What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best club side since 1988 (without rep players)

Bigfella

Coach
Danny lee should be in te sharks side and I reckon they'd be one of the contenders.

Could probably find them better wingers though?

typicalfan

Coach
Kenny didn't play rep from 88 onwards. Sterlo did. But then all their footy doesnt count either apart from their twilight years.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Novel idea as usual anjado. I think using current players is bit of a lazy out myself, but a fun thread none the less.

For the record, here is my Broncos side...

1. Shane Duffy
2. Craig Frawley
3. Steve Michaels
4. Joel Moon
5. Scott Minto
6. Brett Seymour
7. Ben Walker
8. Nick Kenny
9. Barry Berrigan
10. Andrew Tessman
11. Brett Le Man
12. Ashton Sims
13. Phillip Lee

14. John Plath
15. Shane Tronc
16. Brett Plowman
17. Darren Burns

Yeah, that is literally the best possible side we could come up with under these rules and it would be lucky to make the 8.

Thank f**k for those rep stars.

Iafeta

Referee
10. Brady Malam

Played for New Zealand in the Tri Series State of Origin fiasco in Super League. Believe he played in the game which had without doubt the biggest farce of all time when Sean Hoppe was incredulously called off side on the match winning try despite being a good 7 metres on onside.

Did Bill Tupou never actually play for the Kiwis despite being on the 2011 4Nations Tour?

No.

Iafeta

Referee
Jim Neal was the chap's name, the touch judge. Absolutely disgraceful decision that one.

Loudstrat

Coach
Well it was Traitor League. You expected competency/fairness/absence of Rupert/Ribot/Bennett instructions to match officials?

Serves you right for watching that garbage!

Big Pete

Referee
THE CHAMP said:
Berrick Barnes? Can we have Gagai back?

I considered Berrick but he barely had a career in Rugby League and plays Test footy for the other code. You could include him, but I think it goes against the spirit of the rules.

I made a point of not picking current players as you just never know whether they'll become rep players or not. I suspect we'll see a few more players from our current squad feature in these lists down the track though.

anjado

Juniors
Mick Potter did too but prior to 1988 so it doesn't count.

That was a massive oversight on my part i never realised he played Origin in 1984, I guess that means either Darren South,Clinton Mohr, Rod Maybon or Dean Raper as fullback for the Dragons.

Brad Drew

Brad Drew wasn't a first grade standard player until late 1998. Penrith never won a game he started at halfback and he only started 6 of them. His best form for Penrith came in 1999/2000 when he was used as an impact sub. Penrith should have moved him to hooker and Gower to Halfback in 1999. Luke Walsh despite his faults still managed to play 5-6 good games a season so you are looking for a Penrith halfback who played 40 good games.

I think he did but I was just rating the teams. Croker played in the 2000 WC if memory serves correct.

Jarrod Croker not Jason.

Novel idea as usual anjado. I think using current players is bit of a lazy out myself, but a fun thread none the less.

For the record, here is my Broncos side...

1. Shane Duffy
2. Craig Frawley
3. Steve Michaels
4. Joel Moon
5. Scott Minto
6. Brett Seymour
7. Ben Walker
8. Nick Kenny
9. Barry Berrigan
10. Andrew Tessman
11. Brett Le Man
12. Ashton Sims
13. Phillip Lee

14. John Plath
15. Shane Tronc
16. Brett Plowman
17. Darren Burns

To be fair naming 1 team without current players might be easy naming 16 though is another matter ;) I was considering Shane Duffy at fullback.

Sharks would be close to having the best spine if youd put Preston at 6 and Docking at fullback

Jonathan Docking played for NSW in 1987 and 1988

Craig Innes in the centres for Manly.

Craig Innes was a bit of a cop out to be honest i presumed he played for NZ he was a fantastic player and one of the most underrated centre's of the past 25-30 years. He did play for the Rest of the World though against Australia and since that was really the only legitimate ARL test match after the 1995 World Cup i think that should disqualify him.

Good Eels side, but I'd have Tim Smith in for Penna, who goes in the centres for Jackson (useless!) I had a lot of time for Chad Robinson too.

That opens up a can of worms doesnt it!

If you are talking about SINCE 1988, then our halves become

6) Brett Kenny
7) Peter Sterling

and we would be undefeated! But the OP clearly said no origins/tests at any period.

I'd say our side would be closer to this:

1. Wade McKinnon
2. Luke Burt
3. David Woods
4. David Penna
5. Scott Mahon
6. Jason Bell
7. Tim Smith
8. Matt Goodwin
9. Brad Drew
10. Mark Tookey
11. Ian Hindmarsh
12. Glenn Morrison
13. Mark Laurie

14. Mark Riddell
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Chad Robinson
17. Dean Widders

That side would easily be in your top 4.

Mick Potter was a stupid mistake by me i should have checked.

I was strongly considering Tim Smith for halfback but i chose Penna due to him playing quite well in 1999 for Parramatta. But there was nothing in it really and Chad Robinson was 18th man he was the last guy i left out.

Played for New Zealand in the Tri Series State of Origin fiasco in Super League. Believe he played in the game which had without doubt the biggest farce of all time when Sean Hoppe was incredulously called off side on the match winning try despite being a good 7 metres on onside.

No.

I actually had a feeling Brady Malam played for New Zealand. My players were picked using Rugby League project and they didn't have him down as playing in the tri series.

So i guess that disqualifies him and maybe Sione Lousi can fill in.

anjado

Juniors
Grant played for the Wobbolies, does he still count. Could have swore Jacin played a game of the bench for NSW, but records indicate I dreamt it up. Didn't have to take out many rep players for Balmain during the 90s unfortunately.

Nah Wallabies games don't count different code. I also thought the same about Jacin Sinclair and could have swore he played for NSW but he didn't.

Loudstrat

Coach
Anjado, its semantics. Bloody good effort to do what you did!

BTW - Dragons fullback - Clint Greenshields?

Big Pete

Referee
Just a correction for my Broncos side...

12. Brett Plowman
16. Palmer Wapau

Because why not?

anjado

Juniors
Anjado, its semantics. Bloody good effort to do what you did!

BTW - Dragons fullback - Clint Greenshields?

Clint Greenshields went on to play for France, which is why i put in the no French players rule which only really rules out Clint Greenshields and maybe Justin Murphy. Plus he would be St George Illawarra and Patten was better your looking for St George fullback's 88-98.

Thanks for the compliment but it didn't really take that long apart from Brisbane and the Warriors most of the other sides picked themselves.

Loudstrat

Coach
Fair points. Saints have produced some great fullbacks in that era - including post merge.

As an aside, what about coaches?

A shortlist of those that never coached above City v Country -

Brian Smith
Steve Folkes
Graham Murray
Peter Louis
Des Hasler
Rick Stone
Daniel Anderson
Andrew Farrar
Warren Ryan
Nathan Brown
Phil Economedes
Shane Flanagan

Loudstrat

Coach
Thinking also about a top XIII side plus bench -

1. Luke Patton
2. Luke Burt
3. Ryan Cross
4. Konrad Hurrell
5. Amos Roberts
6. Chris O'Sullivan
7. Preston Campbell
8. Adam Ritson
9. Michael Monaghan
10. John Skandalis
11. Lance Thompon
12. Ian Hindmarsh
13. Glenn Morrison

14. Scott Gale
15. Dean Lance
16. Adrian Toole
17. Todd Payton

Coach: Warren Ryan

That side would have a fair crack at a premiership at any time in that era I reckon.