What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dragons Props

Minh

First Grade
I've just come up with a list of who I think have been the best Dragons props of the last 20 years and here is my top 10:

1. Weyman (Premiership winner and a key to our 2010 campaign)
2. Bailey ( Wasn't nicknamed the "bull" for nothing way better than Ryles)
3. Osbourne (Great ball playing prop and left us at the peak of his powers)
4. Merrin (Will be the best prop in the comp in 2 years time- destined for No.1)
5. Stevens ( outstanding young talent with a great offload)
6. Priddle (got the job done well)
7. Costigan ( the enforcer, rose to the occasion in the absence of Hunt)
8. Dan Hunt (under rated player)
9. Craig Smith ( Inspirational leader but controversial effectively rubbed out for the knees)
10. Ryles ( almost left out because of his ill discipline, damaging at his best.)

Breathingfire

Juniors
I've just come up with a list of who I think have been the best Dragons props of the last 20 years and here is my top 10:

4. Merrin (Will be the best prop in the comp in 2 years time- destined for No.1)
9. Craig Smith ( Inspirational leader but controversial effectively rubbed out for the knees)
10. Ryles ( almost left out because of his ill discipline, damaging at his best.)

Craig Smith and daylight second IMO. Bailey was good, but didn't rate Ryles.

Minh

First Grade
I remember him taking us all the way to the 99 GF! Surprised Corey Pearson didn't find a spot in your 10...

Yeah I really rate Corey ran the ball as hard as anyone but wasn't quite as effective towards the end, even Justine Poore was very good I just felt those other players were just a little better but that's just my opinion.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
'Osbourne (Great ball playing prop and left us at the peak of his powers)

From memory one of the players Brian relaxed got rid of along with Brad Mackay.

Breathingfire

Juniors
So Barnhill qualifies as a backrower i take it? I remember getting his autograph in the auditorium at the Taj when i was 5.

2010Dragons

Bench

You have missed the BEST PROP... CRAIG YOUNG, Team captain, Club Captain, Australia Captain....

big pat

Coach
You have missed the BEST PROP... CRAIG YOUNG, Team captain, Club Captain, Australia Captain....

well to be pedantic, it did say last 20years, but i agree with fat albert, he was awesome in the 77' and 77' grand final, and the the panasonic cup win over the tigers were stand outs.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Bickerstaff was a good back rower. he was excellent for us in his only year.

For mine - Bull. All heart and much much more. The current crop are awesome too. I remember about 4 years ago that we were known as the prop factory. A large chunk of NRL props had started their careers at Saints.

Anyone else remember the Massoud doom and gloom article in 07 when the NSW front row was Kite, Bailey & White?

RedVee

First Grade
Merrin? not yet.
Osbourne? never quite lived up to his potential.

Fan of Ryles, Baily, Weyman, Hunt, but esp Smith.
Priddle could have been anything for a while there. Another coiple that I cant quite remember the names of, big log that played 96 GF and ended up with manly is another that didnt live up to his potential. Another guy I rated - but cant remember - played around that time and upto JV, picked up from Chooks via Gold Coast????

Godz Illa

Coach
Another coiple that I cant quite remember the names of, big log that played 96 GF and ended up with manly is another that didnt live up to his potential. Another guy I rated - but cant remember - played around that time and upto JV, picked up from Chooks via Gold Coast????
First one sounds like Neil Tierney. He played for us in the 93 grand final, but was on the Manly side of the field in the 96 GF.

Second would be Colin Ward. What a front row combo Ward and Troy Stone formed in 96!

Mr Red

First Grade
i think Bailey at his peak was the best we have had for a while: high workrate, quick for a big man, always first to lead the kick chase, always first back to hit it up after a kick.

Craig Smith had the mongrel and leadership we would love to have now..
Tony Priddle - one that never reached his potential.

RedVDave

First Grade
What a wonderful success story Weyman has turned out to be from overweight, unfit, injury/suspension prone fringe first grader to Australian prop amazing! Deserves every accolade he gets along with Hickmans and Bennett.

Latest posts