What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett stopped Cooper from leaving

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...nett-stopped-cooper-from-leaving/1960325.aspx

Coach Bennett stopped Cooper from leaving

BY BRAD FORREST
06 Oct, 2010 04:00 AM
FORMER international Matt Cooper revealed his best decision in life was to listen to Wayne Bennett — and not to quit the Dragons.Cooper is one of five survivors, along with Mark Gasnier, captain Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh and Brett Morris (2006), who suffered the heartbreak of consecutive finals defeats in 2005 and 2006, when Dragons sides were choc-full of some of the game's best NRL players.
After the Dragons bombed out again in the 2008 qualifying final, Cooper had had enough, considering playing in England.
His centre partner Mark Gasnier had already left to play rugby union in France.
"Then I got a call from Wayne," said Cooper after Sunday's premiership victory.
"He told me he needed me; that things would get better if I stayed.
"It was the best decision I ever made; if it wasn't for Wayne I would probably be overseas now and not celebrating."
Cooper, a father and, at 31, one of the senior Dragons players, admitted it had been a "tough road for us five".
"There has been so much expected of our teams, especially since the joint venture," said the ex-Illawarra junior.
"We had to win to get the monkey off our backs, you know that chocking tag and all.
"We knew all year that if we played our game, we could win.
"Even a half-time when we were down we knew we could turn things around.
"I probably will have a cry later, when it sinks in that we've finally won it.
"This is as much a win for the [Illawarra] Steelers as it is for St George, because the old Steelers have supported the Dragons so much."
Cooper, who won back an Origin spot this year, said he still had "a few good years" left. "I've got a new lease of life."

There's too much love around the joint lately.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
this is why we need bennett to stay..

anyone seen the movie wedlock? i think dousty needs to get one of those neck thingies and attach it to bennett in his sleep..

designed to go off if he travels any further north than newcastle...

can't trust sending him to queensland for any games...

7_midi.jpg

SEAT 1A

Bench
Very wise man that Coop's. It would have been an easy way out and leave after the disappointing results over the years.

However, he backed his ability and that he could still add something to the team and listened to the best coach in the business, it all worked out and it's happy days as he won the big one.

In my view, being able to work with Wayne who is the best is no brainer. I have no idea why players would decide to leave when they could become better players and have a chance of winning the grand final as from a player perspective is what you play the game for.

Also, nice to see he gave the Ilawarra side of the merger a rap.

RednWhite

Bench
Coops has past his best and is making some fundamental mistakes in defence. His form in Origin was very poor. Maybe one more year for him at the top level.

YEHHHBOYYYD

Juniors
Coops has past his best and is making some fundamental mistakes in defence. His form in Origin was very poor. Maybe one more year for him at the top level.

I disagree.
I still think his defence is great. He may have had a shocker in origin but that doesn't change my thoughts of him.

The only thing he's lost is his speed.

Hes fit, strong and looks great. 3 more years easily :)

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Spare a thought for Baz...

:lol::lol::lol:

BARRET at the end of 2008....I want to join a team that can win the Premiership

2009.....The Sharks 2nd last on the NRL points table.....Dragons minor premiers

2010.....The Sharks 3rd last on the NRL points table.....Dragons minor premiers / premiers

Yep i just spared a fart for him....Farkin stunk too:lol:

GO u DRAGONS

Juniors
Wouldn't it be nice to see Cooper wear another premiership ring in 2011 and then retire graciously to make way for a homesick SAINT by the name of

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

JOSH MORRIS !!!!!!

whered u here this?

They interviewed him on the Thursday night Footy Show the week that he signed with the sharks and it was also in the papers. I remember them saying 'the obvious question everyone is going to ask is Saint George??? ever a thought? to which he replied along lines of 'Wayne did approach me, it did cross my mind but you can't go back you have to move forward and there is alot of pressure on that club etc'. and then went onto say 'the only thing i havent done in rugby league is win a premiership and i want to go to a club that has a good chance of winning one etc. HAHAHA
I do like Barrett though. He was always very nice to the supporters and i think those losses in 05 and 06 really hurt him. He tried his f**king arse off every week for the Dragons. I think with a good coach like Bennett he would have been an even better player. I was gutted when he chose to sign with the Sharks but thats life. Who cared we are premiers!!!! GO DRAGONS!!!!! No sympathy for Ryles but. He would have to be one of the dumbest blokes to strap on a boot. I remember he played the ball backwards opposite his own line once against the roosters at the SFS.

Mr Red

First Grade
if Barrett did come back to the dragons then we would not have any cash for gasnier... and i definitely know who i would rather have.... good riddance to Barrett - the bringer of so many brain explosions, heartaches and poor leadership on the field...

Cooper just needs to ensure he doesnt over stay his welcome... he has 1 more good season left in first grade, but with his constant hamstring injuries his pace is gone.... and he must step aside in order for us to keep our young stars like stanley.... if he stays any longer then one season we risk losing stanley... or risk not being able to resign morris..

if Barrett did come back to the dragons then we would not have any cash for gasnier...
A point i raised earlier in the thread

Cooper just needs to ensure he doesnt over stay his welcome... he has 1 more good season left in first grade, but with his constant hamstring injuries his pace is gone.... and he must step aside in order for us to keep our young stars like stanley.... if he stays any longer then one season we risk losing stanley... or risk not being able to resign morris..

Totally agree with the above statement. He has definitely lost a great deal of his pace. Stanley is definitely not the kind of player you want to see squeezed out.

blacklock

Juniors
if Barrett did come back to the dragons then we would not have any cash for gasnier... and i definitely know who i would rather have.... good riddance to Barrett - the bringer of so many brain explosions, heartaches and poor leadership on the field...

id shudder to see barrett return. zero creativity. crap kicking game (kicks dead in goal) dropped the ball over the line, hard passes to forwards charging into traffic, getting into fights while ball is still in play allowing the opposition to score. (to name a few things)

I always thought he was overrated. Had it not been for injuries, matty head would have been a big name player.

The main question i ask myself when anyone discusses his return....would he have kicked that field goal against the tigers. Would he have been able to perfectly place a chip for gasnier in the grand final. I dont see him doing either. Soward did it and without all the accolades that Barrett received.

big_steve

Juniors
Wouldn't it be nice to see Cooper wear another premiership ring in 2011 and then retire graciously to make way for a homesick SAINT by the name of

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

JOSH MORRIS !!!!!!
i would love to see him come back but he needs to stay injury free he has been nothing but injured at the dogs