What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett knocks back Snowden at the Knights

Minh

First Grade
I read in the 'cough' Telegraph that Wayne Bennett has put a stop to the impending signing of boom prop Kade Snowden for next season. In a clear sign as to "who is wearing the pants" at Newcastle next year, I fear that this may be a sign that they are saving it for a player like Darius Boyd to join them?

YEHHHBOYYYD

Juniors
I read in the 'cough' Telegraph that Wayne Bennett has put a stop to the impending signing of boom prop Kade Snowden for next season. In a clear sign as to "who is wearing the pants" at Newcastle next year, I fear that this may be a sign that they are saving it for a player like Darius Boyd to join them?

Lets hope not :(

Although a possiblilty - I wouldn't think Bennett's motivation is purely about saving that sort of money for Boyd. Throughout his career (and there are many many examples of it), Bennett never pays more than ~$300k for a prop. Snowden was offered much more by Tinkler and Bennett had to step in and say that it woulda been $300k max. The Sharks will now offer him more than that (with Douglas leaving), so Snowden will stay there..

Nice conspiracy theory though! :)

Minh

First Grade
Although a possiblilty - I wouldn't think Bennett's motivation is purely about saving that sort of money for Boyd. Throughout his career (and there are many many examples of it), Bennett never pays more than ~$300k for a prop. Snowden was offered much more by Tinkler and Bennett had to step in and say that it woulda been $300k max. The Sharks will now offer him more than that (with Douglas leaving), so Snowden will stay there..

Nice conspiracy theory though! :)

Good observation, so we may still be in the picture, would really love to see Pricey get a fair crack at it with our champion team.

possm

Coach
Price is not worried about the playing strength. Apart from Boyd all of our important players are locked in for next year. We may lose some NSW cup players like Goodwin, Bosden, etc. Hope they keep Goodwin and Bosden.

The Dragons main problem will be losing the support staff. Bennett brought them with him to the Dragons and will take them with him to Newcastle. This support team has played a major role in preparing and supporting our players. They are very professional and very hard to replace.

Remember what it was like before Bennett came to the club? Unfit injury prone players and forwards with a soft under-belly.

I hope Graig Young is going to be Price's assistant coach, he has also been involved under Wayne and will provide good support in the effort to try and continue the Bennett formula.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Bennett is wise not to pay 300K for a prop. You don't need superstars up the guts, just need tradesman-like props.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Look they are going to offer Boyd more than us. I hope he stays but with all the re-signings we are doing I can't see how we fit him in the cap at 350-400k.

Father Ted

First Grade

I think Boyd will go and for the following reasons 1 To be with the only father figure he knows Bennett. 2 The same private jet that flies Bennett to Brisbane will fly Darius 3 And that means he will see his beloved Nan.

Last edited:

SilentAssassin

Juniors
I thought it was common knowledge that Boyd is gone after 2011? Seems like people are surprised. :?

Even if he didn't sign with Newcastle. He'd sign with Brisbane before the Dragons imo. Could be wrong but I'm 99.99% sure hes gone at seasons end.

TheRev

First Grade
I had really hoped that having Bennett would have helped us attract more quality players for cheap.. but he was only here for 3 years.. we won the GF in the 2nd year, and now its all too late.. but Newcastle will reap the rewards, plenty of players should be keen to jump aboard the Newcastle train, now that the experiment at the Dragons was a raging success... grrrr.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Maybe their not saving the money for Boyd....maybe the money went towards Gidleys re signing for another 4 years.:crazy:

cleary89

Coach
I thought it was common knowledge that Boyd is gone after 2011? Seems like people are surprised. :?

Even if he didn't sign with Newcastle. He'd sign with Brisbane before the Dragons imo. Could be wrong but I'm 99.99% sure hes gone at seasons end.

You his manager?

Unless Bris sign Boyd as their marquee & 5/8th, i don't think he'll go back there without Bennett. Plus, Bris have a young kid who is earmarked to play in the 6 anyways.

I think the Titans won't go for him now that they've signed Idris and Douglas; however there are rumours that they may let Laffranchi go, so that'll free up some $ for them to maybe make a good play at him.

I think he'll either be at Newcastle, or maybe one more year with us then he'll sign with the new Bris team for 2013..