What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett to be axed.

possm

Coach
Mate, Mary is about to win a comp.
He could have learnt plenty from Mary!

OK, maybe I'm getting carried away....
Since the Dragon's 11 premierships in a row, all clubs have the cycle of successful season and low seasons and only some rise to win the GF. In 2009 we were at one of our high points and so had a chance to rise. Unfortunately we needed a few tough mongrels and a season to work together before this was actually realised. Bennett was able to identify what was needed to make the Dragons a contender for the premiership.

Because we won the GF in 2010 some key members of our squad were worth more and after Bennett left, our management could not or would not match offers from other clubs. Moreover, Doust appointed Price as coach and Craig Young as recruitment officer and so the decline began with a poor coach and a weaker roster.

We have a good roster now and would be even better with a few changes. We are at the top of our cycle again so it would be just the right time to bring a top coach in to keep us on top.

If the unlikely thing happened and Bennett was shown the door at the end of this season, no matter what the result, I would hope the Dragons snap Bennett up quick smart. I'm sure he and his new wife would love moving away from the finger pointing in Brisbane to a part of the world that Bennett also has fond memories of.

possm

Coach
I understand that but the question is why did he move on after only 1 year of a 2 year contract especially after he said he was originally coming to Sydney to stay and citing family reasons as part of it.
Something fishy had to have happened and I agree you don't have to like everyone you work with but I am sure those he did work with had very different plans for JD and being head coach regardless of how he played his cards was never going to be part of their thinking.
Get rid of JD so no visible threats from within and Mc Fookknuckle gets an extension all pretty cosy by my reckoning.
Simply, he wasn't wanted at the Dragons and was welcomed by the Broncos.

Crush

Coach
I understand that but the question is why did he move on after only 1 year of a 2 year contract especially after he said he was originally coming to Sydney to stay and citing family reasons as part of it.
Something fishy had to have happened and I agree you don't have to like everyone you work with but I am sure those he did work with had very different plans for JD and being head coach regardless of how he played his cards was never going to be part of their thinking.
Get rid of JD so no visible threats from within and Mc Fookknuckle gets an extension all pretty cosy by my reckoning.
Presumptuous

The calm one

Juniors
That's the difference between Brisbane and St George...Brisbane demands success, whilst we're happy to be mediocre.

Brisbane is looking to fire one of, if not the greatest coach of all time after one average season.

And we persist with knuckleheads like Nathan Brown, Steve Price, and Mary McGregor.
We don’t persist with anyone. When your in debt to the NRL and they are controlling your purse strings, you really can’t demand the best

giboz71

First Grade
Funny how the world turns. Usually it’s Bennett pulling all the strings.

Was about to sign with the Roosters in 2009 and ended up with us. Then he was going to sign with us a second time in 2015 and ends up back at the Broncos.

Each occasion he led a club on before signing elsewhere. You can do that when you’re the greatest coach in history.

Now he’s the one being pushed out it seems.

Karma perhaps?

ouryears

Bench
Bennet sure can coach. I'll tell you that for nothing. But he rarely leaves a club better off than he found it.

Dragons fans remember 2010, but I also remember the mess he left behind (a mess that others had to clean up). And Knights supporters don't even have a decent season under uncle Wayne to hang their hats on.

Personally, I hope he coaches the Roosters next year (because I hate their guts).

For real?

He took the knights to the preliminary final...one game from the GF....A miracle coaching feat.

And he won us a premiership.

Tinkler screwed the knights, not Bennett.

So from the two clubs he coached... he got one to the preliminary final and won the big one at the the other, yes, with us!!

While Bellamy just stayed in Melbourne with his mates Slater Smith and co.

Bennett is king, not Bellamy.

Last edited:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It's not as crazy as it sounds. Bennett has had coaching relationships with Widdop and Graham for England and brought great form out of them both. And also Hunt of course, although I actually believe Mary has been better coaching Hunt than Bennett ever was.

Either way, I see retirement or GM of footy role as far more likely for old Wayno
It would be a brave man to take the coaching position under Bennett as GM

Bench
Bellamy is starting to realise that without Cronk Smith and Slater there is not much else to dominate.
Bellamy is smart enough to realise Storm will not have the players to challenge other teams as they have done.
Would he go to the Broncos. Doubt it.
I think with our roster we promise more success then the Broncos and Storm.

nontime111

Juniors
what are the realistic chances of Bellamy coming here? anyone know or heard anything of merit? At the moment Bellyache is literally the ONLY coach I would take over Mary

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Bellamy is starting to realise that without Cronk Smith and Slater there is not much else to dominate.
Bellamy is smart enough to realise Storm will not have the players to challenge other teams as they have done.
Would he go to the Broncos. Doubt it.
I think with our roster we promise more success then the Broncos and Storm.

Dufty, Hunt, Widdop, McInnes :)

Personally I don’t want Bennett or Bellamy.

My best case would be for Mary to win the comp this year, then at the press conference Doust to sack him on the spot.
It would be very karmic for him to be sacked for extreme success after years of being resigned for mediocre performance.

Then appoint Dean Young and get back to sucking.