What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benny Creagh

If you'd told me at that first game when he played on the wing and was absolutely hopeless that this guy would play 270 games, play origin, win a premiership and captain the club - I wouldve taken you straight to a psychiatrist!

Great bloke, extremely good player and congratulations on a great career.

That Anzac day try probably my favourite moment..

monsterkev

Juniors
Don't think they needed to. More like his injury is worse than first thought so he realised its time to go as his body simply isn't up to another season...
it was only a few weeks ago that he said his knee was better than he thought it would be and was looking forward to playing

Mr Red

First Grade
it was only a few weeks ago that he said his knee was better than he thought it would be and was looking forward to playing

Yep.
Standard response from anyone who is still unsure about their playing future, but doesn't want the media to leak anything until they are 100% certain.
A bit like the board saying the coach has their full support a week before they axe them..

since77

Juniors
*deleted post*

No, this is his legacy. Below that picture is the last thing Justin Hodges ever did on a football field. It involves tears. Deal with it.

NRL+Grand+Final+Dragons+v+Roosters+o3DQJHcIMOLl.jpg

491250038-johnathan-thurston-of-the-cowboys-consoles-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you put up a gif of Hodges belting an injured Morris when he's in pain lying on the ground. That's what real men do, right?

This SOO scene actually is a "one off".
It's the only time in history that Hodges is actually facing someone rather than running in and hitting them from behind.
Him and Thaiday have been doing that sh!t for years.
Maybe they were bulldog supporters growing up.

getsmarty

Immortal
Body tells Creagh it's time

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

18 Aug 2016, 1:46 p.m.

DRAGONS veteran Ben Creagh knew that the day would come, but it didn’t make calling time on his NRL career after 270 games with the one club any easier on Thursday.

r0_250_4896_3024_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RED V DEVOTEE: St George Illawarra club-captain Ben Creagh says retiring a one-club player is his greatest source of pride. Picture: Chris Chan

It was far from a fitting end for the 31-year-old, who was forced into early retirement by a chronic knee injury. If anyone deserved a proper send-off on the playing paddock it was Creagh but rarely in rugby league do players get to write their own scripts.

Instead his goodbye came in a cramped dressing shed in the bowels of WIN Stadium but it says plenty about Creagh that he walked away feeling grateful rather than bitter. At the very least someone else might finally get a crack at the ‘nicest man in league’ title.

“I feel as though I’ve been really lucky to play that many games before this happened so I’m not too sad or disappointed,” Creagh said.

“If I look back 13 years ago when I made my debut, people who saw that game or watched me play my first five games...I’d have been a thousand to one to play this many games for the club.

“I was pretty positive after the surgery earlier in the season but the longer the season’s gone on, with all the running and the rehab that I’ve done, my knee’s not getting better. The infection was a bit of a shock, having to go back in and get it cleaned out.

“I didn’t expect that at all but I think my knee was telling me something with all that going on and it’s said it’s time now. It’s a shame I couldn’t get a few more games but that’s footy.”

While his body was telling him in no uncertain terms that it was time, arriving at the decision in his own mind was still a tough process.

“It has been creeping up the longer the season has gone on,” Creagh said.

“Mary and the coaching staff have been really good to me this year. No one’s forced my hand, they said to me right from the start ‘take as much time as you want and when you make a decision we’ll back you’.

“Still, to come to that decision isn’t an easy one. I’ve had lot of conversations with my family and they just want me to do what’s best for my health and right now this is the best decision I could make.”

If fairy tale finishes are rare, it’s a sad fact of modern rugby league that one-club players like Creagh are becoming even rarer. Among all the accolades he’ll take with him as he goes, that fact remains the greatest source of pride for the Wollongong University junior.

“Earlier in my career I didn’t really know the significance of playing for one club but as my career went on I really wanted to make sure I stayed here as long as I could,” Creagh said.

“Once early on in my career after the 2005 Kangaroo Tour I got an offer from another club after and I knocked it back and the rest of the time after that I told my manager ‘from now on just negotiate with the Dragons, I want to stay here’.

