What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battle of Brisbane - Won

BuffaloRules

Coach
Mikeo said:
Last years prelim vs Parra rated a pathetic 242,000 in melb with NO AFL game on! 242K for a friggin prelim! The Collingwood-Geelong Preliminary Final nearly reached that number in Sydney (209,000) without the Swans even in it!

The Swans Prelim in 2006 got 339,000 in Sydney head to head with the NRL and in 2005 on a Friday night it rated 414,000 in Sydney.

So, if you're going to make comments, makes sure you back them up with sme reasonable apples vs apples comparisons or you'll just embarass yourself, champ.

How about you comparing apples v apples...

When was the Storm v Parra prelim played?? Sunday Arvo.

Where were all those AFL games played?? Friday Night.

Do you honestly think the Storm game would not have rated higher in Melb if it was shown in prime time??

Noa

First Grade
242,000 in hostile territory>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>96,000 heartland game involving Collingwood

Brutus

Referee
Mikeo said:
That's absolute garbage fuelled by more apples vs oranges comaprisons.

The entire basis for this quote from you is the fact the the Storm drew over 200,000 in melbourne last year for a live round 1 game at 7:30 on a high-rating Friday night into melbourne, two weeks before the AFL season even began. No AFL competition at all. And live to boot. The first match after losing the 2006 GF.

Watching the Storm get 117,000 in melbourne for a semi-final vs the Cowboys at the SFS a couple of years ago on the lower rating Saturday Night is a better example of where the Storm really sits in melbourne.

Last years prelim vs Parra rated a pathetic 242,000 in melb with NO AFL game on! 242K for a friggin prelim! The Collingwood-Geelong Preliminary Final nearly reached that number in Sydney (209,000) without the Swans even in it!

The Swans Prelim in 2006 got 339,000 in Sydney head to head with the NRL and in 2005 on a Friday night it rated 414,000 in Sydney.

So, if you're going to make comments, makes sure you back them up with sme reasonable apples vs apples comparisons or you'll just embarass yourself, champ.

Stop being a complete tit Dan with your constant apples, lemons and cabbage rubbish.

The bottom line is the Swans get absolutely SMASHED by virtually all commercial channels despite having NO FTA sporting content to contend with on a Saturday night.

They have been hyped up to the max by Channel 10 for years now yet their ratings are nothing short of pathetic and would be even more pathetic if Channel 9 decided to show some Saturday night NRL.

The Storm get no build up whatsover in Melbourne, are hardly ever shown line yet the few times they are shown live we see decent results compared to what the heavily promoted Swans get in Sydney.

Just going back to that Storm v Tigers game from 2007 rnd 1

Description Network Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth
6 NINE'S LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (Storm vs Tigers) Nine 991,000 421,000 238,000 332,000 A Not shown P

The Swans would be happy with even half that amount on a Saturday night in Sydney with no other sport on FTA.

Yes those same Swannies who have been shown either live or in prime time year after year after year.......

Ice777 said:
It's all well and good to laugh they only got 96,000, but i'd much rather get that amount of people watching rugby league here in Melbourne showing it live as opposed to the few thousand that might watch it at midnight when it's shown here.

They might be getting sh*t numbers but at least they're trying to grow the game in "foreign" territory which is more than i can say for the NRL down here. You laugh at the AFL showing some initiative, i laugh at the jokers running the NRL given we can't even see our own Melbourne team playing live Friday night let alone any other side which is just ridiculous.

I'd kill to only have 96K people watching rugby league here if it meant we got it live because it'd be tens of thousands more than what would watch it at midnight. But i somehow can't see that happening very soon unfortunately.

im a fan of the storm

and bagging the nrl which put them in the 14 team comp over sydney clubs, nah stop whinging.

if it were up to certain people in sydney your team would be kicked out tomorrow.

Brutus said:
Stop being a complete tit Dan with your constant apples, lemons and cabbage rubbish.

The bottom line is the Swans get absolutely SMASHED by virtually all commercial channels despite having NO FTA sporting content to contend with on a Saturday night.

They have been hyped up to the max by Channel 10 for years now yet their ratings are nothing short of pathetic and would be even more pathetic if Channel 9 decided to show some Saturday night NRL.

The Storm get no build up whatsover in Melbourne, are hardly ever shown line yet the few times they are shown live we see decent results compared to what the heavily promoted Swans get in Sydney.

Just going back to that Storm v Tigers game from 2007 rnd 1

Description Network Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Perth
6 NINE'S LIVE FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (Storm vs Tigers) Nine 991,000 421,000 238,000 332,000 A Not shown P

The Swans would be happy with even half that amount on a Saturday night in Sydney with no other sport on FTA.

Yes those same Swannies who have been shown either live or in prime time year after year after year.......

exactly.

if RL was shown live in melbourne wed get easily what the swans and lions get in ratings, without the promotion they get.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
dallymessenger said:
exactly.

if RL was shown live in melbourne wed get easily what the swans and lions get in ratings, without the promotion they get.

Do you think that league in Victoria would get 96 000 against a blockbuster AFL game ?

If so I will have some of what your having.

butchmcdick said:
Do you think that league in Victoria would get 96 000 against a blockbuster AFL game ?

no i dont.

i think more like 200,000.

but were only guessing.

right now the sport which calls itself national is failing on the TV sets of 55% of australias population.

if the storm are shown live against an AFL game and get 96,000 then well agree we are not more national than AFL either.

Digga Hole

Juniors
dallymessenger said:
no i dont.

i think more like 200,000.

but were only guessing.

right now the sport which calls itself national is failing on the TV sets of 55% of australias population.

if the storm are shown live against an AFL game and get 96,000 then well agree we are not more national than AFL either.

