What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Premiers in the last 16 years?

mozza91

Coach
Roosters 2013 were a great side on both sides of the ball. I’d have them 1st with a few different Melbourne sides in 07 and 17 not far off.

Chippy73

Bench
Great, that qualifies us as Warriors fans.

I say Manly 2008 too. 38-6, 32-6 and 40-0 in the finals series. Smashed an incompliant side in a GF record score, and to zero no less. There just hasn't ever been dominance like that in the modern era.
haha yeh Manly do still owe the Warriors a big favour for making Melbourne take the long road to the 2008 GF (and lose C Smith to suspension in the process)

TheDalek079

Bench
Some great teams in there. With the closeness in the quality of teams, I think it would come down to mental toughness, so IMO that is either 2019 Easts or one of the storm premierships

Hutty1986

Immortal
Being minor premiers is cursed.
for that reason the Dragons of 2010 would be up there although that year the Storm lost all their points
They were rightfully stripped of points, for systematic and blatant cheating, yes. So justice, and not too sure why it's worth mentioning.

Iamback

Coach
They were rightfully stripped of points, for systematic and blatant cheating, yes. So justice, and not too sure why it's worth mentioning.

Worth mentioning because they would of been top 4. Throws up different finals matchups and who knows if the same results

GongPanther

Referee
I meant the irony of it following what the Panthers did in real life this year, losing to the Rabbits then getting them in the GF.
That is what I thought you meant. And Easts did it as well, and I'm sure there are other instances.

Iamback

Coach
Not really the dragons fault the storm weren't allowed to play for points.

They would have won anyway with that brick wall defence.

If you are rating GF winners all that needs to come into it.
Like 2016 onwards has been ordinary quality. Can't really put any of them into it
The Storm being cheats ruined several years
The lack of Minor Premiers having not won the comp also weakens the field

But given they lost the Minor premiership on 4 and against. Then beat the cheats 40-0 in the GF the Manly side of 2008 gets it for me

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Lol 08 Manly are the bradburys of the 21st century GF winners.

2020 Storm are by far the best premiers. Completely dominated the comp while based away from home for the whole year.

The last 2 years have been very weak in quality. Neither are in the same ball park as early to mid 00 sides

Munky

Coach
Does anyone have any idea at what point in recent history analytics became a major part of game plans of well coached teams?

If analysis shows a centre/winger getting caught in no mans land over fifty percent of the time why would you even attempt any other plays in attack?