What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Ross

chewsta

First Grade
Im glad big Benny is back. He suffered some horrific injuries busting his ass for us, regardless of what he was being paid, he broke his neck & STILL wanted to play for us!
90% of the blokes that ran out for us this year barely broke a sweat, yet still accepted their wages and walked around the field smiling and laughing while shaking hands with the opposition after being flogged on the scoreboard. Yet some of u think Ross was the one robbing us.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
He also tore 2 knee ligaments off the bone.
He got paid what he was worth & did his best for us. His first games beofe the knee reco were superb at the Time & he was looking to be a perfect replacement for Stevo.

sharknows

Bench
There's certainly no question mark about his ticker. He'll give his all for us.....just hope the poor bugger has a bit more luck injury wise this time.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I'm also a bit confused on the cost issue.
Now, if we paid nothing for him, why didn't Souths?
He single handed carrid that team throuigh the middle sections this year & if I remember correctly, played an 80 minute game in the front row?

So if we paid nothing, why didn't Souths?
Or did we pay more than nothing?

As Newman mentioned earlier we have got Ben's services on the cheap, and for match payments. One factor that was mentioned in the media was that either Ben or his partner own a pharmacy in Cronulla, so there appear to be other considerations.

Special K

Coach
I'm also a bit confused on the cost issue.
Now, if we paid nothing for him, why didn't Souths?
He single handed carrid that team throuigh the middle sections this year & if I remember correctly, played an 80 minute game in the front row?

So if we paid nothing, why didn't Souths?
Or did we pay more than nothing?
As a guess Souths

- Back loaded Inglis/upgraded Farrell, McQueen
- His spot was taken by Luke Burgess who looks to be a very decent prospect for his role
- Could not fit his bump up from his bare minimum deal in their new cap

I have no doubt Ross is getting a pay increase from his souths deal but I also think his Souths deal would be worth SFA.

Ross, Gibbs, Fifita and Green as our top 4 props(with guys like Gal/Smith being able to push up) takes us off the bottom of NRL for front rowers imo.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Ross, Gibbs, Fifita and Green as our top 4 props(with guys like Gal/Smith being able to push up) takes us off the bottom of NRL for front rowers imo.

Iam not sold on any of them.
Ross...If he wasnt injured he was suspended. (When he was with us)
Fifita has enormous potential but attitude issues have been mentioned.
Gibbs....Goes missing in attack. And comments when he signed didnt exactly make any friends in the sharks supporter base.
Green...A benchie.

And they are all coming to the Sharks where 70 minutes of football or giving 80% effort is the norm.

Frenzy.

Immortal
None of them do anything for me either on an individual basis but it doesn't piss me off they have been signed.

A lot will hinge on how the 4 of them, if they are to be the first 4 props, perform as a unit. They need to be given simple jobs that they can maintain over a full season.

As a unit they don't look much different to the unit of Norrie, Woolnough, Bromwich and Lowe for example. There's probably only one of them you'd bust a nut over to sign yet as a unit they are extremely effective.

Then again, they have Bellamy. The Sharks have; what's his name again?

carinashark

First Grade
Green was next to useless last week and Ross is in aged care already we just dont need these kind of players. They cost money , cost points, cost credibility. I know newman wants me to shut up about QLD but there are quality young players in that leauge and we just want to sign has=beens.

cb4

First Grade
I rate Ben Ross as the second best external signing we made this year.
His form for Souths was up there with the best in the comp.
Up there, dont manipulate my phrasing.

newman

First Grade
God this is getting boring. He is a capable player who we got cheap, in a position that needed filling. He's not the best prop in the game, nor will he be.

In terms of prop signings in the wake of losing snowden and Douglas, I think we have done reasonably well considering the availability in the market. Nothing to get a horn about, nothing to lose sleep over.

Latest posts