What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

benji not resigned

Mighty Tiger

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
Is it true that Benji is only on $35,000 for 2005, and asked for an upgrade and the Tigers said no??

If so, thats not the sort of thing that will foster loyalty for 2006......

NO!!!!!

Far from it because we offered him the upgrade without him coming to us!

innsaneink

Referee
Mighty Tiger said:
BuffaloRules said:
Is it true that Benji is only on $35,000 for 2005, and asked for an upgrade and the Tigers said no??

If so, thats not the sort of thing that will foster loyalty for 2006......

NO!!!!!

Far from it because we offered him the upgrade without him coming to us!

When did we offer to upgrade?

Are we waiting for thier (benj & mgr) reply now?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
innsaneink said:
When did we offer to upgrade?
Are we waiting for thier (benj & mgr) reply now?

We have made serveral bloody offers to the kid and apperantly to him they arn't what he thinks he is worth!!!

Sure the kid has potential, but given he has played what a little over 12mths of tackle footy and stuffed his shoulder already I think its stupid to pay over $350k a year for him and the Wests Tigers agree!!!

But in saying that they are hopefull of a decision by the end of the year for him to remain at the Wests Tigers until the end of the 2007 season with the chances of upgrades through out the contract

The problem though is the club needs to make sacrifices and well it appears the one they are making is by moving the club to SA for the simple reason being they are garunteed not to make a loss and then of course save at least the amount of money they would need extra to kepp Benji at the club

Tigerpete

Juniors
Agreed MT, Benji's hurt his shoulder twice in one season, has he proven himself yet? To an extent he has but he has a lot of improving yet , teams will pay big money for him though cuz they know what he can do, as much as we dont like it we have to match his market value if we want to hold onto him.

HOT028

Juniors
every player is a risk look at adam ritson (not sure on spelling) he was the next big thing going around in the forwards got paid plenty and ended up having a brain tumor and never playing again, we must decide what is best for the club not for one player

BuffaloRules

Coach
Mighty Tiger said:
[The problem though is the club needs to make sacrifices and well it appears the one they are making is by moving the club to SA for the simple reason being they are garunteed not to make a loss and then of course save at least the amount of money they would need extra to kepp Benji at the club

It seems they will make $500k by playing 5 games at SA. Big deal!!( bear in mind that we played there twice this year anyhow so they make an extra $300k)

I don't buy it that with the crowds they have had this year, they have lost money at Leichhardt and Cambo....

Hasn't their sponsorship increased by around $500 K a year over the next three years?? Surely this money could be put towards retaining Marshall.

They are getting $2.5 Mil from NRL and $750k a year from kit sponsorship.

Problem of $3.25M salary cap solved....

The club should be funding their other expenses from crowds, club grants, corporate box deals and other sponsorships....

Tigerpete

Juniors
Still that doesnt take away from the fact they've supposebly lost money at home games. I think should mention that its more a problem with the night games, due to Light hire and extra security.

However if anyone does know? did the tigers make any money on the game against the eels at LO?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
It seems they will make $500k by playing 5 games at SA. Big deal!!( bear in mind that we played there twice this year anyhow so they make an extra $300k)

How will they I mean break even isn't a $500k profit now is it :lol: :lol:

BuffaloRules said:
I don't buy it that with the crowds they have had this year, they have lost money at Leichhardt and Cambo....

But see both grounds don't have good enough lights which of course we need to pay for and then on top of this we need to pay for the Bloody big screen tv and also pay for better game day facilities for TV coverage - add to this 2 games worth of poor crowds the Storm and Cowboys and well we are just sitting above even but not by much something which if the Wests Tigers are going to plan on spending to the cap that needs to change.

BuffaloRules said:
Hasn't their sponsorship increased by around $500 K a year over the next three years?? Surely this money could be put towards retaining Marshall.

They are getting $2.5 Mil from NRL and $750k a year from kit sponsorship.

Problem of $3.25M salary cap solved....

Yes but also remember this is the 1st year since the JV that we have acctually got the total of $3.25mil sponsorship which needs to go into paying off debts in the past

BuffaloRules said:
The club should be funding their other expenses from crowds, club grants, corporate box deals and other sponsorships....

Crowds once again pay off the debt for the ground on Friday night we just fell short of breaking even - mainly because instead of $14k for lights we needed $40k because it was a channel 9 friday night game something all Wests Tigers fans will be not wanting in years to come so we can play out of our current home grounds!!!

Corporate box deals yeah right nither Leichhardt or Campbeltown really have the facilities to cater for the coporate type to the capacity of any of the other NRL stadiums

Other sponsors well see the major difference between us and clubs like the Roosters/Brisbane/Cowboys/Melbourne etc are the simple fact they have sponsors who have the abillity to make 3rd party arangments which of course are NRL exempt something we don't have the abillity to do at the moment

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Tigerpete said:
Still that doesnt take away from the fact they've supposebly lost money at home games. I think should mention that its more a problem with the night games, due to Light hire and extra security.

However if anyone does know? did the tigers make any money on the game against the eels at LO?

Lights for a non channel 9 game are $14k a game where as for a channel 9 game its $40k

And for the Eels game yes we did make money!!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
So has the cost of lights just all of a sudden become an issue that the managment has just realised as of last weekend??

I haven't heard them whinging about it over the previous 4 and a half years when our crowds were worse than what they have been this year....

If they had any foresight, they could have paid money out of the original $8 mil we got for merging to upgrade the lights permanently......than we wouldn't be hearing about this now....

How much money have they paid to rent the lights over four and a half years??

They would probably be ahead by now....

Mighty Tiger

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
So has the cost of lights just all of a sudden become an issue that the managment has just realised as of last weekend??

I haven't heard them whinging about it over the previous 4 and a half years when our crowds were worse than what they have been this year....

If they had any foresight, they could have paid money out of the original $8 mil we got for merging to upgrade the lights permanently......than we wouldn't be hearing about this now....

How much money have they paid to rent the lights over four and a half years??

They would probably be ahead by now....

Nither have the rest of us!

What should have taken place is when the development of Campbeltown was underway someone should have pointed out the fact that they need lights to play night matches because it is a joke that they didn't think of this as well as a decent scoreboard to be placed at the ground!

I agree that something should have been done from day 1 however I think it was until 2002 when Channel 9 use to pay for all night games lighting and until the new contract contents where released to all NRL clubs it would have been abit to late to worry then - The NRL or Channel 9 should really assist in this department as it is after all channel 9 who requests for the games they want to be played on Free to air over all of broadcasting rights now isn't it!

HOT028

Juniors
but if we dont get chanel 9 games we have less sponsors as there products don't get on free to air tv, the amount of coverage herbal world have had this year on free to air is amazing and hopefully will show future sponsors that we can get on free to air, so i think paying for the lights is a small price to pay to be on the friday night game.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm sure that nine would own the lighting equipment anyway, so it wouldn't be much of an expenditure for them, just set up and take down costs....

Anyway, its just another example of nine screwing over the NRL again....( or should that be the weak NRL letting themselves be srewed..)

Its disappointing though that this issue is just another one where I think our management has been caught out again... they are supposed to think about long term issues and expenditure that will save the club money in the long run.....

They seem to live continuously from hand to mouth.....

Latest posts