What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best possible lineup for 2017

Which teams will be best for developing the game internationally?

My selection:

Australia *
New Zealand *
England *

France *

Italy
Ireland
Wales
Scotland

PNG *

Tonga
Samoa
Fiji

Lebanon *
USA *

* = countries which have a strong domestic competitiion

Burns

First Grade
Hmm, that's all pretty hard to argue against. Only change from 2013 would be Lebanon in for Cook Islands right?

Part of me would prefer Canada to make it. No idea why.

paulmac

Juniors
I would love Serbia, Lebanon and Canada to qualify as a reward for the hard work these nations have put in on the ground.Do teams still have to get full membership of the RLIF to qualify?

LeaguePlayer

Juniors
As much as I have been a supporter of the USARL and all they've done I have to say I'd like to see Canada make it.

adamkungl

Immortal
PNG, France, Wales, and Scotland need to step up.

At the next level
Italy
Lebanon
USA

seem most promising

PaulyTom

Juniors
By time of the world cup PNG will have a decent team made up of prominently PNG born players. The Hunters have made the perfect gateway for players to get selected by NRL teams.

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
Spain's development in the sport in such a short period of time is an amazing achievement and I wouldn't even mind seeing them playing in the WC.. They'd be the surprise story of world rugby league even world sport!

bowes

Juniors
Which teams will be best for developing the game internationally?

My selection:

Australia *
New Zealand *
England *

France *

Italy
Ireland
Wales
Scotland

PNG *

Tonga
Samoa
Fiji

Lebanon *
USA *

* = countries which have a strong domestic competitiion
Fiji have a stronger domestic set up than Lebanon and more sides than USA also. Wales are ahead of Lebanon if you include the sides playing in England. Scotland are the real weak link in terms of domestic development of the sides listed

Nuke

Staff member
Spain's development in the sport in such a short period of time is an amazing achievement and I wouldn't even mind seeing them playing in the WC.. They'd be the surprise story of world rugby league even world sport!

I'd personally love to see Spain in the RLWC. I can't see it happening for 2017 (as much as I'd love to see that too), and that's probably for the best. Really, getting beaten by 100+ by Australia or 60+ by, say, Tonga, can't be good for morale. Plus the cost of getting them down here to get wholloped would be an awful lot and probably money they'd be better off spending on their own comp for another 4yrs when the RLWC will (likely) be in the northern hemisphere again (therefore cheaper for them to travel there + another 4yrs worth of experience and development).

I'd love to see them in there next RLWC as I've had a little bit to do with them, but I just can't see it happening yet.

maccattack

Juniors
I'd personally love to see Spain in the RLWC. I can't see it happening for 2017 (as much as I'd love to see that too), and that's probably for the best. Really, getting beaten by 100+ by Australia or 60+ by, say, Tonga, can't be good for morale. Plus the cost of getting them down here to get wholloped would be an awful lot and probably money they'd be better off spending on their own comp for another 4yrs when the RLWC will (likely) be in the northern hemisphere again (therefore cheaper for them to travel there + another 4yrs worth of experience and development).

I'd love to see them in there next RLWC as I've had a little bit to do with them, but I just can't see it happening yet.

Agree. They are doing great work there and have huge potential but not ready yet.

docbrown

Coach
So looking at the qualifying matches etc:

1. Australia - hosts
2. New Zealand - hosts
3. Papua New Guinea - hosts
4. England - auto from 2013
5. Fiji - auto from 2013
6. France - auto from 2013
7. Samoa - auto from 2013
8. Scotland - auto from 2013
9. Tonga - Pacific Qualifier (beat Cook Islands)
10.Lebanon - Middle East/Africa Qualifier (bt South Africa)

Lebanon back in the mix for a second appearance is quite interesting. I'd say with the right promotion they could generate decent crowds here. If anything I'd argue that giving so many automatic qualifiers robs from the lead up a bit.

4 spots left

11. Wales - Euro Group A
12. Ireland - Euro Group B

Nothing too unexpected in that but you never know. All depends which squad shows up on the day.

So it will likely be either Serbia or Italy vs Russia or Spain for the Euro Play Off. Stacked with expats then Italy is likely but I'll throw caution to the wind and say:

13. Serbia - Euro Play Off

Any way it ends up though this 13th spot will bring an interesting flavour to the tournament and most likely to throw in a newcomer.

So that leaves the final spot

14. USA - America (who would have been there anyhow)

If the Top 3 keep jostling, joint hosting plus matches in PNG and maybe also Fiji and better scheduling that targets local immigrant communities, I reckon they could put a couple of hundred thousand more than the last tournament attendance.

milton

Juniors
I have a feeling that the Jamaicans will make it. They have a stronger looking squad with a large number playing at a higher standard then the US and Canada

Sinman

Juniors
Yeah having Jamaica there would be good to follow.. I don't think you can lose whoever comes in from the America's... I'd rather Serbia, Russia or Spain instead of Italy simply because Italy ended up being Australia C at the last world cup and I'd like to see one of those other nations that are developing domestically be rewarded..

Last Week

Bench
Russia would be fantastic to get in. They do have an interest in League. Didn't they get over 10'000 to one of their grand finals years ago before Union got in and killed it?

SJR

Juniors
With Lebanon in the organisers should be able to attract some good crowds for their games.

Would love to see Canada make it. Even love their name the Wolverines.

I think Serbia and Spain are probably the two countries with the best development over the last two or three years. It would be good if Serbia could qualify I don't think Spain is quite up to that standard yet. But if you had have said 12 or 18 months ago that Spain would make the final European RLWC qualifiers, you would have been laughed at.

Springs

First Grade
My ideal teams would be:

Pool A - Australia, England, France, Tonga
Pool B - New Zealand, Samoa, Fiji, Wales
Pool C - Papua New Guinea, Italy, Lebanon
Pool D - Scotland, Ireland, USA/Canada

The Partisan

Yes as the anniversary of one John Lennon's passing has been recently observed....

...' All.. we are say..ing,... is give France a chance'

Latest posts