What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Canberra side ever

thickos

First Grade
Interesting thread - but do you want individual people's opinion on the best team , maybe a poll?

It would keep the off-season interesting...

Kris_man

Bench
Kris_man's best ever Raiders team:

1.Gary Belcher
2.Noa Nadruku
3.Mal Meninga (c)
4.Brett Mullins
5.John "Chicka" Ferguson
6.Laurie Daley
7.Ricky Stuart
8.Glenn Lazarus
9.Steve Walters
10.Luke Davico
11.Ruben Wiki
12.David Furner
13.Bradley Clyde

14.Sam Backo
15.Jason Croker
16.Dean Lance
17.Mark McLinden

NOTES:
-players in bold are automatic selections for that position.- one dilemma i had was where to play Ruben Wiki: centre, which suited him when he was young, or back row, which suited him when he was older?
- another dilemma i had was that THERE ARE TOO MANY GOOD PLAYERS!!! it's very likely i'll change it after seeing other people's teams for player's i've overlooked.

Kris_man's Raiders best ever B team: (that doesn't sound right :lol:)

1.Ken Nagas
2.Lesley Vainikolo
3.David Boyle
4.Phil Graham
5.Joel Monaghan
6.Chris O'Sullivan
7.Ivan Henjak (was he a halfback?)
8.John Lomax
9.Simon Woolford (c)
10.Quentin Pongia
11.David Barnhill
12.Gary Coyne
13.Ben Kennedy

14.Brent Todd
15.Ryan O'Hara
16.David Westley
17.Brett Finch

skeepe

Immortal
1. Gary Belcher
2. Noa Nadruku
3. Mal Meninga (c)
4. Laurie Daley
5. John Ferguson
6. Chris O'Sullivan
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Brent Todd
9. Steve Walters
10. Glen Lazarus
11. Ruben Wiki
12. David Furner
13. Bradley Clyde

14. Jason Croker
15. Brett Mullins
16. Luke Davico
17. Dean Lance

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
My side

1. Gary Belcher followed very closely by Clinton Schifcofske and Brett Mullins

2. Ken Nagas

3. Mal Meninga

4. Jason Croker

5. Noa Nadruku

6. Laurie Daley

7. Ricky Stuart

8. John Lomax

9. Steve Walters

10. Glenn Lazarus

11. Ruben Wiki

12. David Furner

13. Bradley Clyde

14. Luke Davico

15. Quentin Pongia

16. Ben Kennedy

17. Clinton Schifcofske

there will always be varied opinions but no matter what...a Raiders all time team is VERY good

edabomb

First Grade
1. Belcher
2. Mullins
3. Meninga
4. Croker
5. Nadruku
6. Daley
7. Stuart
8. Lomax
9. Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Wiki
12. Furner
13. Clyde

14. O'Sullivan
15. Davico
16. Backo
17. Lance

Anyone with Steve Jackson in their best ever Raiders team is clearly in need of help.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
edabomb said:
1. Belcher
2. Mullins
3. Meninga
4. Croker
5. Nadruku
6. Daley
7. Stuart
8. Lomax
9. Walters
10. Lazarus
11. Wiki
12. Furner
13. Clyde

14. O'Sullivan
15. Davico
16. Backo
17. Lance

Anyone with Steve Jackson in their best ever Raiders team is clearly in need of help.

I would prefer him than Finch like some have entered..... Dean Lance may have been a Raiders captain but in terms of ability Ben Kennedy beats him....I could put in Ben Kennedy instead of Steve Jackson

edabomb

First Grade
Yea I would definately rate Kennedy over Jackson, and over Lance in terms of ability. But the players in my team would need to bleed green. This does not mean you're a chance IBG.

Kris_man

Bench
Croker in the centres?! i wasn't gonna mention anything after Chippo, but now two people have done it. Croker played in the centres in 2002, and gosh i hated it! if it's young Toots, though, he could go anywhere i guess. oh shit, i just realised i forgot Peter Jackson...

edabomb

First Grade
He played in the centers a lot in his younger years and went well. You do know he started as a winger right??? He was pretty quick and a completely different player in his early days. The tough thing with these teams is deciding what state along a players career you decide to judge him on, as Wiki and Croker have both changed a lot over their Raiders careers.

SOULS 04

Juniors
1. mullins
2. Nagas
3. Big Mal
4. Wiki
5. Chicka
6. Loz
7. Stuart

8. Lazzo
9. Boxhead
10. Davico
11. Kennedy
12. Furner
13. Clyde

14. Schif
15. Noa
16. Lomax
17. Belcher

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
edabomb said:
He played in the centers a lot in his younger years and went well. You do know he started as a winger right??? He was pretty quick and a completely different player in his early days. The tough thing with these teams is deciding what state along a players career you decide to judge him on, as Wiki and Croker have both changed a lot over their Raiders careers.

