happy it was being shown.

heres the but though, i wouldnt go around claiming RL was a national sport on the basis of poor ratings in melbourne.

AFL claims itself a national sport.

when you cut out all the BS, its basically a melbourne, adelaide and perth sport with teams in sydney and brisbane that with the advantage of SL and winning competition with additional spending on players all tilted in their favour, still have made minimal impact into RL areas.

if AFL was realistic about where it stands in nsw and queensland i wouldnt be at pains to point out their manifest shortcomings.

im sick of other sports bigging up their level of popularity to ridiculous levels.

despite all the hype and media, AFL is a marginal sport for a majority of the australian population

Brycey

Juniors
Ice777 said:
No, i was just referring to you only. Anyone who comes back twice with just the laugh emoticon pretty much sums up they have f**k all and no decent argument.
Dally isn't really a credible argument, most people will concede if they don't know an answer. Not Dally, instead of saving face and showing some humility he will carry on like a goose.

RL is not perfect in every area, and there are times where we are beat in certain aspects. Most people know this.

Brycey said:
Dally isn't really a credible argument, most people will concede if they don't know an answer. Not Dally, instead of saving face and showing some humility he will carry on like a goose.

RL is not perfect in every area, and there are times where we are beat in certain aspects. Most people know this.

Go bulldogs

Brycey

Juniors
dallymessenger said:

heres the but though, i wouldnt go around claiming RL was a national sport on the basis of poor ratings in melbourne.

when you cut out all the BS, its basically a melbourne, adelaide and perth sport with teams in sydney and brisbane that with the advantage of SL and winning competition with additional spending on players all tilted in their favour, still have made minimal impact into RL areas.

if AFL was realistic about where it stands in nsw and queensland i wouldnt be at pains to point out their manifest shortcomings.

im sick of other sports bigging up their level of popularity to ridiculous levels.

despite all the hype and media, AFL is a marginal sport for a majority of the australian population
Dally you are missing the point. We all know that AFL in QLD and NSW is struggling. What I will tell you though is they are everywhere promoting their brand which is worrying.

The point these Victorians are making is it does not matter how much AFL is struggling in QLD and NSW RL is struggling a lot more in Victoria. As a RL supporter it is a big piece of the pie I wish we could have.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
dallymessenger said:
19 NINE'S LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Nine 662,000 335,000 Not shown 327,000 Not shown Not shown

Not shown means what AwFuL man?

You are working under the assumption that I am an AFL guy. I have played league on and off for 15 years now. Was born in north queensland and support the cowboys.

I have however traveled a bit and can tell you that 1) league will never, never, never take over as the number one sport in victoria 2) the AFL wil never, never, never leave qld or nsw regardless of how desperately you want it to. 3) the AFL has enough money to continue to stay due to their tv rights agreement which is sh*tloads more than ours.

Hell, when i lived in tassie there was no league comp in the entire state. There was a rugby union comp but thats it. sh*t, when the ej whittan memorial game was on at the same time as origon the f**king origon wasn't on till midnight. If you want to talk population base then yes there are more people living in qld and nsw. If you want to count the number of states each code has a team in the afl wins out over league. Does that make either the national sport, who knows ? Does that mean that soccer is our national sport as it gets good crowds everywhere and tv ratings ?

You don't like afl, i get it. Right now though there administrators have a plan to expand there game, what do we have ? They have more money than us and a plan. They can keep spending millions on juniors and development officiers for the forceeable fututre. They can demand of their broadcaster live games into key developing markets. WHat the f**k can league demand from nine ? f**k all.

Crowing about a victory against AFL seems piontless when league is so popular in VIC/Tas/SA/WA it isn't even shown live seems a bit premature to me.

Brycey said:
Dally you are missing the point. We all know that AFL in QLD and NSW is struggling. What I will tell you though is they are everywhere promoting their brand which is worrying.

The point these Victorians are making is it does not matter how much AFL is struggling in QLD and NSW RL is struggling a lot more in Victoria. As a RL supporter it is a big piece of the pie I wish we could have.

that post was an answer to another persons question

but since you feel a need to discuss it after comments above i find that a little amusing

despite AFL promoting their brand everywhere for the past 10 yrs in queensland and nsw, theyve gotten largely nowhere.

with all the advantages they had with SL giving them a leg up, what does that tell you about their ability to push into RL areas?

if they struggle to expand into RL areas when the game has to deal with SL, theyve got buckleys once the game is back on their feet.

the sooner AFL stops talking s**t about itself and deal with the sporting realities the better.

any sport which claims it is a national one when its teams only get 96,000 and 70,000 when shown live into their respective markets is a monumental failure.

