What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy says what everyone else (except John Lang) is thinking

adamkungl

Immortal
Bellamy proposes Inglis switch to fullback

• Print
  • - Font
  • + Font
  • RSS

Steve Jancetic AAPSun, Mar 13, 2011 - 7:01 PM

The man who helped turn Greg Inglis into the best centre in the world believes South Sydney would benefit from handing him the red and green No.1 jumper.
Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy, who introduced Inglis to the NRL as a fullback/winger before shifting him to the centres to accommodate Billy Slater at the back, claimed the Test and Queensland State of Origin star's best position remained fullback.
Inglis had a quiet debut for the Rabbitohs in Friday night's loss to local rivals Sydney Roosters, with his only meaningful contribution a second-half try after reeling in a Chris Sandow bomb.
For the most part, the Bunnies' prized off-season recruit was a frustrated bystander, a problem Bellamy believes could be alleviated by moving him back to fullback.
"I think Greg's best position is fullback ... the only reason he didn't play a whole heap of fullback here was because of Billy," Bellamy told ABC Radio.
"Whenever Billy was out and Greg was playing, Greg always went back to fullback because I honestly believe fullback's his best position.
"If they put Greg back to fullback, I think it's a good thing for the Rabbitohs in that Greg would be able to get into the game when he wants to and get the ball in situations that he wants because just being parked out in that left centre position sometimes he drifts out of the game a little bit.
"He's just such a great ball-runner with his pace and his anticipation and his knowledge of the game but also his size as well - he's a hard guy to handle."
Complicating matters, however, would be South Sydney coach John Lang's unwillingness to make such a dramatic change just one game into the season.
It would also force one of Lang's most reliable disciples - veteran fullback Rhys Wesser - out of the side, with Nathan Merritt and Fetuli Talanoa both having cemented spots on the wing.
There would also be concerns over Inglis' ability to handle the extra work he would have to do at fullback, with the loss to the Roosters his first match since September last year due to off-season shoulder surgery.
"I'm not quite sure with Rhys there, John's plans with him. But if he decides to put Greg at fullback, I'm sure he'll do a real good job for them," Bellamy said.
The Rabbitohs are expected to learn the extent of Sam Burgess' shoulder injury early this week, while veteran back-rower Michael Crocker is expected to be available for his first match of the season after overcoming a knee injury.

http://www.nrl.com/bellamy-proposes-inglis-switch-to-fullback/tabid/10874/newsid/61720/default.aspx

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Wesser is definitely passed it.

These days the one position that has become the most important for a successful Rugby League club is Fullback. All the top teams have a good one and unfortunately Wesser, with his lack of speed and the mistakes in his game, is well down the list. Even Nathan Merritt would be a better option for Souths.

But moving Greg Inglis there could prove a real masterstroke and unleash the player that is lurking within.

I listened to the Bellamy interview and there was no mistaking his certainty on the subject. It is definitely worth listening to.

adamkungl

Immortal
Wesser is woeful, and I definitely agree that fullback is Inglis' best position. Especially if he drops a few more kg as the season goes on.

bomberman

Juniors
GI was just not fit the other night, despite that he scored a great try and was very good in defence on most occasions. He will be fine at centre, Wesser played well the other night also.

stormbati

Bench
Fullback might actually force him to lose a couple kgs as he'll be running around more. He'll be a massive headache for tired forwards and it'll be a harder task marking up on him like the Roosters did.

Mr Saab

Referee
Cant believe that Souffs gave Wesser a contract. He was good back in 2003. Will be another LOL @ Souffs 2011

AuDragon

Juniors
Please Lang, leave GI at Centre and keep Wesser at FB. Wouldn't want souffs to actually be a top 8 chance! :sarcasm:

MightyBronco

Juniors
GI would be a terrifying fullback.....but i reckon the numbers on his back are only going to get bigger, as he himself gets bigger.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah, he sure looks fat at the moment. Maybe he should shift to lock or second row?

Lang won't drop his superstar Wesser and he definitely won't drop his other superstar Talanoa just to accommodate Inglis in his best position.

Lol @ someone saying he scored a great try, he jumped 5 cm off the ground to catch the ball with two defenders having no interest in contesting the ball.

Eels Dude

Coach
Jarryd Hayne is far too big for a fullback at 98kgs... Greg Inglis is like 110kgs. Fullbacks need to be mobile, nimble, and change direction easily. I'd love to see Inglis at fullback just to see him caught out. Put a grubber behind him and the chaser will score faster than he has time to turn around and watch it.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think a few years ago Inglis would have been good at fullback but in 2011 unless he drops 10-15kgs i think he'll struggle to be mobile enough.

soufs bigger concern than fullback is their halves. even if inglis is fit, he's only going to be useful if he gets quality ball

Canard

Immortal
Fullback is limited by weight??

Who is to say that centre is John Lang's preferred Inglis position.

I have a feeling its more like Inglis is channeling Keyshawn Johnson and demading to be played at centre.

"Im playing centre, and my decision is final!"

Eels Dude

Coach
Fullback is limited by weight??

Who is to say that centre is John Lang's preferred Inglis position.

I have a feeling its more like Inglis is channeling Keyshawn Johnson and demading to be played at centre.

"Im playing centre, and my decision is final!"

Every position is determined by weight...

You don't see any 90kg props running around. Or any 105 kg halfbacks. They have to the correct size to succeed in those positions. And Inglis at this current stage is far too big, and thus less mobile and slow off the mark, to be a fullback.

Latest posts