What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny buying Wests Tigers??

Perth Tiger

Bench
If Benny got his hands on the joint I feel like we would end up with some short term success, maybe a premiership or two but then it would come crashing down in some monster combination of Melbourne salary cap rorting and Cronulla peptide scandal that would see us kicked out of the comp.

But at this stage I would probably take that rather than perpetual shitness we currently have

Desperate times call for.......

nah.

All these privatisation parasites they spin and lie.

If he wanted to help the club he could hand over cash now.

Instead of selling our grandmothers to Elias-
we probably need to poach a successful clubs ceo to start with. Replace officials etc.
Regrettably sack the coach ( or find another role for him) phase out the lazy players and go from there.

Actually I was thinking Madge could be a bloody good ceo.

stryker

First Grade
Private ownership negates board allegiances to ventures outside of the football operations.
Who are Benny’s partners?
Our problems start with the administration.

WA Tiger

Bench
Having everyone accountable would be novel..Key players in the new outfit wouldn’t have a lifetime contract because they have had dinner at the Pascoes and our now considered friends ...
Especially the coach

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
The more I see this world go to shit, the more I wish some benevolent dictator came in and fixed the problems without having to do netflix documentaries and wasting time getting people on board. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but at least we would have a poster boy to blame all our problems on if it failed.

I'm so far past the point of caring that I actually want to see Benny take over. Either he is our saviour and we aren't a basket case, or he fails and its hilarious.

Whatever

stryker

First Grade
The more I see this world go to shit, the more I wish some benevolent dictator came in and fixed the problems without having to do netflix documentaries and wasting time getting people on board. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but at least we would have a poster boy to blame all our problems on if it failed.

I'm so far past the point of caring that I actually want to see Benny take over. Either he is our saviour and we aren't a basket case, or he fails and its hilarious.

Whatever
Yeah I agree.
He can’t be worse for the club than the current board is and if he is, that will be entertaining.

Benny ...he virtually f##ked the Balmain side of the JV single handedly, now the WT club is getting its act together off field financially this modern day Judas has turned up to try and line his own pockets again, the sooner they show him the back door on his way out the better.

Tigerm

First Grade
Wests Tigers Chairman plays down Benny Elias' chances of takeover bid (sen.com.au)

Wests Tigers Chairman Lee Hagipantelis has downplayed the chances of club great Benny Elias buying a majority stake in the joint venture club.

Reports last week emerged that Elias and a financially backed consortium were plotting to purchase a 50.5% share in the Wests Tigers for somewhere between 8 to 10 million dollars.

Currently, the Wests Tigers are owned by the Wests Magpies and the Balmain Tigers to the extent of 90% and 10% respectively. With Elias a club great of Balmain, it is believed he is aiming for his former club to have an equal say in operations.

Hagipantelis joined SEN 1170 Breakfast where he labelled the prospects of a takeover as "very slim" and stated that he was aware of the ‘secret’ meetings held between Elias and club powerbrokers.

“Well it’s interesting, because even as the Chair of the Wests Tigers, it's not a matter that strictly speaking concerns the Wests Tigers,” he said.

“The Wests Tigers, as is publicly known, is owned by shareholders.

“The shareholders being the Wests Magpies and the Balmain Tigers to the extent of 90% and 10% respectively.

“So if someone was interested in purchasing the club, they would have to speak to the shareholders because they would be buying the shares of the shareholders that were held as ownership of the club."

The chairman admitted he had been informed about the meetings as a matter of professional courtesy by the Wests Magpies through West Ashfield League club CEO Simon Cook and Ben Elias.

“The discussions have been taking place as it’s been widely reported,” he said.

“I have been informed as a matter of professional courtesy by both the Wests Magpies through the CEO of West Ashfield, Simon Cook and by Benny.

“I’m very grateful for that courtesy.

“But so far as the Wests Tigers is concerned, it’s a matter that concerns shareholders only.

“However having said that, I take on board the public comments of Mr Cook that Wests Magpies are flattered at the interest but the Wests Tigers are not for sale.

“So I would think that the prospects of the Wests Tigers being sold are very, very slim indeed.”

The Tigers snapped a four-game losing streak against the Dragons in Round 8 and will look to build on that momentum when they host the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday.

Shredder

Juniors
Its all very interesting.

Companies are generally valued on price / earnings. So to buy a business, you generally pay a multiple over earnings. The current P/E ratio of the ASX is 22.7 times and its historically high.

Generally for unlisted companies its about half of that as their is no secondary market. So call it 12 times to be friendly.

I think from memory the club made like $300k in profit after costs last year.

People say that sports teams are different as their is significant good will in their trademarks and logos. I would argue that this is already priced into merchandising, which is in the revenue numbers.

On these numbers, the club is worth in total less than $3.5mln.

Given we are one of only a few clubs that even generate a small profit, this is an embarrassment for the game. The entire game of NRL is probably worth less than $15mln.

Latest posts