Brycey

Juniors
But don't we claim to be national, yet we cannot get those figures on a regular basis into non-heartland areas.

Ice777

Bench
dallymessenger said:

Thank you. That's all i needed to know.

That being said i'm not sure why you're bagging the sh*t out of the AFL when you want the NRL to do exactly the same thing. I'm tipping you wouldn't find it anywhere near as funny if league drew the same numbers down here as what the AFL does up there.

I can understand you bagging them for everything else but it's a bit hypocritical and just plain stupid to bag them for trying to grow the game which is exactly what you want the NRL to do and should do.

Just one more thing, why the hell would you give a f**k and care so much about people calling the AFL a national game? They think it is, you don't think it is, who cares? What makes you so consumed and and driven by it that you need to keep bringing up the same old stuff over and over again? Get over it mate it really isn't that big a deal.

Enjoy your team, enjoy watching the game you love, that's all that matters. I do, just not live when we're on free to air.

butchmcdick said:
You are working under the assumption that I am an AFL guy. I have played league on and off for 15 years now. Was born in north queensland and support the cowboys.

I have however traveled a bit and can tell you that 1) league will never, never, never take over as the number one sport in victoria 2) the AFL wil never, never, never leave qld or nsw regardless of how desperately you want it to. 3) the AFL has enough money to continue to stay due to their tv rights agreement which is sh*tloads more than ours.

Hell, when i lived in tassie there was no league comp in the entire state. There was a rugby union comp but thats it. sh*t, when the ej whittan memorial game was on at the same time as origon the f**king origon wasn't on till midnight. If you want to talk population base then yes there are more people living in qld and nsw. If you want to count the number of states each code has a team in the afl wins out over league. Does that make either the national sport, who knows ? Does that mean that soccer is our national sport as it gets good crowds everywhere and tv ratings ?

You don't like afl, i get it. Right now though there administrators have a plan to expand there game, what do we have ? They have more money than us and a plan. They can keep spending millions on juniors and development officiers for the forceeable fututre. They can demand of their broadcaster live games into key developing markets. WHat the f**k can league demand from nine ? f**k all.

Crowing about a victory against AFL seems piontless when league is so popular in VIC/Tas/SA/WA it isn't even shown live seems a bit premature to me.

who said league was ever going to take over in victoria, stupid assumption there.

unlike AFL, we dont need to expand much, given the area we are in comprise a majority of the australian population if we just hold our ground we should be very well in the future

if youd been reading about AFLs plans with all the time theyve changed their minds youd see its a load of s**t.

they wanted a team to relocate, the roos said no.
they wanted to expand, but new teams have to play at the gabba.

if AFL continues to have such poor ratings in nsw and queensland, i can assure you its TV deals will not compare to RLs, with or without news ltd involvement.

the fact that RL does so well in terms of ratings is something that the AFL would be mindful to be fearful of

Ice777 said:
Thank you. That's all i needed to know.

That being said i'm not sure why you're bagging the sh*t out of the AFL when you want the NRL to do exactly the same thing. I'm tipping you wouldn't find it anywhere near as funny if league drew the same numbers down here as what the AFL does up there.

I can understand you bagging them for everything else but it's a bit hypocritical and just plain stupid to bag them for trying to grow the game which is exactly what you want the NRL to do and should do.

Just one more thing, why the hell would you give a f**k and care so much about people calling the AFL a national game? They think it is, you don't think it is, who cares? What makes you so consumed and and driven by it that you need to keep bringing up the same old stuff over and over again? Get over it mate it really isn't that big a deal.

