What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hornby To Announce Retirement Today ?

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
If he does he has been great for this club never forget what he has done. It's been one year too late IMO but anyway,

hermidale1

Juniors
My tip is he will retire, then take on a coaching role within the club. I wouldn't mind betting maybe as assistant coach to the 20's to later come through.

blacklock

Juniors
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...irement-from-nrl/story-e6frfgbo-1226454644571

DRAGONS skipper Ben Hornby will announce his retirement today after a disappointing run to close out the NRL season. The Dragons have called a press conference for 11am with Hornby, CEO Peter Doust and coach Steve Price attending.
Hornby, 32, skippered the club to the 2010 premiership under Wayne Bennett and was contracted until the end of next year.
His form has been down this year in a Dragons side that bombed out of the finals race by losing to the Cowboys last night.
A Dragons official confirmed the news this morning.
“Ben has thought long and hard about his future for quite some time and this is the right time to be retiring for both himself and the club.”

jenninga

First Grade
As much as i have been critical of Hornby this year ,he has been one of my favourite players and we should salute his career.
I hope he stays involved with the club.

saint06

Juniors
Good call Benny.

No doubt he will added to the walk of fame outside Kogarah. He has served the club well and i think this is a good decision.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
He hasn't been playing too well but he deserves respect.

It will be a sad day to see a club legend walk away after such a bad season.

All the best Hornby, you will be remembered for trying your guts out and holding up that premiership trophy in 2010.

You will be missed

Saint Angelo

Juniors
He hasn't been playing too well but he deserves respect.

It will be a sad day to see a club legend walk away after such a bad season.

All the best Hornby, you will be remembered for trying your guts out and holding up that premiership trophy in 2010.

You will be missed

My thoughts exactly.

RESPECT !!!

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
Respect goes out to Ben Hornby for an outstanding career and unquestionable commitment to the Dragons.
Although he has ended his career in a below average season for us, nobody can take away the fact that he is a premiership winning captain with this great club !
I wish him all the best for the future, and hope he remains involved in the club.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
i really really hope that he is involved in our club someway ! he is such a legend and i dead set am going to cry when watching this announcement .. i got excited i thought it was steve price steping down or doust leaving..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hornby has been a fantastic ambassador for the club and will go in the record books along some very special people who wore the red V for captaining the side to a Grand Final victory. He has been excellent and has put the club first at all times.

One thing that really bugs me about Ben Hornby's career is he was never honoured for his captaincy and given the credit he deserves. In his first year he got them to the Minor Premiership only for Cam Smith from memory to get the gong, and the following year winning the Minor Premiership and getting to a GF for Anasta to be awarded Captain of the year. 2 win MP 2 years in a row and a GF win and did not get an award whish is disgraceful. Especially losing out to a guy who walks away from the club 2 years later. Better still he was not wanted by the club so how good a captain was he?

st.phil

Bench
He has been a true legend of the club and a great player. This will save his name around the club - one more year and that would have been hard!

Now...can cooper join him...worst game I have seen from him last night...ever. Completely lost his speed combined with poor options and stupidity reacting to Tamou. Watching Linnett and on the opposite side watching coops made for very depressing viewing.

Oh well, one way or the other we will have a new half next year. Does that mean we have signed a new one and it hasn't been announced or are we going to go with the Soward/Stanley combo? The later worries me because Stanley is terribly injury prone, who will be their backup?. In any case time will tell.

Two great clubmen going in the one season, there is certainly a changing of the guard. Lets look on the bright side, exciting times ahead for our great club.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Hornby-To-Retire-At-Seasons-End/62138

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Ben Hornby has announced his decision to retire from rugby league at the end of this season on Tuesday.
Hornby, 32, a local Illawarra junior from the Corrimal Cougars, made the decision to step-down despite having the option of a further one-year contract extension.
“It is a difficult time and decision to walk away from the game but having played footy since I was nine and had 13 seasons in first grade I have decided that it is time to move on,” said Hornby.
“Whilst physically I could probably continue, mentally I have had enough.
“I feel like I have achieved everything there is to achieve in the game and it is not fair to myself, my team mates or the Club to continue if I can’t commit mentally to the level required to play in the NRL.
Hornby made his first grade debut for the Club during the 2000 campaign against the Penrith Panthers in Round 23 and is currently the Dragons record holder for total number of first-grade appearances, having made 271 first-grade appearances to date.
Watch more: click for an extended interview with retiring Captain Ben Hornby
The Dragons skipper made his Australian representative debut in 2006 as well as donning the NSW Blues State of Origin jersey on three occasions between 2004-2008.
“To hold the Club record for the number of first grade games, Captain the Club to a Premiership, represent and NSW and Australia is definitely not something I ever dreamed would be possible,” said Hornby.
“I love the Dragons and feel very proud and privileged to have led this Club and achieved what I have but it is time for me to move on and in particular I am looking forward to being able to spend some more time with my young family.
Dragons CEO Peter Doust and Head Coach Steve Price both joined Hornby for the formal announcement today, supporting the captain’s decision as well as sharing their thoughts on his services to the Club.
“Ben is a truly inspiration football player, he always puts his body on the line and the Club first every week,” said Price.
“Only people within our Club truly understand what a special character he is and the wonderful qualities that he possesses.
“He is an outstanding leader and great Captain, someone who has been a great support to me throughout this season and replacing him will not be easy, he is the spirit of our football club”.
Doust was similar in his praise towards the one-club player.
“It is a pretty emotional time for a lot of people involved at the Dragons when a player and person the calibre of Ben Hornby decides to retire,” said Doust.
“He is a very proud one club man who has been an outstanding leader both on and off the field.
“Ben epitomises everything the Dragons stand for and is an inspiration to future generations.
"He is a local junior who began his career with the Corrimal Cougars and worked his way up through the Steelers pathways programs into the NRL, New South Wales and Australia.
“His record speaks for itself, the most capped Dragon of all time, a Premierships winning Captain and representative player who has achieved it all.”
Hornby indicated that he wasn’t exactly sure what life post this season would hold but hoped to remain associated with the game in some capacity.
“I’m not exactly too certain what I intend to do once I retire but Rugby League is a big part of my life as are the Dragons so I would like to be able to remain involved in some capacity,” said Hornby.
“I have always thought that I would go into coaching but now is not the right time for me to be focused on what is next, I still have a job to complete with the team on the field for the remainder of the season.”
Hornby and Dean Young will both play their final home game at WIN Stadium this Saturday against the Warriors.

Forget about this season. The going out a winner thing doesn't always happen, and who cares, really. It's what he's contributed over his career that matters. Whenever someone mentions Benny Hornby, I'll always remember him holding the premiership trophy aloft, and his "true believers" speech.

Thanks Benny, you've given all we Saints supporters some very happy memories. Cheers and best of luck. You're a legend.

Latest posts