“I’m very proud that I did stay at the club. It’s a great club with a wonderful culture and wonderful people in it. I can reminisce a bit now and look back on a few things and it’s a pretty special achievement.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4105553/retiring-creagh-proud-to-stay-one-club-man/?cs=2382

Sigurd

Juniors
*deleted post*

No, it's not. It was just a brain-snap in the heat of battle. I would back Creagh to smash Hodges in the ring. He is bigger, stronger and was fitter (playing for 80min in the forwards). Just a brain-snap I bet he wishes he could take back like we all have in life. I think it stems from being a good guy, too fair and decent and was stunned to see a grub like Hodges come at him.

Old Timer

Coach
*deleted post*
Joe Bjelke Petersen,Pauline Hanson, Clive Palmer are your legacies deal with that you Qld tosser.
Just because Creagh doesn't want to get in involved with on-field stupidity is hardly a reason for you to say that is his career.
So here's a free tip why don't you f**k off back over the border where the rest of your big city with just 1 team pud pullers live.

Zucchini

Juniors
If you'd told me at that first game when he played on the wing and was absolutely hopeless that this guy would play 270 games, play origin, win a premiership and captain the club - I wouldve taken you straight to a psychiatrist!

Great bloke, extremely good player and congratulations on a great career.

That Anzac day try probably my favourite moment..

That day was the second year in what has now become an annual event with my then seven year old nephew. What a win! He went back to school and was asked to write an acrostic poem about Anzac Day. It ended with "Y is for yay, yay for Benny Creagh who scores a try and saves the day". Indeed he did.

saints4me

Juniors
You're a long time retired compared to your playing career. To go out a Dragons legend as Ben Creagh will do is testament to his ability and loyalty. Two credentials I admire. Well done champ. Thank you for your service to the jersey I too love!

goggles

Juniors
A heart the size of Phar Lap and an absolute bloody legend. All the best in the next chapter of your life cap'n...

What a man
What a man
What a mighty good man

And a damn fine player as well

You epitomise loyalty, fairness and giving your all

You wore the (so called) blood and bandages jumper with pride
And showed your courage by often wearing (the real) blood and bandages on your head
What a sight

Whenever I now reach for a biscuit or lolly from my "Ben Creagh biscuit tin" I'll say:
Thanks for the memories mate!!
Enjoy your new life.

hod

Sheridan Stand

Juniors

Ben Creagh was the Norm Provan of the modern era.

I do not say that comment lightly. Not lightly at all as Norm sticks Provan was a stand up guy and a real Saints club man through and through.

Under a better regime (like Frank Facer had in place) Ben would have played all his guts and soul to win us more premierships.

Ben Benny Creagh we all thank you, we will miss you and please stay involved in our great club in what capacity you see fit.

God knows this club needs people like you.

emu62

Juniors
No, it's not. It was just a brain-snap in the heat of battle. I would back Creagh to smash Hodges in the ring. He is bigger, stronger and was fitter (playing for 80min in the forwards). Just a brain-snap I bet he wishes he could take back like we all have in life. I think it stems from being a good guy, too fair and decent and was stunned to see a grub like Hodges come at him.

Agree 100%Sigurd. Found it interesting what Gasnier said about the incident. He reckons Creagh goes like the a thrashing machine & doesnt mind a blue.So i reckon Hodges was lucky. Anyway in my experience, its not the big mouth wankers you need to worry about,its the quiet guys like Creagh you don't want to stir up

Last edited:

Red V for life

Juniors
Agree 100%Sigurd. Found it interesting what Gasnier said about the incident. He reckons Creagh goes like the a thrashing machine & doesnt mind a blue.So i reckon Hodges was lucky. Anyway in my experience, its not the big mouth wankers you need to worry about,its the quiet guys you don't want to stir up
That whole SOO thing with Creagh fires me up.

He pushed Hodges because 'big man Hodges' 3rd or 4th man in put a swinging arm into his team mate Gidley. A pity he didn't have the stones to do it to one of the bigger boppers in the earlier melee. Creagh didn't expect the (over) reaction from Hodges who had clearly lost the plot by that stage.

Anyway, Benny Creagh is Red V through and through. Such loyalty is in short supply these days and i think it's going to be a while before we find someone similar.

Well done Benny and all the best.

Latest posts