Enjoy your team, enjoy watching the game you love, that's all that matters. I do, just not live when we're on free to air.

easy, because AFL talks itself up, it gets a tv deal it doesnt deserve

its time RL as a game got a fair TV deal.

if we got a deal which was fair in comparison, id be more than happy.

we get more viewers and around half the amount of cash, WTF is that about?

as more people publicise the problem and journalists talk about it, hopefully the situation will correct itself.

and im sick of rival sports talking BS about themselves. let afl grow all it wants to, but the way it talks now youd think it had made a massive impact in nsw and qld

Brycey said:
But don't we claim to be national, yet we cannot get those figures on a regular basis into non-heartland areas.

all i hear is how AFL is national and RL is NSW and queensland with a joke of a side in melbourne.

then you look at viewing figures and see RL holding its own.

time to correct that perception!

Digga Hole

Juniors
dallymessenger said:
Now in a further blow to AFLs expansion plans here are the national figures on Pay TV.

http://www.astra.org.au/content/pdf/MediaReleases/ASTRA-Ratings-for-Week-080323.pdf

when RL and AFL shown in the same number of states and live against one another, which sport wins :

1 LIVE: NRL DRAGONS V TITANS Fox Sports 2 Mon 19:00 300 300 706 1,210
2 LIVE: NRL RAIDERS V DRAGONS Fox Sports 2 Sat 19:30 294 294 682 1,251
3 LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V STORM Fox Sports 2 Sat 17:30 294 294 648 1,166
4 LIVE: NRL TITANS V SHARKS Fox Sports 2 Sat 21:30 262 262 646 1,250
5 LIVE & ACTIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V MELBOURNE Fox Sports 1 Sun 16:30 198 198 510 1,091
6 LIVE: AFL PRE GAME SHOW Fox Sports 1 Sun 16:00 187 187 247 1,127
7 LIVE: AFL WESTERN BULLDOGS V ADELAIDE Fox Sports 1 Sun 13:00 184 184 463 1,095
8 LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V EELS Fox Sports 2 Sun 14:00 181 181 431 1,147
9 LIVE: FOOTBALL: WORLD CUP QUALIFIER CHINA V AUSTRALIAFox Sports 2 Wed 17:00 159 159 388 856
10 LIVE: SWIMMING: OLYMPIC TRIALS Fox Sports 3 Sun 19:30 135 135 276 1,185
11 THE SIMPSONS FOX8 Sun 20:30 128 159 1,907 1,287

AFL, national competition my a**e.

What that show is that Live NRL games that are not up against FTA competition beat the Live AFL games that have FTA competition. Cumulativly, which includes replays, they rate about the same. Not sure where the "blow" is.

Ice777

Bench
Brycey said:

Thank f**k for that, i didn't think it was that hard to understand but at least someone has got what i'm trying to say.

Just on the second part, i'm not trying to point out that league is struggling in Victoria. I'd love nothing more to see it build up as much as possible. I'm just trying to say that growth will be much slower and much harder if they continue (which they will) to treat the game down here with contempt in regards to what time they show it.

The AFL might be getting sh*t figures up there but at least they're showing some balls and having a crack.

Digga Hole said:
What that show is that Live NRL games that are not up against FTA competition beat the Live AFL games that have FTA competition. Cumulativly, which includes replays, they rate about the same. Not sure where the "blow" is.

no they dont.

cumulatively they stay in the same positions, typical AwFuL man.

explain this, why do Foxsports pay double the cash for AFL games vs RL games which have to compete with other AFL games on FTA and also dont rate as well as the NRL?

enjoy your moment in the sunshine re. value of TV deals.

commercial reality will come to play eventually.

the sport with the most viewers will get the most money eventually

Ziggy the God

First Grade
butchmcdick said:
But it is in a non tradional AFL state.

As another poster pointed out, at least the AFL fans in Qld are able to watch their game live unlike NRL fans in Victoria.

96 000 is a lot more than the 6000 or so who either bothered to tape the storm games or watch them at midnight in Victoria or Tassie. God only know what time it is on in WA or SA.

Why keep comparing it to the Storm?

Are the NRL trying to put another team down there? I must of missed it.

The AFL has been trumpeting from the rooftops that they are going to have a second team in both Sydney and Brisbane.

Well I can't wait to see how it will work after your arse was handed to you.

Any new side will mean that one game a week will be head to head against a League game. That will mean further reamings like last Friday.

Than we have mongs saying that AFL is as popular as League in Queensland. ROLF

Brycey

Juniors
Digga Hole said:
Mate you can twist it anyway you want. You got beat.

Latest posts