Yeah remember Croker in 94 almost running down Williams, i chose Croker in the centres due to his versitility, Wiki is far and away better now so the forwards are his

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
SOULS 04 said:
1. mullins
2. Nagas
3. Big Mal
4. Wiki
5. Chicka
6. Loz
7. Stuart

8. Lazzo
9. Boxhead
10. Davico
11. Kennedy
12. Furner
13. Clyde

14. Schif
15. Noa
16. Lomax
17. Belcher

3 backs on the bench? not very sizable

edabomb

First Grade
Chippo Raiders said:
edabomb said:

Yeah remember Croker in 94 almost running down Williams, i chose Croker in the centres due to his versitility, Wiki is far and away better now so the forwards are his

He gave a better chase than Mullins. That was a great grand final try by Williams though, one of the best I've seen. Up there with Blacklock in 99.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Here's two ways of looking at it

Best of the Best (from the teams I saw since 1987)
1. Gary Belcher
2. Noa Nadruku
3. Mal Meninga (c)
4. Ruben Wiki
5. John Ferguson
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Brent Todd
9. Steve Walters
10. Glenn Lazarus
11. Jason Croker
12. David Furner
13. Bradley Clyde

14. Brett Mullins
15. Dean Lance
16. Ben Kennedy
17. Peter Jackson

Hon. Mentions: Sam Backo, Gary Coyne, Quentin Pongia, John Lomax, Chris O'Sullivan.

Best Side in a Given Year
1990 Side at Full strength, ahead of 94 and 89
1. Gary Belcher
2. Paul Martin
3. Mal Meninga (c)
4. Laurie Daley
5. John Ferguson
6. Chris O'Sullivan
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Brent Todd
9. Steve Walters
10. Glenn Lazarus
11. Dean Lance
12. Gary Coyne
13. Bradley Clyde

14. Wayne Collins
15. David Barnhill
16. Matthew Wood
17. Nigel Gaffey

People don't always give that team credit cause Clyde was injured during the Finals campaign but every player was either at their peak or youngsters already stars of the game playing rep football (after being rookies in 1988-89). The bench was never a 4 man unit - cause back then it was really a 13 man game.

That's just my opinion.

Freddo

Juniors
1. Gary Belcher
2. Brett Mullins
3. Mal Meninga
4. Jason Croker
5. John Ferguon
6. Laurie Daley
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Glenn Lazarus
9. Steve Walters
10. John Lomax
11. Ruben Wiki
12. David Furner
13.Bradley Clyde

14.Chris O'Sullvan
15.Matthew Wood
16.Luke Davico
17.Dean Lance

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
1. Mullins (tough call over Belcher)
2. Nadruku
3. Meninga
4. Nagas
5. Vainikolo (its a shame he wasn't around for longer)
6. Daley
7. Stuart
8. Lazarus
9. Walters
10. Davico
11. Wiki
12. Furner
13. Clyde

14. McLinden (the 1998 version)
15. Lomax
16. Croker
17. Todd

Remember Sean Hoppe used to play for us, I always forget that.

Kris_man

Bench
guys, i wanna see more B teams!

on Croker: i do know that he started as a winger, but he got his reputation playing in the forwards. to me it just makes a lot more sense to have Wiki in the centres, because 1) he spent a lot of time there, probably the majority of his career; 2) he got his reputation, and a heap of NZ caps, playing there; and 3) i don't think Toots was ever a full-time centre. anyway, that's your guys opinions.

on McLinden: i think people are being mean to him.

on Schif: i think people are being nice to him.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Kris_man said:
guys, i wanna see more B teams!

on Croker: i do know that he started as a winger, but he got his reputation playing in the forwards. to me it just makes a lot more sense to have Wiki in the centres, because 1) he spent a lot of time there, probably the majority of his career; 2) he got his reputation, and a heap of NZ caps, playing there; and 3) i don't think Toots was ever a full-time centre. anyway, that's your guys opinions.

on McLinden: i think people are being mean to him.

on Schif: i think people are being nice to him.

But Wiki played his best footy in the forwards, not at centre, he is 4 times the forward Croker is, Croker is not a forward but basically a Mr Versatility which means he covers the weaker areas,

Centre he will do fine, I like Wiki up front...

Schif is given a poor deal because he didn't play with Sticky Mal and Lozza, He was Fullback of the year last year, he was in the running for Australian Fullback in April and sorely missed out on QLD this year.

He is also the clubs greatest Goalkicker

Latest posts