What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy was not happy

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
watching that press conference you could see that belamy was seething with some of those selections... and can anyone really blame him.

these selectors have shown a perpensity for this in the past, but this tops it off. they need to go.. they shouldnt even be there this year!

idris on the bench.. remember we tried a centre on the bench once before.. didnt work. i dont think anyone of sound mind (other then our selectors of course) could have come up with this combination of players

Last edited:

Greenbits

Juniors
watching that press conference you could see that belamy was seething with some of those selections... and can anyone really blame him.

these selectors have shown a perpensity for this in the past, but this tops it off. they need to go.. they shouldnt even be there this year!

idris on the bench.. remember we tried a centre on the bench once before.. didnt work. i dont think anyone of sound mind (other then our selectors of course) could have come up with this combination of players

Phil Gould was calling for Idris to be selected on the bench on the weekend.

I think its pretty clear the media picks the NSW team.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Geez this annoys me. There are some unusual selections sure, but the game is 10 days away, and there's two more to get it right if they're wrong.

Get behind the team! We must look pathetic to the Queenslanders the way we bash our own state players...

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Gould is an idiot and is in a position of no accountability, so he just says what ever he likes and no body holds it to him!

STG-Dragon

Juniors
Geez this annoys me. There are some unusual selections sure, but the game is 10 days away, and there's two more to get it right if they're wrong.

Get behind the team! We must look pathetic to the Queenslanders the way we bash our own state players...

f**k that! Idris is a f**king gimmick just like the Wolfman lol should never have even had a look-in to Origin!

Karlos

Juniors
Although many did, I didnt really have a problem with Idris being in the blues team. Putting him on the bench makes absolutely no sense though. Nobody is ever totally happy with a Blues team but this takes the cake as one of the more ridiculous selection decisions over the last few years.

Hayne should have been FB too.

dragonfire

Bench
yep why you would carry a centre on the bench is beyond me. The only way that squad works is if Hayne plays fullback, Tahu wing and Idris centre with Gidley coming off the bench

abpanther

Staff member

f**k up dude, forums exist for people to express opinions, if it annoys you don't read it.

Just because we are supporters doesn't mean we can't express frustrations at the terrible job our selectors have done over the past few years, I mean it's clear that plenty of these players have been picked on reputation, not on form.

And I agree with the other poster who said that the team is picked by the NSW media, no other way to justify the selections of Gidley, Idris, Tahu, etc...

Apey

Staff member
He did that forced laugh with a cheeky grin he does when he's pissed off something but doesn't want to drag it on.

Looked pissed off to me, who wouldn't be with those dinosaurs.. McCarthy looked like it was past his bed time at the interview.

mxlegend99

Referee
Pathetic team without doubt. Looking at the spine alone, the only player that is even remotely close to Origin standard in his position is Michael Ennis. QLD will annihilate that team.

Tahu is talked up for his ability to put on a big hit, but in reality he's just a massive liability in defence. Likewise with Idris. This team looks like it was picked based on size alone... if form or ability had anything to do with the squad it wouldn't look anything like that at all. There are so many joke selections that having Gidley in the team doesn't seem that bad.

Sleep

Juniors
He has every right to be. I believe it was last year or the year before he publicly said he hadn't got the team he wanted.

This years team is the worst we've named as far as I can remember. There are some players that have no right to be in the squad. Their form isn't fit to carry my garbage.

The selectors are to blame for the upcoming loss. I honestly believe they just flip through the media and pick on hype.

Tahu?! Idris?! :lol:

Spot On

Coach
I thought Bellamy looked pretty pleased with what he's got. As he said at the beginning there were only two positions that required extended debate before reaching a decision. That sounds like he is content with at least 15 of the 17. Maybe he got what he wanted in the other two positions as well??

ByRd

First Grade
Some weird selections for sure:

- Gidley at Fullback (just LOL) Hayne/Dugan much better options
- Tahu over Morris/Jennings
- Lyon at 5/8
- No Gallen
- Idris on the bench (does not make sense at all, the kid will be something good but is not ready yet)

There are too many people out of position and i dont know but this is a bad team and doesnt give us much confidence heading into game 1 but i will be there cheering them on and hoping for a miracle win.

Last edited:

MSIH

Bench
Can't believe Idris and Tahu got starts. Well I can believe it with these peanuts running the show, I just don't want to.

typicalfan

Coach
The problem is we move players around all the time. We don't settle on a team like QLD do and only make changes unless they are really really needed.

At the moment the worst selections are the Idris, Tahu, Lyon selections. Lyon should be a walk up centre, best centre in the competition apart from Inglis right now instead of Tahu. With Ennis and Kimmorley calling the shots it gave us an opportunity to put in a really good running 5/8 like Barrett, Campese or Carney. Each of those 3 without the pressure of calling the plays would have been perfect.

Also Idris on the bench means we carry a forward light and while Creagh, Watmough and Waterhouse are 80 minute NRL players, they aren't 80 minute origin players. Willie Mason would have been perfect off the bench alongside big Tom, he is experienced and he is big, much bigger than biggest human Idris.

Gallen or Hindmarsh should be considered very unlucky indeed. Both are 80 minute origin players.

ByRd

First Grade
1. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. Lyon
4. Cooper
5. Jennings
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Perry
11. Gallen
12. Creagh
13. Lewis

14. Watmough
15. Mason
16. TLL
17. Bird/Gidley (utility)

A much better team than the one named.

Lambretta

First Grade
Lyon admitted he wanted to play centre, so if thats the case why pick him at five eighth? He's only a fill in five eighth at best.

There are three genuine ball playing, add in kicking game five eighths who play in that position in the whole of NSW. Soward, Campese and Barrett. Those were your choices. So Bird, Lewis, Lyon, Carney etc etc all got looked at. It just doesnt make sense.

NSW seem to still believe that they have Andrew Johns playing half back and it doesnt matter who they play at five eighth.

Here's a f**king hint NSW selectors. Queensland have a great hooker, a great full back, a great five eighth and a great half back.

If you havent got those, then dont bother.

You need the best players in the position they represent, not to pick someone and hope he can plug a gap. That might work when you're playing NRL against inferior opposition. That wont work against Queensland.

Gidley should be the only half on the bench. Carrying Idris so you can bring him to centre, move Tahu to the wing, place Hayne at full back and Gidley to dummy half and Ennis to the bench. Musical f**king chairs against the best players on the planet in the middle of a game? Tell me that makes sense.