What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett Names 21 Man for Trial

dragon-83

Juniors
Dragons Coach Wayne Bennett has today named 21 players for the first game of 2009 against the Roosters at Members Equity Stadium this weekend in Perth.

Bennett intends to play all 21 players throughout the match, meaning Michael Weyman, Jeremy Smith, Luke Priddis and Darius Boyd will all make their debut for the Dragons in this match.

Ben Hornby (shoulder) and Neville Costigan (suspended) are the only two travelling squad members who will miss the game.

Hooker Dean Young will Captain the team on Saturday night, but a final decision is yet to be made on who will be the Club Captain in 2009.

“The players’ are certainly keen to get out there and play and everyone will be getting an opportunity,” said Bennett. “I won’t be looking for anything in particular out of the game, it is really about the players’ getting some match fitness and working on timing and cohesion.

One player particularly excited about Saturday’s game is local junior and returning Dragon Mathew Head who will start the game at halfback.

“It has been a long pre-season so everyone is just itching to get out there and play,” said Head. “I’m really excited to start the season with the number seven on my back and I am looking forward to playing again with the Dragons and with this squad of great players that we have.

“We have had a good few days training here in Perth and have enjoyed the different environment. Working with local juniors and school children here in Western Australia has been enjoyable,” added Head. “Hopefully they will come out and cheer us on because it should be a great game on Saturday night”.

The Dragons arrived in Perth of Monday and have been training, conducting coaching clinics and visiting schools assisting the Western Australian Rugby League in promoting the sport and game.

St George Illawarra Dragons Team v Sydney Roosters
Saturday, February 14
Members Equity Stadium, Perth

1. Brett Morris
2. Michael Lett
3. Chase Stanley
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Mathew Head
8. Justin Poore
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weymanquad
11. Beau Scott
12. Jarrod Saffy
13. Matt Prior

14. Jon Green
15. Dan Hunt
16. Luke Priddis
17 Ricky Thorby
18. Ben Creagh
19. Jason Nightingale
20. Darius Boyd
22. Jeremy Smith

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17428

Last edited by a moderator:

dubopov

Coach
My team theory ..

* The bottom four reserves are certain starters in Game One of the season - Bennett has seen enough of them
* Three of the four reserves are certain starters for Shellharbour UNLESS they really fire in the three trials .. Priddis will be in the 17

* The starting 13 are vieing for positions in the team OR in a particular position.

SuperSoward

Juniors
Dragons Coach Wayne Bennett has today named 21 players for the first game of 2009 against the Roosters at Members Equity Stadium this weekend in Perth.

Bennett intends to play all 21 players throughout the match, meaning Michael Weyman, Jeremy Smith, Luke Priddis and Darius Boyd will all make their debut for the Dragons in this match.

Ben Hornby (shoulder) and Neville Costigan (suspended) are the only two travelling squad members who will miss the game.

Hooker Dean Young will Captain the team on Saturday night, but a final decision is yet to be made on who will be the Club Captain in 2009.

“The players’ are certainly keen to get out there and play and everyone will be getting an opportunity,” said Bennett. “I won’t be looking for anything in particular out of the game, it is really about the players’ getting some match fitness and working on timing and cohesion.

One player particularly excited about Saturday’s game is local junior and returning Dragon Mathew Head who will start the game at halfback.

“It has been a long pre-season so everyone is just itching to get out there and play,” said Head. “I’m really excited to start the season with the number seven on my back and I am looking forward to playing again with the Dragons and with this squad of great players that we have.

“We have had a good few days training here in Perth and have enjoyed the different environment. Working with local juniors and school children here in Western Australia has been enjoyable,” added Head. “Hopefully they will come out and cheer us on because it should be a great game on Saturday night”.

The Dragons arrived in Perth of Monday and have been training, conducting coaching clinics and visiting schools assisting the Western Australian Rugby League in promoting the sport and game.

St George Illawarra Dragons Team v Sydney Roosters
Saturday, February 14
Members Equity Stadium, Perth

1. Brett Morris
2. Michael Lett
3. Chase Stanley
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Mathew Head
8. Justin Poore
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weymanquad
11. Beau Scott
12. Jarrod Saffy
13. Matt Prior

14. Jon Green
15. Dan Hunt
16. Luke Priddis
17 Ricky Thorby
18. Ben Creagh
19. Jason Nightingale
20. Darius Boyd
22. Jeremy Smith

Source?

boxa777

Coach
My team theory ..

* The bottom four reserves are certain starters in Game One of the season - Bennett has seen enough of them
* Three of the four reserves are certain starters for Shellharbour UNLESS they really fire in the three trials .. Priddis will be in the 17

* The starting 13 are vieing for positions in the team OR in a particular position.

I agree with pretty much all of that except the bit about 3 of the 4 reserves playing for Shellharbour. I think Dan Hunt is definitely worthy of a place in the 17..

Godz Illa

Coach
Not a bad theory dubo, although if point 1 is correct you'd have to wonder why Cooper and Poore are starting... Ahhhh it's so nice to be speculating on actual team lists again instead of pretend ones. We're almost there!

redVpride

Juniors
i dont think the storm will wanna upset this bunch of forwards not many will take a backward step good lookin squad to warm up for the year ahead will be at the gong next week for sure. does anyone know when big nev is back from suspension?

Slackboy72

Coach
I don't think it matters who plays. Benny will have whoever runs out there giving 100% for 80 minutes.

Latest posts