What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Ever NRL Players

dogslife

Coach
Name: Graham Mackay

Teams played for: Western Suburbs, Penrith, Sydney City, South Queensland Crushers, Gold Coast, Manly, Leeds, Bradford, Hull

Why he's the best: Because if 9 clubs want you in a career spanning 15 years, you must be pretty good right?

God-King Dean

Immortal
Player: Jesus Christ
Club: Nazarath Ninjas
Why? Could pass with both hands, kick with both feet and was unbelievable in the wet. Great to have around at after match parties too, never ran out of booze. Career shortened by crippling hand and feet injuries.

:lol:

onthetryline

Juniors
I'd select players like a wine cellar. For certain years, for example:

2005 Benji Marshall
or
2002 Andrew Johns
or
2009 Jared Hayne (Rounds 13-GF)

shiznit

Coach
Name: John Hopoate

Teams played for: Manly & Wests Tigers.

Why he's the best: he single-handedly put rugby league on the front pages of more newspapers around the world than any other footballer in the history of the game.

koal4e

Juniors
Wally Lewis best player I saw play.

Would loved to have seen

Dally Messenger
Messenger was close to 5ft 8in (172cm) and at his peak in rugby league played at around 12 stone (76kg). Les Cubitt, Kangaroo captain in 1921-22, reckoned he was 'the equal of any two backs who ever played rugby league'. In 1926, Tom McMahon, the game's first great referee in Sydney, explained that Messenger was a 'genius' on the football field. 'There was nothing in the game that he could not do well,' McMahon wrote. 'Catch, field, side-step, swerve, tackle and kick goals from beyond the halfway mark.'

He was the peerless goalkicker of his day and renowned for his unorthodoxy. He developed the skill of passing the ball over the heads of opponents and regathering, a move which was later outlawed. He is known to have kicked towering goals from his own side of halfway and also to have kicked a field goal against Glebe while one leg was pinned by Glebe's captain Chris McKivat. Messenger played a pivotal role in Eastern Suburbs' premiership trilogy in 1911-13, after which his club presented him with the Agricultural Shield.

Dave Brown
He smashed the Kangaroo tour point-scoring record in 1933-34 with 285 points, a tally that is not likely to be approached. And in the mid-1930s he was a giant figure in Eastern Suburbs' premiership wins in 1935-36-37. His premiership records of 38 tries in a season and 45 points in one match, both achieved in 1935, stand to this day. In all games that year he scored 385 points, and was captain in every game he played, at age 22.

Harold Horder

Amazing record for a winger. In 1917, scored 5 tries against Norths, then did it again a month later against the same team. No wonder he went to play for Norths and is included in the South Sydney and North Sydney teams of the century.

NSW need him for SOO. Scored 60 points in 2 games against Qld in 1912. Scored 5 tries and 8 goals in one match then a lazy 5 tries and 7 goals in the next. *Tries were then worth 3 points.

This site has fantastic info and videos on rugby league's greats.

Now that is some information!

while most people are looking at more recent players this sounds like some player.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Terry Lamb.

Played at a time of Lewis, Kenny, Fittler, Lyons, Walters and Daley and still shone out above or on a par with them at NRL level for mine; week in week out for 349 weeks.

Wow; could be here all day. But I'm going with Baa Baa. Incredibly underrated player who fans have quickly forgotten. The best ever support player and one of the best ball playing players I have seen. Could seemingly break the line at ease with just a couple of dummies.

CHeck out these accoldaes;

• 1983 Dally M Player of the Year (1st Runner Up in 1984, 1987, 1992. 2nd Runner Up in 1986)
  • 1984 Rothmans Medal Best & Fairest Winner
  • Three times winner of the Dally M Players Player of the Year (1984, 1986, 1995)
  • Record seven times Dally M Five-Eighth of the Year Award (1983, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993)

Last edited:

koal4e

Juniors
What about Bob "The Bear" O'Reilly

Paramatta Eels twice and Penrith too

Bruising prop forward that took no prisoners!

mongoose

Coach
Laurie Daley

Although hes a bit of a douchebag commentator he was sublime at all levels of the game. I still rate him as NSW's best ever competitor. He was captain of NSW from 92-94 when they won 3 years in a row and I think he was only 23yo in 92.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Name: John Hopoate

Teams played for: Manly & Wests Tigers.

Why he's the best: he single-handedly put rugby league on the front pages of more newspapers around the world than any other footballer in the history of the game.

Single handed .... more like one finger :lol:

soc123_au

Staff member
Des Hasler
Penrith, Manly (current Manly coach)
Fantastic competitor, could play in the halves & hooker. At his best it was like there were ten of him. Had the knack of being everywhere on the field. Like a drovers dog. Played in in era of some pretty special halves so a lot of his rep honors were at hooker.

koal4e

Juniors
If you know about Bob O'Reilly, why did you start this thread?

Only found out about him after I started this thread, Ive been researching online about previous top players and came across "The bear" and found out about how pivotal he was to the Eels and what a no holds bar player he was too.

Thought it would be worth putting forward to see what you guys think as Im only going from info read not what I have seen :D

inside_pass

Bench
Darren Lockyer.
Started as a fullback,moved to 5/8 hasn't looked back since.
Ultimate professional,can read the play so well and just seems to keep going even when he is clearly struggling with injury.
The other night was a perfect example of the player he is.Backed up from origin and won the game for his team with that game changing 40/20 kick against the Dragons.
Outstanding player!