What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bernie Gurr

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No as yet nothing from a constitutional point of view that I know of has actually changed once the new management is installed.

What has changed is the quality neutral aspect of the people put in place. Which is what most of us who don't have agendas or arguments to win simply always wanted.
My point was that the members had no say in the appointment of the current board. Whatever gains we have made will easily be lost unless there are wholesale changes to the way the Parramatta Eels NRL entity has its board selected.

TheRam

Coach
My point was that the members had no say in the appointment of the current board. Whatever gains we have made will easily be lost unless there are wholesale changes to the way the Parramatta Eels NRL entity has its board selected.

You maybe right. But lets hope the right changes are made by the new people in charge.

Gronk

Staff member
IMHO if Mad Max wants constitutional change, then he should go to the members with his proposal ASAP. At the moment the membership would be almost 100% behind the Administrator and new CEO. If polled, I am sure that most members would have a high level of trust in the current management and have little patience for any white-anting that former factions may attempt to dish out.

The Colonel

Immortal
From Burnie's LinkedIn Page

Summary
Australian-born international business executive now residing in greater Los Angeles area, with extensive experience in both general business and the sports business.

Experience
Chief Financial Officer, Americas
Crown Pacific, Inc. (Huntington Beach, California)
February 2007 – Present (9 years 8 months)
Chief Financial Officer
Bluetorch Inc. (Los Angeles)
June 2004 – December 2005 (1 year 7 months)Los Angeles, California
Chief Executive Officer
Sydney Roosters Rugby League Football Club (Sydney)
October 1994 – November 2003 (9 years 2 months)
Director of Finance
World Cup USA 1994, Inc. (Los Angeles)
April 1993 – September 1994 (1 year 6 months)
Finance Manager
California Hardware Company (Los Angeles)
May 1989 – March 1993 (3 years 11 months)Los Angeles, California
Senior Audit Manager
Arthur Young & Company (Ernst & Young) (Los Angeles)
March 1987 – March 1989 (2 years 1 month)Los Angeles, California
Senior Audit Manager
Arthur Young & Company (Ernst & Young) (Sydney)
January 1980 – January 1987 (7 years 1 month)Sydney, Australia
(Open)1 project
  • Tour Accountant - Australian Tour of "DURAN DURAN" music group
    View
https://www.linkedin.com/in/berniegurr

Duran Duran ? lol

This is an appointment that has been a long time coming and quite possibly one of the smartest the club has made.

ash411

Bench
IMHO if Mad Max wants constitutional change, then he should go to the members with his proposal ASAP. At the moment the membership would be almost 100% behind the Administrator and new CEO. If polled, I am sure that most members would have a high level of trust in the current management and have little patience for any white-anting that former factions may attempt to dish out.
The PLC membership deciding what happens to the NRL club has to stop.

It wouldn't surprise me if a large percentage of the PLC membership weren't even Parra supporters.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

All depends on who turns up to the AGM/EGM.

strider

Post Whore
I wonder if it was Burnie's idea to put lots of tits in their film clips.
You thinking we might end up with chicks on greasy poles having pillow fights as halftime entertainment next year

Would probably increase memberships

Suitman

Post Whore
All depends on who turns up to the AGM/EGM.

Exactly.
I'm guessing that at a max there might be 10 - 20000 of the 40 thousand members who actually give a shit about the Eels.
Of those, there's lucky to be 1000 who turn up and vote.
The whole setup is a joke.

emjaycee

Coach
Have said it before, the changes to the PNRL constitution have already been made and allow for up to 3 independent directors who are NOT allowed to be PLC members.

The Plumber and cronies did this in order to get the 2015 PWC review ticked.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Exactly.
I'm guessing that at a max there might be 10 - 20000 of the 40 thousand members who actually give a shit about the Eels.
Of those, there's lucky to be 1000 who turn up and vote.
The whole setup is a joke.

There was only around 300 maybe less at this year's AGM. And that was a record number or close to it.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I knew I was being generous with the 1000. I was trying to be conservative.

Tbf to a lot of members it was on a Monday night, if it was held on a weekend there'd probably be more of a turnout as we had about 1200 that voted in the last elections. This year was my first AGM and it was mostly bickering from Fitzgerald and co about the wording on specific parts of motions.

Suitman

Post Whore
Tbf to a lot of members it was on a Monday night, if it was held on a weekend there'd probably be more of a turnout as we had about 1200 that voted in the last elections. This year was my first AGM and it was mostly bickering from Fitzgerald and co about the wording on specific parts of motions.

