What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dragons Props

gregstar

Referee
paul osbourne was absolute dross.

he had terrible ball security, went for the magic offload every second tackle, & was one of the laziest & undisciplined forwards we've ever had.

the 20-30 minute grand final performance for the raiders in '94 completely belied his efforts of the previous 10 seasons.

after that grand final, every player who ever pulled on a saints jersey alongside him, should have poured onto the field & beaten the tripe out of him.

Slackboy72

Coach
The thing about Bailey is that he would come up with a big run or something that would make you sit up and notice watching from the sidelines.
Now imagine how that would inspire his teammates when he did that.
I remember being bashed from pillar to post by some bush team and then our prop would stand up and smash some no name grub. The whole team would lift and the angry pills would be out. It makes such a difference to a team.

watatank

Coach
Ryles was awesome for us

He won our player of the year award three times, only other player to do that is Creagh

Bingerz

Juniors
Ryles was a very good player, he had his issues but he was quality in the first half of his career

fortae

Bench
Ryles was better than Bailey at club level. Forget that he was a better defender and made more meters per carry. Ryles is derided for his handling and penalities, yet Bailey made more handling errors and gave away more penalties per game in every season bar his last with us.

The other thing was that Ryles always played well in finals. Bailey had good games off the bench but struggled starting in finals, especially with handling. Bailey's reputation, like Barrett's, is tinged by SOO appearances in the eyes of the wider public. This means nothing to this question.

RedVDave

First Grade
Ryles was better than Bailey at club level. Forget that he was a better defender and made more meters per carry. Ryles is derided for his handling and penalities, yet Bailey made more handling errors and gave away more penalties per game in every season bar his last with us.

The other thing was that Ryles always played well in finals. Bailey had good games off the bench but struggled starting in finals, especially with handling. Bailey's reputation, like Barrett's, is tinged by SOO appearances in the eyes of the wider public. This means nothing to this question.

:lol: yeah ok :roll:
Bailey had something that Ryles never did and thats heart gave it 110% with every ball carry and every tackle not to mention he played injured quiet often, so because Bailey had a few errors in him that makes Ryles better? I don't think so Thompson had poor hands at times but played with passion, something far more important that making a few more meters, also Ryles was not a team player IMO, I'll never forget that Sharks game when he conceded that dumb penalty to give them a penalty goal 40 out right in front of the posts instead of putting his hand up saying sorry he blamed it on another team mate and said "I was cleaning up for him" stats are not everything.

fortae

Bench
Always interesting when the amateur body language experts have their say ...

Intangibles are an important part but they need to be backed by something solid. You can't rely on what people believe, because it's usually tinged by bias and when/where incidents are spotlighted. ShaiGuY mentions Kite's hands because he had a run of a few weeks in a row in 2003 where he dropped a few more ... people had a go at him and the label stuck. Truth was that he had lower figures than similar forwards and much lower in 2002 and 2004.

A number of the things mentioned about Ryles apply to Bailey, but are forgotten. Another that you mentioned was injuries ... Bailey missed 4-5 months of football twice. He missed games in 2000 with injury. He struggled through 2003 with injury. They ended up playing a similar amount of games in those seasons together, even though Bailey debuted earlier.

It's the same with other areas mentioned, apart from offloads, where you can't really make a comparison between styles of players, what they are able and are asked to do. The stats are there to support what you have to say. It doesn't support what you have to say. And suspensions? He's the only player to be suspended for obstruction. His fault? His high tackle where the Manly player dropped quickly has been defended many times since ... Bailey was suspended at least once but also missed suspension on two incidents against Newcastle, but he could have easily been in Ryles' position.

Bailey had two very good seasons with us. 2000 when he should have been rookie of the year, but missed a few games due to hamstring problems (plus competition from Amos Roberts). 2005 when he was signing with the Titans, he was exceptional up until the finals. There might have have been a couple more if not for injury, but that's being kind. This is not about what if ... after his first series playing well for NSW, he made a number of comments about needing to play better for the club. He was not making metres nor bending the line but was still receiving plaudits.

