What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross owes us nothing, says South Sydney boss Shane Richardson

* Brent Read
* February 05, 2011 12:00AM

SOUTH Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson says Ben Ross owes the club nothing.

Ross disagrees. He says he owes the Rabbitohs everything.

"When I was down and out and Cronulla said they didn't want me any more because of my neck (injury), Souths jumped at the chance and allowed me to train and rehabilitate and pay for my last operation," said Ross, whose two-year wait to play rugby league again will come to an end at Redfern Oval tonight.

"I owe them everything. They're a really good club, from Russell Crowe down to the guys who run around the gym and fill up water bottles. These last two years have been really hard. They have helped get me through it. I think I owe them a lot. Once I get out and play, hopefully I can repay them by helping them win games."

Ross isn't the only player making a comeback this weekend _ Newcastle forward Chris Houston will return after beating drug charges and Sydney Roosters winger Justin Carney is back from a serious leg injury _ but he's easily the most inspiring.

For two years he refused to call time on his career. He underwent surgery on his neck, suffered setback after setback. But he refused to give in and tonight he receives his reward when he leads the Rabbitohs in their opening trial against Newtown.

"It is not about how well he plays, it's about getting through it and feeling confident at the end of it," Richardson said.

"The journey is not over yet. Tomorrow night is another part of it. I made the point he has nothing to prove to anybody. He has just got to prove it to himself that he's fit to play.

"He owes Souths nothing."

Ross's sister Kirsten will watch him play for the first time since the 2003 grand final after jetting in from Queensland. His parents David and Jenny are also in town. It's a special night for everyone in the Ross family.

"I am pretty excited about seeing her," Ross said of his sister.

"I haven't seen my family in over eight months. I got to hang out with my dad today. It's a big game for me. It compares to the grand finals and my debut and Origin matches. It's something I am really excited about.

"I was talking to Gordie (Tallis) about it yesterday. He said the only people who can understand what you have been through are the people who have actually had it done. It's true. Words can't describe the pain you go through mentally and physically, all the ups and downs. It's something you have to experience and I hope no one does have to experience it.

"But they will. Some people will. It's not the best thing in the world."

No one could blame Ross if he gives it away after tonight's game. He's achieved what he set out to do. But the former Queensland frontrower insists he still has goals _ and he wants to repay his debt to Souths by helping the club to a premiership.

"I suppose it's an accomplishment in a way," he said.

"I put my mind to something I really wanted to do and that was to play rugby league again.

"That got me back to the stage where I am able to play and I am really excited about achieving that goal.

"I am a pretty big goal-setter in my life, in everything I do. I have set goals and the first one is to step back on the park.

"There's other ones continuing on from there that I hold inside and hope to do."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/spo....f-1226000434981

soc123_au

Staff member
Hope he gets through ok & doesn't get broken. Good bloke & player. I wasn't happy when we sent him to the Sharks.

coombsy

Juniors
He will only play first grade if it is deserved. If he is playing well he would deserve to get a shot just like any other.

Latest posts