What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benefit of the doubt.

smi962

First Grade
The word "interepretation" was introduced by Bill Harrigan and has blighted the entire Rugby League rule book. Referees no longer make decisions based on fact or right/wrong. It's "interepretations". We've introduced bullshit like "dominant tackle" to the vocabulary. Shephards are now obstructions and we have to get our set squares out to "interpret" angles, whether the ball recipient is on the "outside" of the "blocker".

I could go on and on about how hard they've made this game to adjudicate. The stripping rule is another bug bear. Corey Parker has been offloading adnauseum the last few weeks. Last night the Titans finally made a play to wrap him up. He tries to pop a ball and drops it. Penalty to Broncos. There has to be some emphasis on the man with the ball actually having some responsibility. I wish they would allow players to steal the ball again, especially in this era of hold it for 5 and kick to the corners.

The only good rule change I've seen in the last few years is making the corner post irrelevant when scoring tries which has created a great new era of wingers scoring ridiculous tries.

The problem is we change rules every year. The truly great sports don't need to change rules all the time. Please f**k Billy boy and his shire mate off.

Exactly, Harrigan's interpretation rules makes it far more complicated to video referee a game, as it adds more subjectivity. Obstruction is an example. When there are errors in judgement, we end up with the rubbish calls (although Manly's try with Foran's knock on can''t be blamed on this)