You mentioned the Sharks game ... Ryles' penalty and assessment doesn't make him a team player? I thought to myself, that doesn't sound right. It wasn't.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/04/06/jason-ryles-accepts-responsibility-in-dragons-defeat/

The same legs tackle (including time held) was made a number of times in that game. He was right in his assessment but he is still wrongly criticised. He was covering for Lagi Setu, who instead of going to marker, went back into the line. Did you want him not to explain what happened? And even then, why not mention how poor Bailey was in the Melbourne final? Is that less significant? Did he act more like a teammate? It was a ridiculous and wrong statement.

This is an old debate. Unfortunately people prefer to go with what they believe, rather than what actually happened. As mentioned, Ryles was our best player in three seasons ... you don't need to be any more definitive. Bailey and Ryles proved to be a good combination in a number of games, where you'd say you can't have one without the other. They also proved to be way too expensive.

Minh

First Grade
I would take Weyman/Merrin over Bailey/Ryles the latter had many years to truly prove their worth and step up and win or get us to a GF, as they say forwards win big games and ultimately they failed to deliver. We had some of the best backs in the comp too in Barrett, Gasnier, Cooper, blacklock and Hornby so in the end no excuses for our big boppers Ryles/Bailey not to dominate on the big stage come finals time.

Puff

First Grade
Weyman/Merrin/Costigan..

They have the ring enough said. I dont care about stats, meters per carry, penalties per game. Its whether you are a winner that makes you a success in the eyes of others and the wider community. No-one is going to remember the runner up, or the most meter gainer per game. People remember those 80 mins at the end of a season. And guys like Weyman, Merrin will feature more in the memories of most then Ryles and Bailey ever will, for obvious reasons.

Minh

First Grade
Weyman/Merrin/Costigan..

They have the ring enough said. I dont care about stats, meters per carry, penalties per game. Its whether you are a winner that makes you a success in the eyes of others and the wider community. No-one is going to remember the runner up, or the most meter gainer per game. People remember those 80 mins at the end of a season. And guys like Weyman, Merrin will feature more in the memories of most then Ryles and Bailey ever will, for obvious reasons.

I'm friggen glad we got Weyman, Merrin and Hunt locked up to contracts with us, together with Scott, Creagh, Young and Prior, awesome forward pack reminds me of the days of Stevens, Priddle, Barnhill, Gourley and Mackay maybe even better.

Minh

First Grade
I hate to bag Dragons players but Ryles was a big sook that should of been more focused on the game and often we paid the price for his ill discipline. He was capable of taking us all the way both he and Bailey but we always came up short. Could have been a real beast of a player.

dragondad

First Grade
Harry Eden and Brian Norton, maybe even Apisai and Inosi Toga!
PS: Just read the first page rather than the last and saw 'the last twenty years'. Maybe I'm a little out! Nevertheless, I'll leave them for those old enough to reminisce.

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
I dont care about stats, meters per carry, penalties per game. Its whether you are a winner that makes you a success in the eyes of others and the wider community. No-one is going to remember the runner up, or the most meter gainer per game. People remember those 80 mins at the end of a season. And guys like Weyman, Merrin will feature more in the memories of most then Ryles and Bailey ever will, for obvious reasons.

Here Here!

Breathingfire

Juniors
Intangibles are an important part but they need to be backed by something solid.

Where are your solids for this tripe you've dished up???

Unfortunately people prefer to go with what they believe, rather than what actually happened. As mentioned, Ryles was our best player in three seasons ... you don't need to be any more definitive. Bailey and Ryles proved to be a good combination in a number of games, where you'd say you can't have one without the other. They also proved to be way too expensive.

Are you trying to sell off these gross generalizations and opinions as solids?

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think what fortae is trying to say is that Ryles was alright.

FTR, I think Ryles was alright as well.

Latest posts