What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Player You've Seen and Why

^ Pando

retired
For mine, it's Terry Lamb.
I've never seen anyone back up like he did. If he passed you the ball, you'd know he'd be there to get it again.
Such a simple thing to do, but he made an art of it.
All young players should be made to sit down and watch Terry Lamb in action.
Laurie Daley is high on my list as well. A gutsy and intelligent player.
I still cringe thinking of the time he slid over the dead ball line on his knees and hit the underground sprinklers. He was never the same after that.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Johns,

Just a complete footballer... Great leader, great defender, best attacking weapon, awesome kicking game, great step

edabomb

First Grade
Johns just over Daley. Thats from someone who started watching in 1992 so I don't have agreat historical viewpoint. But these 2 are the best I've seen

OVP

Coach
Brad Fittler, Ricky Stuart, Big Mal, Daley, were awesome to watch at their best.

But NONE can compare to Steve Renouf at his best. In terms of forwards, Beetson was a joy to watch because of his offloads.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Meninga, back in the Sieffert oval days. At his prime, Mal was simply poetry to watch.

He really was the backbone of the Raiders in those early years.

axl rose

Bench
OVP said:
Brad Fittler, Ricky Stuart, Big Mal, Daley, were awesome to watch at their best.

But NONE can compare to Steve Renouf at his best. In terms of forwards, Beetson was a joy to watch because of his offloads.

Renouf didnt get involved enough, he was also a weak defender compared to the others you mentioned. He also played in a great side so was made to look alot better then he was.

The real 'Pearl' Hanley was the best ive ever seen

OVP

Coach
axl rose said:
OVP said:

Renouf didnt get involved enough, he was also a weak defender compared to the others you mentioned. He also played in a great side so was made to look alot better then he was.

The real 'Pearl' Hanley was the best ive ever seen

He was a forward

^ Pando

retired
I'd forgotten about E.T.
I remember an interview (can't remember who it was) regarding E.T., and the bloke said that anyone who thought he was just a pretty boy, had obviously never had to tackle him, or be tackled by him.

Johns and lockyer... And to an extent, fittler

They are 3 players i have watched in my era. Although i remember watching the likes of daley, stuart and meninga.. I was only young and just thought they were normal ol footballers.

Big Mick

Referee
Brad Fittler - Best i've seen, bit off the past couple of years, but at his best, was lethal.

Darren Lockyer - Such a natural player, raw ability, courage, great ball skils, finds the gap etc etc etc.

Wally Lewis - Never seen a player read the play like this man could. He would know what to do for the next two tackles and what the opposition would do for those tackles.

Bill Ashcroft - Great player, nuff said.

Greg Alexander - Very underrated halfback, never really got a shot at Rep level, but one of the best i've seen.

Darryl Brohman - Can kick goals from bloody anywhere!, great goalkicker, great player.

Arthur Beetson - Half a game artie, only played for half a game, but by god! what a half it was!

RenoufPhan

Juniors
That is absolute bull****.

When he came into first grade he had some defensive issues (particularly one-one-one). But by the time he was in his prime, he was a brilliant defender.

And how can you say he "didn't get involved enough"? That is a flat out lie - and stinks of someone talking about something they know nothing of. He scored something like 160 1st grade tries (including Rep footy). He holds the record for most tries by a Bronco in a single season (tied with Darren Smith). And on more than one occassion he scored 4 tries in a match (including once again Balmain).

And to play down his ability and value to the team because he played alongside great players is ridiculous. Are you telling me Alfie wasn't a great player because he had the likes of Wlaters, Renouf, Hancock, etc around him?

Talk about ignorance. Give yourself an uppercut.

Edwahu

Bench
Johns is the best all round I have seen. At his peak he was like watching Daley and Stuart combined.

Clyde was the best forward I have seen but injuries stuffed him.

Shifty

Juniors
Terry Lamb
Wally Lewis
Brett Kenny
Darren Lockyer
Peter Sterling

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned Allan Langer yet.

tommytomlin

Bench
Sterlo, Kenny, Lockyer and Freddy.

Sterlo and Kenny were the best pairing I've ever seen. They knew everything about how the other played.

Lockyer is just a magnificent player, a terrific all-rounder.

And Freddy is just the best. Watch him play, watch his eyes dart across the field, watch him lift a team when they're down with a masterful play, watch him get involved in every tackle he can. An excellent leader and a brilliant player.

Latest posts