What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy stops short of dive accusation

Bellamy stops short of dive accusationSeptember 23, 2007 - 9:59PM

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy says he would be concerned if Jarryd Hayne had taken a dive, but stopped short of accusing the Parramatta fullback of doing so in Sunday's preliminary final at Telstra Dome.
Hayne was floored by a Jeremy Smith high shot late on in the Storm's 26-10 win, the NSW State of Origin winger laying motionless for about 20 seconds after the hit.
It was long enough for the video referee to have a look at the incident, which he then deemed worthy of being put on report.
Smith now faces an anxious wait for the findings of the match review committee, which will determine on Monday whether he'll be charged ahead of Sunday's grand final against Manly.
Hayne quickly rebounded to his feet after Smith had been called out by referee Tony Archer, the fullback earning the ire of the crowd and leading Bellamy to question his motives.
"He got up and played on there, but at the end of the day I don't know how hurt he was," Bellamy said.
"If he wasn't hurt, hopefully that doesn't happen too much in our game.
"It's not good for our game but he could have been hurt, I'm not saying that he wasn't."
Hayne has already denied taking a dive once this season.
He was accused of doing so by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett in a match against the Broncos in July.
Hayne was unavailable for comment after the game.
© 2007 AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Bellamy-stops-short-of-dive-accusation/2007/09/23/1190486138305.html

hybrideel

Bench
i don't know if i'm wrong here but it looked to me like Jarryd was up about to play the ball when Archer blew the whistle and called Smith out. If that is how it happened then i think it's a bit rich to say he rebounded once the penalty was given

strider

Post Whore
i know bellamy is a knowledgable guy, has the ability to make average footballers very good footballers, can spot talent and guide it to greatness and might be a nice guy off the field (i dunno, i've never met him) ...... but in all honesty - HE sh*tS ME TO TEARS!!!

He is one of those coaches who pushes every rule to the limit (and generally goes beyond) to try and get an advantage ..... some might say its good coaching, but I think in the long term it f**ks the game up because we then have to over-officiate it to combat all the crap such coaches come up with

And the main thing that gets my goat is all the grapple/choke/twist/whatever sh*t that has gone on ..... it IS dangerous and despite all the denials I have absolutely no doubt it is coached (its not isolated, all their players do it) ..... for a coach to make his team do such sh*t and THEN have the hide to deny it is f**king lame - I'd have more respect for the guy if he just admitted they do it, accepted its not what the game wants and moved on ..... and to top it off the lame twats at the NRL let them get away with it forever, and then throw the book at someone else (see jason ryles who did nothing compared to waht the storm has gotten away with for years)

Joe Davola

Juniors
Hayne got hit round the head, so I got no problems that he didn't just bounce to his feet and play the ball.

The thing that kills it for Hayne is the way he lay there like he was dead........ that was over the top and he has done the same before.

Nikki

Coach
Hmmmm... But their white board at half time proved that Melbourne aren't cheats...

WRESTLE!!!!

:x :x :x

Nikki said:
Hmmmm... But their white board at half time proved that Melbourne aren't cheats...

WRESTLE!!!!

I saw that too, but wrestling is not allowed, oops sorry it;s the News Ltd Storm they can do it.

Bellamy was a very average footballer and was lucky enough to get some lessons from Wayne Bennett for a few years. Melbourne are basiclly another Queensland team as that is where most of the side has come from the Queensland Cup.

sh*t I hate Manly, but I hate Melbourne more.
I hope they both lose.

Nikki said:

WRESTLE!!!!

I haven't been through all the threads (too sad) to see if it has already been mentioned, but did anyone else see the new cousin of the Crusher (Second cousin of the Grappler) - "The Ripper"

Nice way to put someone's shoulder out of commission for some time (ie/Cayless)

Kornstar

Coach
KaboobieGarfunkelShazam said:
I haven't been through all the threads (too sad) to see if it has already been mentioned, but did anyone else see the new cousin of the Crusher (Second cousin of the Grappler) - "The Ripper"

Nice way to put someone's shoulder out of commission for some time (ie/Cayless)

As said on the BSB this morning, it WAS deliberate and it worked, Cayless was off the field longer than he should have been!!!

V1er

Juniors
Storm should be the last people to talk, some of their tactics yesterday left a lot to be desired. cayless nearly having his shoulder ripped out, Reddy being held around the head by lima and storm get a penatly from it.

Bigfella

Coach
Agree completely Strider.

And if anyone is as bad as Bellamy, it's Hasler.

The entire season to be decided by the two best wrestling defensive teams.

Halftime score will be nil-nil, with both sides doing so much work in the tackle that there will be only time for one set of six each.

Fathead

Bench
and the commentary was basically accusing HAyne of diving - lucky Sterlo was bringing some sense to the conversation...

The Colonel

Immortal
Not sure how a swinging arm to the head constitutes a dive...... regardless of if he stayed down or not it still somes under scrutiny. Can't belive it had to go the video ref anyway - Archer shouldn't have missed it.

Grail

Juniors
Nikki said:

WRESTLE!!!!

Yer an idiot.
Wrestle =/= grapple. Every team wrestles, and you'll find that every team has wrestling coaches. It's about slowing the play the ball down, by ensuring that when you tackle someone you can get them on their back. Parra do it, so are we cheats?

Juniors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki

WRESTLE!!!!

Yer an idiot.
Wrestle =/= grapple. Every team wrestles, and you'll find that every team has wrestling coaches. It's about slowing the play the ball down, by ensuring that when you tackle someone you can get them on their back. Parra do it, so are we cheats?

atleast one of your supporters isnt wearing his blue and gold sunnies today, i know for a fact parramatta have a wrestling coach, hypocrits

i spose we all missed haynes little wink after he milked the penalty too???

The Colonel

Immortal
He shouldn't have needed to milk the penalty if Archer had have done his job...... or did you miss the swinging arm to his head too?

fish eel

Immortal
If Jarryd was hit, say around the shoulders and stayed down - dive.

But he wasnt. He was hit high. No doubt about it. He has every right,IMO,as does any other player, when they are the victim of foul play, to try and put their side in the best possible position.

Or maybe I just watch too much soccer!

Suitman

Post Whore
I've got no problem him staying down if he was hurting, I just wish he'd cut the theatrics.

Suity

El Diablo

Post Whore
Melbourne are doing their best to get Smith off by trying to blame Hayne for his swinging arm. it worked for them last week when Bellamy had a cry and i have no doubt it will work again.

Latest posts