What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Becoming A Referee and a Coach

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
I want to know how and where I can complete a Coaching And Referreing course. I Really want to get involved and because of the gayness of my Private school i can only play Rugby. And until i leave i want to become involved with League still by doing these two things.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Mighty Height knows all about refereeing opportunities. As for coaching, there are certificate courses you need to do.

Red Bear

Referee
Where do you live Dragon Fanatic? If your from wollongong you will need to contact the steelers club. You need toget 95% to get in tho :) Im gunna be doing the exam soon n hopefully reffing after easter. Good luck tho, we need more refs.

***MH***

Bench
southernsaints on the ball there with the ref info for your district
you can get him at home as well.
Michael Clapson (Secretary)
9531 2326
they'll sign you up for a prelim course then you'll get a few games then your level 1 ticket....

have a read of some referee's experiences here at
http://www.nswrl.com.au/index.cgi?sID=24
top read that,
good on ya on getting involved!

for coaching classes, contact a junior club in the area and they'll put you through one.... most clubs are always looking for new coaches...
alternatively, email dave@nswrl.com.au (RE: Coaches Course) and he'll pass on some info about upcoming courses.

skeepe

Immortal
Mighty Heighty I'm also interested in refereeing, just wondering about the fitness requirements and that sort of thing, and also how long does the course take? I live in Glebe in Sydney, so from looking at the Ref's Association page I think I'd be in the Balmain district, correct?

***MH***

Bench
balmain referee's association have their own website that has heaps of info to cover your intrests...
check out http://www.balmainrefs.com/
or give Luke Bugden (Secretary) a call on 0414 951 519
or e-mail on secretary@balmainrefs.com
fitness is essential, basically just as hard (if not harder!) as the footy players train........ associations hold their own training sessions and encourage out of house training too. The course should take approx six weeks and then you'll start on field with some assessments before you get level 1.
you'll find that joining referee's associations have great mateship and will be worth your while if you love your league...
ref associations always need more refs so if you feel that anyone is intrested, pass on your location and i'll give ya's a number to contact to start up...

Doctor

Bench
Good to see league supporters getting involved in the refereeing ranks.

You are to be commended for being willing to give it a go - just don't cop any rubbish from people. The abuse will come (been there, done that - but league's abuse will be greater) - but patient and sensible referees who stand their ground without being a Nazi with a whistle will earn respect.

I know a few league referees, and I've also had the pleasure of meeting one of the NRL's most prominent refs - they all say that it is tough starting out. League and AFL have one of the highest referee turnover-rates in all sports - something 50-55% of all refs give up in their first year.

If you start, then stick with it for a while - set yourself the goal of commitment to the job for 2-3 years - perhaps longer. Set other reasonable goals - like making a particular grade, or specific areas to work on like communication and fitness.

But above all - have fun, it's just a game. :clap:

***MH***

Bench
Oswin said:
Good to see league supporters getting involved in the refereeing ranks.

You are to be commended for being willing to give it a go - just don't cop any rubbish from people. The abuse will come (been there, done that - but league's abuse will be greater) - but patient and sensible referees who stand their ground without being a Nazi with a whistle will earn respect.

I know a few league referees, and I've also had the pleasure of meeting one of the NRL's most prominent refs - they all say that it is tough starting out. League and AFL have one of the highest referee turnover-rates in all sports - something 50-55% of all refs give up in their first year.

If you start, then stick with it for a while - set yourself the goal of commitment to the job for 2-3 years - perhaps longer. Set other reasonable goals - like making a particular grade, or specific areas to work on like communication and fitness.

But above all - have fun, it's just a game. :clap:
exactly right, every ref will have a bad experience at least once in their carrers but the good experiences you get overwhelmingly outweigh the bad. I've reffed grand finals at belmore and leichardt ovals, demo matches at SFS, Showground and Telstra... nothing beats walking out to grounds like those in front of a packed grandstand. It's a great way to get involved in league and it's the best seat in the house to watch some great footy!

Latest posts