What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best ever victory?

Was our victory over the Bulldogs our best ever?

• Yes - without a doubt!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - there have been better ones.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thierry Henry said:
thats the game i remember best,, it was the warriors coming of age,, it was when there was no looking back and it was PAYBACK for 1995 !!!
there was no crowd and hardly any atmosphere.
You're way off the mark. I was at that game and despite the fact that there was only maybe 11,000 people there the atmosphere was HUGE. When we won it was like winning the grand final. People in the stands were juming up and down and hugging each other. Very few games since have come closed to having that much atmosphere despite having twice the crowd.
As for the quality of the football maybe it wasn't top notch but it was close and desparate and that second half was as nail-biting as any I've experienced.

AuckMel

Bench
I was sitting in my lounge watching that game, and when the final whistle blew I became very emotional. IIRC, I actually shed a tear or two.

IMO, the Broncos are the benchmark. Not only in the way they play, but the way in which a successful club is run. I get more satisfaction when we beat them than any other team.

ripper

I was at that storm vs warriors game back in '98. Good game it was too, although the Raiders vs Warriors last year was preety nerve racking - especially Jones field goal.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
thats the game i remember best,, it was the warriors coming of age,, it was when there was no looking back and it was PAYBACK for 1995 !!!

I've got it on tape, you should watch it. It was a lacklustre game against a weakened Broncos side, there was no crowd and hardly any atmosphere.
:-s

Are you thinking of the same game here? The 13-12 win in 2001 was one of the all-time best. I remember (like AuckMel) getting a bit emotional while leaping up and down in the South Stand and will always remember that day as the day the Warriors grew up. From then on we knew we could match anyone.

Actually, I would love to have that tape if you don't watch it anymore!

Stormin Norman

Juniors
Round 16, 1998: Auckland 24 beat Melbourne 21. We were trailing 18-21 when the full-time siren went off, but Stacey Jones put up a 'desperation' bomb which was batted back into the arms of Tony Tatupu who managed to scramble across the line. The Video Ref took four minutes to give the green light!

thank u for reminding me :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
Are you thinking of the same game here? The 13-12 win in 2001 was one of the all-time best. I remember (like AuckMel) getting a bit emotional while leaping up and down in the South Stand and will always remember that day as the day the Warriors grew up. From then on we knew we could match anyone.

Actually, I would love to have that tape if you don't watch it anymore!

I'd love to give it to ya, the game was dry as hell, although it was probably worse on TV, Costigan seemed to be struggling a bit in those early days. There are a few interesting points from watching a Warriors game in 2001 though- you realise that Monty Betham actually used to be a very strong ball-carrier, and that Francis Meli used to be skinny!

da mad maori

Juniors
I'm sure I added something to this thread,Must have been drunk,But I dont drink,
Must be going mad,But I'm already MAD,Must have Alziemers,I cant remember.!!! :? :x #-o

rat

Juniors
for me the 17-16 victory over Canberra comes to mind. the boys showed they can play league aussie style. Going at it set for set, brutal, uncomprimising defence.

playdaball

Bench
Best victory...

Eric Watson getting the warriors ahead of the other group whose name now escapes me.

Latest posts