Now you have really lost it...:crazy:

Brutus

Referee
butchmcdick said:

You make it sound like 96,000 is such a big number :lol:

Ice777

Bench
dallymessenger said:
im a fan of the storm

and bagging the nrl which put them in the 14 team comp over sydney clubs, nah stop whinging.

if it were up to certain people in sydney your team would be kicked out tomorrow.

Way to conveniently miss the whole point. So does that mean that Storm fans can't bag the NRL just because they put us in the comp over Sydney sides? There's logic for you right there :sarcasm:

This isn't just about growing the Storm here, it's about growing the GAME down here and i don't know how the hell that's meant to happen when they don't show games live. Not just Storm games but every game. Don't you want that as well? Well if you do i don't know what the f**k you're dribbling about.

But that's ok, you keep laughing like the halfwit you are at the AFL's ratings in the northern states and completely ignore the fact that the NRL and channel 9 don't even show rugby league in the second biggest market in Australia at a decent hour. 96K watched the AFL in Queensland, very average figure i agree, but it's about 90K more than what saw rugby league down here.

Who gives a f**k that there's certain people in Sydney that would kick out the Storm tomorrow? They haven't been able to do it so they're obviously aren't important enough to be able to do it so i don't know for the life of me why you even brought that up. It couldn't be any more irrelevant.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Brutus said:
You make it sound like 96,000 is such a big number :lol:

But it is in a non tradional AFL state.

As another poster pointed out, at least the AFL fans in Qld are able to watch their game live unlike NRL fans in Victoria.

96 000 is a lot more than the 6000 or so who either bothered to tape the storm games or watch them at midnight in Victoria or Tassie. God only know what time it is on in WA or SA.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
dallymessenger said:
im a fan of the storm

Oh by the way mate, if league is so sucessful in victoria how come some of these ' certain people in sydney ' want them kicked out ?

I havn't seen any headlines about anybody in AFL wanting sydney or brisbane out of the comp, why is that ? If things are so sh*t with AFL in NSW and QLD why are the southern clubs not bleating about it all being a waste of time and money expanding the comp into new markets ?

butchmcdick said:
Oh by the way mate, if league is so sucessful in victoria how come some of these ' certain people in sydney ' want them kicked out ?

I havn't seen any headlines about anybody in AFL wanting sydney or brisbane out of the comp, why is that ? If things are so sh*t with AFL in NSW and QLD why are the southern clubs not bleating about it all being a waste of time and money expanding the comp into new markets ?

not brisbane just sydney, why do they want them out, ask them?

Ice777 said:
Way to conveniently miss the whole point. So does that mean that Storm fans can't bag the NRL just because they put us in the comp over Sydney sides? There's logic for you right there :sarcasm:

This isn't just about growing the Storm here, it's about growing the GAME down here and i don't know how the hell that's meant to happen when they don't show games live. Not just Storm games but every game. Don't you want that as well? Well if you do i don't know what the f**k you're dribbling about.

But that's ok, you keep laughing like the halfwit you are at the AFL's ratings in the northern states and completely ignore the fact that the NRL and channel 9 don't even show rugby league in the second biggest market in Australia at a decent hour. 96K watched the AFL in Queensland, very average figure i agree, but it's about 90K more than what saw rugby league down here.

Who gives a f**k that there's certain people in Sydney that would kick out the Storm tomorrow? They haven't been able to do it so they're obviously aren't important enough to be able to do it so i don't know for the life of me why you even brought that up. It couldn't be any more irrelevant.

do you have trouble reading?

yes the NRL should have better TV access into melbourne but its not all negative from the nrl re. the storm.

im laughing that anyone can claim a sport is national based on 110,000 people watching it out of 11 million.

if you miss that point then the cold weather in melbourne has frozen your brain cells.

Digga Hole said:
Now you have really lost it...:crazy:

the brisbane lions game on FTA into brisbane ranked around 20th most watched programs that night.

what that that tell you about AFLs expansion into queensland.

a failure.

and thats with 3 straight prem. wins not long ago.

butchmcdick said:

As another poster pointed out, at least the AFL fans in Qld are able to watch their game live unlike NRL fans in Victoria.

96 000 is a lot more than the 6000 or so who either bothered to tape the storm games or watch them at midnight in Victoria or Tassie. God only know what time it is on in WA or SA.

3 premierships, millions invested in juniors, claims of a national competition and still its a development area.

looks like the people of queensland and NSW really love RL then.

as they comprise a majority of the australian population that leaves AFL lagging behind RL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anybody know where to find viewing figures? I'm interested to know how many are watching the RL on a Sunday afternoon in Perth. Would expect with the summer ending soon they will rise.

Brutus

Referee
butchmcdick said:

Or the 48,000 prime time SE QLD viewers for Saints v Carlton live:lol:

The only reason the AFL is on TV in Sydney and Brisbane is because of the TV deals Vlad writes up, nothing to do with games being shown in prime time on merit.

48,000 on a Saturday night in prime time. The Iron Chef is back in business!:lol: Channel 10 must be doing cartwheels.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23458522-10389,00.html

More people (147,000) watched the delayed Parramatta-Newcastle telecast on Friday night (in queensland) than watch the Lions on Seven.

"Obviously it's not great for us and does pull down the strength of the numbers for the week by a point or two.

comment - more people chose to watch 2 interstate teams on delayed telecast over 2 hours when the game started than watch their "own" local team at a much earlier time.

147,000 for a delayed telecast of RL into brisbane with no queensland team vs 96,000 for a game involving the local team.

game, set and match
:lol: :lol: