What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best example of a player standing up when the first choice becomes unavailable

Charlie124

First Grade
When everyone found out Jonathan Thurston was gone for the season I’m sure most people wrote off the cowboys chances for this year. However as we have all seen Michael Morgan has risen out of Thurstons shadow and announced himself as a genuine superstar of the game in his own right.

What are some other examples of players who arrived when they were called upon to fill in for a first choice player who was injured or unavailable?

I see your Michael Morgan coming for JT in 2017 and raise you a Michael Morgan coming in for Lachlan Coote in 2014. Following Matty Bowen's retirement in 2013, new fullback recruit - Coote blows his knee out in the Auckland Nines a couple of weeks before the season kicks off. New coach, Paul Green sees something nobody else does in this makeshift, middle of the road fill in halfback/five-eighth, Michael Morgan and decides to throw him into the FB role. Morgan goes on to have an absolutely stellar year in a position pretty much foreign to him to the point that many Cowboys fans (myself included) were questioning where/if Lachlan Coote could even come back into the squad once he got fit. Morgan was outstanding and could've gone on to make a career fullback until Green had other ideas, and shit I'm glad he did.

#InGreenWeTrust

King hit

Coach
I remembered Brett Finch's origin game in 2006 when he was called into the team on the day of the game. Alan Langer being controversialy picked to debut in 1987 origin over Laurie Spina and being outstanding in a beaten team.

The_Shield

Juniors
I know it's not rugby league but Kareem Hunt has been awesome to start the year for the Chiefs. If not for the injury to Spencer Ware he would of been the backup

no name

Coach
Or steroids
There was always speculation about it, I mean, look at the size of him, especially those arms......
msc-16.jpg

Latest posts