What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennet admits his time may be up

Link

His long reign at Brisbane has never been questioned - until now.

Veteran Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett admitted the Broncos may need a "change in coaching direction" after the former ladder leaders were bundled out of the playoff race with a 34-6 loss to Wests Tigers at Aussie Stadium.

It marked the seventh consecutive defeat for the Broncos and their sixth straight finals loss - a run stretching back to 2002.

After holding the Broncos reins since Brisbane's inaugural year of 1988, Bennett admitted a change may be needed for the fallen heavyweights.

Asked about growing criticism that Brisbane may need a "change in coaching style or change in coach", Bennett replied: "Maybe they're right".

"(But) the game is constantly changing ... you think you've got something mastered and something will show you up and you've got to make a change there," he added.

"I think we are at the cutting edge as a club in all facets in what we do. So there will be new things to look to and inject down the track."

Being bundled out by a club-record six tries to one loss to a five-year-old joint venture was a bitter pill to swallow for Bennett considering Brisbane led the competition by six points late in the season, only to fall at the finals hurdle once again.

Not that one of rugby league's greatest minds had drawn a complete blank.

Bennett was already thinking about how he could extend Brisbane's incredible finals run of 14 straight seasons, including five premierships.

"We did a lot of things right this year. We will just have to look again and see what else we may have to do if we have to - we may not have to do too much," he said.

"We had it in our grasp two and a half months ago. To finish here today in the matter that it did, you wouldn't have seen that two months ago.

"We just needed a bit of luck here and there. We are just going through a patch.

"It didn't feel like we lost six (sic) in a row. We were in other situations when we had lost two or three and felt like we would never get out of it."

Bennett said his immediate challenge was finding a way to "pace" his Broncos while juggling the strain of State of Origin duty.

"I think one of the key things has been injuries to our key players," he said.

"Perhaps we play too hard at the beginning of the season. Maybe we know we have to because we know what is ahead of us with Origin time.

"We try to get the points up and work hard to get into a good position - but you just can't do it for 26 weeks.

"It's tough for us because I don't know how we can pace ourselves better."

Asked to sum up the season, Bennett said: "A lot of missed opportunities.

"Today probably summed it up. The season is finished for us, although we did some good things during the year and played some good football today.

"The first half was really good but to be down 10-0 at halftime, while it wasn't indicative of the game that was the situation we were in."

Pistol

Coach
It is a scary proposition for the Broncos. But all they have in terms of a backup coach is Kevin Walters, who imo wouldnt be a good coach for them. I think perhaps Belch or maybe bring back Bellamy. But other than that, Bennett may have to stay on.

Matt23

Staff member
I reckon Kevin Walters might go alright as coach, another contender would be Trever Gillmeister?

Big Pete

Referee
I heard Gillmsiter was linking himself with the Gold Coast team or so he told my dad at some golf tournament.

Also I doubt Bellamy will be back, he moved his family down to Melbourne and is doing a really good job down there.

The only option we have is Walters.

t-ba

Post Whore
"We had it in our grasp two and a half months ago. To finish here today in the matter that it did, you wouldn't have seen that two months ago.

Three Years Benny...Three Years!

Edit: Probably time for a change in direction. The Broncos tactics were effective half a decade ago, and it's clear they have to adapt. Bennett would make an excellent full time Kangaroos coach and international ambassador for RL.

Kid

Juniors
An overated coach who has ALWAYS worked with the best players. Time for a change, which i personally believe will do them the world of good. Would do Wayne good aswell to take on a no win type situation to show us how good he really is. Super coach? No, just a good coach with a fantastic roster over the years.

Balmain Bug

Juniors
A heap iof coaches will be throwing their hats in. It will be the most contested spot in coaching history if benny does step down.

Chris Anderson will be one and Craig Bellamy another.

Very interesting times ahead.

Pistol

Coach
Chris Anderson??????????????????????????

After that massacre he did with Crounulla, I wouldnt have him within cooee of getting a paper with the broncos coaching position in it

Ghoulies

Bench
Balmain Bug said:
A heap iof coaches will be throwing their hats in. It will be the most contested spot in coaching history if benny does step down.
I'd hope so, but would any of the available coaches be an improvement?

We have....

Chris Anderson: I don't think Andos "winning culture" is what we need for the long-term.

Daniel Anderson: As far as I know he's in the middle of a long term contract with St Helens.

Phil Gould: Suprisingly his name has been thrown around a fair bit at nospam37 as a candidate for the job, but you have to wonder if Gus would be interested in taking over the reigns at a 100% News Ltd. owned club.

Craig Bellamy: Probably the most obvious candidate considering his history at the club, but he has another 2 years left on his contract and apparently recently moved his family down to Melbourne.

Kevin Walters: Those who saw his work at the Clydesdales won't be too keen on the idea of Kevvie in the hot seat.

Which leaves us with squat. :(

Kid

Juniors
Ghoulies said:
I'd hope so, but would any of the available coaches be an improvement?

We have....

Chris Anderson: I don't think Andos "winning culture" is what we need for the long-term.

Daniel Anderson: As far as I know he's in the middle of a long term contract with St Helens.

Phil Gould: Suprisingly his name has been thrown around a fair bit at nospam37 as a candidate for the job, but you have to wonder if Gus would be interested in taking over the reigns at a 100% News Ltd. owned club.

Craig Bellamy: Probably the most obvious candidate considering his history at the club, but he has another 2 years left on his contract and apparently recently moved his family down to Melbourne.

Kevin Walters: Those who saw his work at the Clydesdales won't be too keen on the idea of Kevvie in the hot seat.

Which leaves us with squat. :(
I think it's more about change than anything else. Its always been a great football team, and always will be, but it needs a new cammander. New ideas = new results.

Knightmare

Coach
Maybe a QRL coach? Surely there'd have to be at least one who could manage taking over the stable at Red Hill?

Big Pete

Referee
Nar we'd rather a coach who always gets us into the finals every year. :p

All Bennent needs to do is come up with more attacking plays and make some really rash decisions in the line up like he used to.

Hurriflatch

Referee
seriously, the gameplan Bennett came up with today would've worked if the idiot players backed up when a linebreak was made

Bennett can't be blamed when the stupidity of his players ruin the gameplan.