Maybe why that's not many turned up.

I'm being facetious.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/1172bd21fdfbfdf9a4321d8be68120db

Incoming Parramatta CEO Bernie Gurr describes the Eels as the “sleeping giant” of Australian sport
1172bd21fdfbfdf9a4321d8be68120db

Nick Tabakoff, Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
39 minutes ago

1172bd21fdfbfdf9a4321d8be68120db

INCOMING Parramatta CEO Bernie Gurr has no fear of taking on the game’s most difficult club job, instead describing the Eels as the “sleeping giant” of Australian sport.

In a detailed interview with the Daily Telegraph, Gurr has also revealed he also applied for the NRL chief executive’s role after the code’s former boss Dave Smith departed late last year.

Speaking from the US on Thursday, where he is the American CFO of internal logistics group Crown Worldwide, Gurr said that rugby league remained his passion: “I have never lost my love of the game.”

Gurr talked up the positives of taking on a job many would run away from: turning around the fortunes of Parramatta after the worst year in its seven-decade history, highlighted by the salary cap scandal that ruined the club’s season on and off the field, and saw the entire board and senior management team sacked.

“If there’s a sleeping giant in Australian sport, it’s Parramatta,” he said. “It was the one club job I’d ever consider. For all the negativity about the year they’ve had in 2016, if you look at the club today, (Eels administrator) Max (Donnelly) has done some terrific things. He has removed two boards, and started to put some stability and good governance around the football club.”

Gurr is returning to Australia in October with his American wife Peggy on a three-year-deal worth in excess of $500,000 a year, after more than 12 years living in America.

He admitted he applied for the NRL CEO role late last year, ultimately won by the code’s current boss Todd Greenberg. One of his close friends, Brian Canavan, is also now the NRL’s head of football.

Why Gurr’s sudden interest in returning to Australia after so long overseas? “The reason was simply that my sons are grown now.”

Additionally, he is excited that he will now be in much-closer proximity to many family members in Australia. His brother, former Roosters star Marty Gurr, lives on the Gold Coast, while his parents — now in their late 80s — live in Armidale.

He said Parramatta had some issues “you can’t fix overnight, but others you can fix pretty quickly”.

“The footy program is in pretty good shape,” he said. “With all the off-field issues at Parramatta, they had $1-2 million of salary cap talent that didn’t play for significant parts of the season — Kieran Foran, Corey Norman and Anthony Watmough.

“They left a lot of salary cap dollars on the sideline, and were still very competitive. A lot of teams would have dropped their bundle after they lost 12 points like Parramatta did.”

His first order of business would be urgently to find support for coach Brad Arthur with a new head of football to replace the banned Daniel Anderson, after an initial search by the club identified no suitable candidates. “You need to be looking for a general manager of football. We need the right support structures for Brad.”

Asked for his opinion of Arthur, he replied: “Mate, I’ve never met the guy, but from an observational point of view, he’s certainly resilient. He has put out a very well prepared football team that has been in the contest every week. Brad’s ability to keep that team up every week this year has been just outstanding in the circumstances.”

While not mentioning them by name, he appeared to make a thinly veiled swipe at the previous Eels administration led by deregistered ex-CEO John Boulous and banned former chairman Steve Sharp.

Arthur, in interviews with the NRL Integrity Unit, had accused the previous Eels leadership of constantly interfering and meddling in his coaching decisions. “We are there to support the football club,” he said. “Off-field staff are there to support the football staff.”

But Gurr admitted the club would need some time to rebuild its corporate support, after a disastrous loss of sponsors in the wake of this year’s salary cap scandal exposed by The Telegraph.

“That is one of the things that will take time,” he said. “If companies are investing in the club, they want a commercial return. They want to align themselves with clubs that have good reputations, and the negativity around Parramatta doesn’t augur well with sponsors.”

Gurr believes 2017 is a year where the club needs to “demonstrate some stability and good governance, and engage with the fans again.”

He is comfortable with the outspokenness of Parramatta fans. “Passion is awesome,” he said. “We have to be aware of who our customers are: they’re our fans. We need to be a fan-centric club.”

He points to the fact that the Eels this year broke its membership record by topping 23,000 members this year, despite its off-field trials. In the context of what has happened to the club, there’s great potential for the club there,” he said. “It’s a supporter base ready to be activated.”

“If you take a huge supporter base, great junior league, and in two years, the best club stadium in Sydney — all in the geographical heart of Sydney — it could be a very potent mix.”

Latest posts