What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst commentator?

SBD82

Coach
Blocker often says dumb things and doesn't know the rules of the game. I also can't stand Wally "go you good thing" Lewis, especially during origin/broncos games. I like Ennis, he can be logical and point out weaknesses/strengths in the teams playing and can also hype up big moments. Vossy keeps it entertaining as well.
Wally “dictating terms” Lewis is a punish to listen to.

Blocker kills me as a commentator, but he’s great on other shows. If you haven’t checked out the Matty Johns podcast, it’s worth a go. Blocker and PK telling old yarns is a nice insight into some of the characters of the game.

SBD82

Coach
Nighty is being interviewed on grandstand right now about the 2010 GF if anyone is interested.

Crush

Coach
Best: Vossy. Knows how to add excitement where needed & knows the players.

Essentially your professional commentator. His whole career has been based around his voice.

Not sure why they insist on using former players as commentators.

Most of them have a good face for radio, and an even better voice for print media.

Which brings me into my least favourite - Roach.

He’s a perfect example of why we have the HIA rule nowadays.

Saw a pop up on Fox yesterday when he was talking, saying “Steve Roach, 13 origins”.

I mean, that’s great and all, but how in the name of Ravalawa’s beard does that qualify him to talk about the game these days?

The best commentators on anything tend to be those who don’t have skin in the game - they can be impartial, critical, but most of all can be employed based on the skills for the role rather than experience on field.

You don’t need to have played the game to know the game.

An example is Matt Preston, easily the best judge on Masterchef, and he isn’t even a chef.

Anyway, best you re-read this post using Ray Warren’s voice for best effect.
Love Blocker because he calls us The Saints!
Hate Darren Lockyer, he's a rubbish commentator.
I dont mind anyone on the FOX call generally.
And generally dislike the entire NINE call.

blacksafake

First Grade
Like Andrew Moore(abc) & Maroon(mmm) on radio.
Vossy on tv. Don’t mind Sterlo & Joey although it’s been a while since I’ve watched 9.

Chris Warren on 2gb is by far the worst caller. He often has to be told by his co commentator what happened.
Anasta, Ennis & Meninga annoy me.
Ennis seems to have been anointed the guru on Fox. Why I don’t know.

redv13

Bench
I’d take Vossy any day and sterling from ch 9, the rest can eat a bag of di**s. The biggest bunch of wankers all of them. Radio land Andrew Moore goes well but I also love Dave Morrow especially when Saints are on. Can get excited for his beloved dragon's old Davey!!

Last edited:

Banjo2014

Juniors
At FOX NRL there has to be a few changes ....

My predictions ... GONE!!!!!!!!!!

Dan Ginnane
Braith Anasta
Cooper Cronk
Chad Townsend
Sorry Benji (Boring)
Macgregor - no more Matty John's legups
Justin Hodges

Bring Back Controversy Corner with Graeme Hughes
Bring Back Finchie - going to start a go fund me page for a George Street protest
Bring in Beau Ryan
Do not bring back Sam Burgess

But my real prediction - James Graham to return - Oh My God he's shocking

Dragsters

First Grade
Best: Vossy. Knows how to add excitement where needed & knows the players.

Essentially your professional commentator. His whole career has been based around his voice.

Not sure why they insist on using former players as commentators.

Most of them have a good face for radio, and an even better voice for print media.

Which brings me into my least favourite - Roach.

He’s a perfect example of why we have the HIA rule nowadays.

Saw a pop up on Fox yesterday when he was talking, saying “Steve Roach, 13 origins”.

I mean, that’s great and all, but how in the name of Ravalawa’s beard does that qualify him to talk about the game these days?

The best commentators on anything tend to be those who don’t have skin in the game - they can be impartial, critical, but most of all can be employed based on the skills for the role rather than experience on field.

You don’t need to have played the game to know the game.

An example is Matt Preston, easily the best judge on Masterchef, and he isn’t even a chef.

Anyway, best you re-read this post using Ray Warren’s voice for best effect.

I did and it took me 27 minutes to get through as I got sidetracked and babbled on about something totally unrelated to the game I was calling....

Ritzley

Juniors
Like Andrew Moore - tells it like it is and absolutely gave it to the Dragons today about the way Frizz had been coached to play the last two seasons.

slippery5

Juniors
Johns is an arrogant "I'm right" shut up anyone else's opinion, as was the case when Fittler correctly disagreed with his opinion on Ramsay not been given a chance to contest the ball in the try to Earl.
No wonder Erin Molan doesn't get on with him, probably thinks what would you know?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Worst Ray Hadly - dead boring.
Best Vossy - very knowledgeable and passionate for a bloke who never played the game

redv13

Bench
Radio: Dave Morrow and Andrew Moore
TV: Vossy by a country mile.

MMM coverage is crap, too much chitter chat and not enough commentating.
TV: whole Ch 9 commentary team is useless bar Sterling, he’s an unbiased champion

Latest posts