What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett tells new recruit to tackle weighty problem

RedVDave

First Grade
Bennett tells new recruit to tackle weighty problem

PREMIERSHIP winning mentor Wayne Bennett has thrown down the challenge to new recruit Daniel Penese and so far the former Panther has responded.
When Penese came to St George Illawarra in November, Bennett noticed that his new charger was carrying a bit of extra weight.
‘‘The first thing that he said to me is that I need to shed some kilos and put on some good weight,’’ Penese said.
‘‘He said if I come back from the holidays like a fat dude he is not going to have a bar of me.’’
And Penese has worked hard in his short time in the red and white.
Having come to the club at 104 kilograms he now tips the scales at 98 kilograms — almost where he wants to be.
‘‘I need to move away from McDonald’s, KFC and some of the Islander food,’’ Penese said.
‘‘When I made my debut I was 97 (kilograms) and that’s the weight I’ve got to get down to.’’
Penese progressed from the junior ranks at Penrith to make his NRL debut in 2008.
His time in the top grade was short lived with the backrower failing to add to his two appearances at the end of 2008.
Penese, 21, will push for a spot in the Dragons backrow following the departures of Jeremy Smith and Neville Costigan.
‘‘There is good discipline here and it’s a little bit tougher than at Penrith,’’ said Penese who travels to training from his Glendenning home.
‘‘There is a good professionalism on and off the field.’’
The Dragons beat neighbours Cronulla to secure the St Marys junior signature.
‘‘Once I heard the offer from Wayne I had to come,’’ Penese said.
‘‘I want to try and push through to first grade and play 10-plus games.
‘‘My strengths are my talk and hopefully I bring good spirit to the boys.’’
After signing for the Dragons in August, Penese closely followed his new teams fortunes.
‘‘I was a bit nervous and Wayne was straight to the point,’’ Penese said of his first meeting with Bennett.
‘‘I just believed every word he said.
‘‘When they won the grand final I was over the moon for the boys even though I hadn’t met them.
‘‘Now I’m at a championship club.’’ The Dragons resumed pre-season yesterday.

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...ecruit-to-tackle-weighty-problem/2038373.aspx

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
‘‘There is good discipline here and it’s a little bit tougher than at Penrith,’’

This is the part that I liked the most from this article

Tanner Ave

Juniors
Good article.

However does this raise and eye brow for anyone else.

‘‘My strengths are my talk"

- Lets hope you find some more champ, before the season starts!

Con the Dragons. How good has this off season been?

Latest posts