What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best looking Warriors outfit ever... They'll win it all!

e1ectroniCa

Juniors
I think this year is gonna be big for the Warriors. Depth is the key and this year they seem to have that in spades. Whichever cliche you wanna trot out whether it's experience vs. youth, ball players vs calm heads, raw talent vs established plays, leadership vs freestyle, backs v forwards, spine vs good support men, converse 6 vs 7 playing style, etc etc etc the Warriors have all of it. Then there's the Sonny Fai factor, his name will be embroidered on ever official jumper and with 23,000 fans turning out to two trial games (including one in the rain) it looks all on for the Warriors.

Will they ride the wave from the New Zealand World Cup win?

What do you think...

wittyfan

Referee
Will still be iffy away from home.

Price is a year older.

Jury still out on the halves.

_Johnsy

Referee
Personally I think a definate top 8.

But that is the thing wih the warriors, they could miss the 8, you never know what they'll do.

e1ectroniCa

Juniors
I think the only question mark on the halves is whether or not you'll get a boner watching Witty cruise around because there's no better option, WF.

We have halves options coming out our ringpiece much like Wittyfan on a saturday night. Lets not forget Stacey is back and while I think he's waaay past it, at least the team won't lean on him considering we have Fien, Hohaia etc that can fill in for him not including Moon, Foran, Ropati, etc etc etc that can step into that role. But lets not focus too much on the halves cos frankly that's my only concern as well. Moon played well there in the trials and played all his junior footy there for the rep Brissy sides as a junior and we all know how competitive it is growing up in that neck of the woods. To shine there is testament to having skeels.

e1ectroniCa

Juniors
What do ya play there in your best Warriors lineup?

6. Fien
7. Jones

6. Moon
7. Fien

6. Ropati
7. Foran

6. Hohaia
7. Jones

There's a million and one choices. I'm not even including other obvious Warriors options there this season.

Consistency will be the key for them. It's been their main weakness in the past (one week they're world beaters, the next they get cleaned up by a wooden spoon contender). If they can improve this aspect of their game they'll be a real contender. That said they did play some quality consistent football at the backend of 2008.

e1ectroniCa

Juniors
High expectations for a good Warriors season were signalled when 16,703 turned out to watch them come from three tries down to edge North Queensland with a late scoring blitz at North Harbour Stadium yesterday.
There was plenty for the coaching staff and fans to be pleased about.
The new buys from Brisbane, Joel Moon and Denan Kemp, both looked extremely sharp in attack and will add another dimension to the offence.
The key components of the successful 2008 campaign look ready to back up - from prop Steve Price and secondrower Simon Mannering to half Nathan Fien and wing Manu Vatuvei, who all played their first game in three months, to fullback Wade McKinnon, who covered the Cowboys' kicks well.
Utility Lance Hohaia was sharp, scoring in back-up after Kemp made a 60m break.
In the halves, Stacey Jones was as commanding as ever, ordering the troops around and showing calm precision under pressure. His role was largely ball distribution, and he set up tries for Malo Solomona - when he handled twice in a run-around and then went wide to the winger - and for youngster Lewis Brown after a repeat set of six near the Cowboys' line.

Moon looks dangerous most times he gets the ball; big and strong in the mould of Brad Fittler, he's keen to run and able to off-load. So there is no need for Jones to run, just to set his international outsides, including Brent Tate, Jerome Ropati and Vatuvei, away.
In days gone by Jones was the only go-to man - now there are a handful so Jones can wait to make his breaks when others are covered.
Fien ran at five-eighths for one quarter. To emphasise the new depth in the halves, there were also good performances from Isaac John at halfback and Liam Foran at five-eighths for the Auckland Vulcans, as they led 16-0 over the Warriors under-20s before winning 48-22.
There was just one downside to the Warriors' game, in that four of the five tries they let in came from simple charges at the line from short distance, just the one to centre Willie Tonga running an angle off hooker Aaron Payne's break engineered with any panache.
Coach Ivan Cleary acknowledged that, but said he was generally happy with the hit-out and a second confidence-building pre-season win, especially given there were no injuries.
"The defence was pretty brittle at times. We had four rookies in the forward pack - they just haven't experienced that speed."
He will test his halves options again against the Gold Coast at Lismore on Saturday as he seeks answers about his starting line-up for the season-opener against Parramatta at Mt Smart on March 14.

Parra

Referee
Will they ride the wave from the New Zealand World Cup win?

You'll need something more than that.

If the Warriors can start a season anything like they can finish one then they could be near the top.

But they are too erratic away from home to take seriously.

Personally I think a definate top 8.

But that is the thing wih the warriors, they could miss the 8, you never know what they'll do.

You and Parra have summed it up perfectly.
The Warriors are the NRL's team most full of unpredictability.
I can see them 1st and 10th at the same time.
If they're consistant, they'll definately be a proper contender, no doubt.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The warriors have been consistent over the past 3 years, but the problem has been that during the first half of the season they've been consistently bad and the second half consistently good.

2006 - Won 4 of first 12 games, went on to miss out on playoffs because of 4 point salary cap deduction.

2007 - Won 4 of first 12 games - Finished 4th. Bundled out in straight games.

2008 - Won 5 of first 12, snuck into 8 and made a real go of it.

A strong start should hopefully (for Warriors fans anyway) see them make the finals easily.

mxlegend99

Referee
I was certain of the Warriors being a top 4 team before the Sonny Fai stuff happened. But there's no way to tell how that will effect the team. Hopefully they use it as motivation to go out there and win the competition. But there's a good chance it could mess with their heads and ruin their chances.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I don't think it will be this year for them. Jones is a year or two out of the game and Fien played great in the world cup and well for the cowboys in the finals a few years ago but between that has been pretty hit or miss. I hope they do do it though- but think there is too much riding on stacey jones.

tiger_nick

Bench
they have the best squad of 25 imo. if they can settle on a halves combination then they are definitely one of top few teams.

mongoose

Coach
What do ya play there in your best Warriors lineup?

6. Fien
7. Jones

6. Moon
7. Fien

6. Ropati
7. Foran

6. Hohaia
7. Jones

There's a million and one choices. I'm not even including other obvious Warriors options there this season.

Lots of combinations doesn't mean any of them will be good though. I would go Jones/Hohaia. Haven't seen much of moon but he didn't look anything special at the broncos.

Noa

First Grade
Not the best looking now theyve given Witty the flick.

Sad,sad day.

Shorty

Staff member
^LOL.

Yeah,they've got it this year though they perform much much better as underdogs and the favourite tag could hamper them(let's be realistic here people who rate Storm or Eagles to get the premiership are lazy).