What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best radio coverage

T-Boon

Coach
Which station does the best coverage of games?
I am going to start listening rather than watching and I have not really listened to RL since the early 90s when that was the best/only way to follow the game. I recall that is also when I most loved the game.
What I am looking for in radio coverage is decent analysis but also a broadcaster that does not complain about the referees and decisions all the time which is one of the reasons I am not going to be watching games on TV as much.
Any opinions on best radio with least ref blaming?

In Sydney, Triple M are not bad. Only problem can be that due to contractual arrangements, if there is a clash between the NRL and a Sydney Swans game, they will broadcast the Swans game and you can only get the NRL call by listening online.

T-Boon

Coach
thanks I'll give tripe M a listen. If its not for me Ill try ABC but I remember being over there ref whinging.

Dodgy

Juniors
I have no other coverage to compare it to. But Brenton Speed was good on NRL Nation (Macquarie Sports) coverage.

axl rose

Bench
Which station does the best coverage of games?
I am going to start listening rather than watching and I have not really listened to RL since the early 90s when that was the best/only way to follow the game. I recall that is also when I most loved the game.

Unless you are traveling in vehicle you will likely want to go back to watching within a game. Bit of nostalgia is nice, but it has not aged well. Though ABC always did a fine job back in the day.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Is Matt Elliott still on ABC this year? Listened for the first time on Sunday and it was Moore, Halatau and Heighington.

Elliot and Moore's chemistry is just incredible.

Incorrect

Coach
Is Matt Elliott still on ABC this year? Listened for the first time on Sunday and it was Moore, Halatau and Heighington.

Elliot and Moore's chemistry is just incredible.
Elliott will only be involved in a reduced capacity as he is pursuing some business opportunities which prevent him being able to devote enough time to the coverage. That's what Moore has communicated so far this season anyway...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
ABC do a great job because chances are you'll hear a game live no matter what. With Triple M I definitely like listening to them but switch it over if theyre doing the AFL.

I always like hearing Andrew Moore, Dan Ginnane and Anthony Maroon as callers.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Elliott will only be involved in a reduced capacity as he is pursuing some business opportunities which prevent him being able to devote enough time to the coverage. That's what Moore has communicated so far this season anyway...

That's really disappointing but hope it goes well for him. Just liked having a coaches perspective on the show and someone who was very honest about it

Incorrect

Coach
Someone needs to get Luke Lewis a thesaurus so that he can start using something other than the word "outstanding" when describing any player who does something remotely good...

Incorrect

Coach
Craig Hamilton apparently will no longer be calling NRL matches on ABC in 2020. Some BS reason given about "nationalising" their coverage or some other buzzword was used.... Shame, I like Hammo. He's synonymous with broadcasts from Newcastle.... No word yet on who is in the frame to replace him...

Stallion

First Grade
On Sky Radio. European /English based correspondent Jacqueline Magnate continually ignores rugby league to an extent which is predictable and unfair. This journo gets a weekly spot on the BSB radio programme and never refers to rugby league tournaments yet gives other codes like union consistent airtime. Given that high profile rugby league people are involved with England rugby league like Wayne Bennett and the imminent move by NRL star Maloney to the French Catalans team seems worthy enough content to at least give a mention. As it is absolutely no mention and continued referring to other codes. No.balance in this journos content that's for sure! All to the detriment of rugby-league.

Last edited:
On Sky Radio. European /English based correspondent Jacqueline Magnate continually ignores rugby league to an extent which is predictable and unfair. This journo gets a weekly spot on the BSB radio programme and never refers to rugby league tournaments yet gives other codes like union consistent airtime. Given that high profile rugby league people are involved with England rugby league like Wayne Bennett and the imminent move by NRL star Maloney to the French Catalans team seems worthy enough content to at least give a mention. As it is absolutely no mention and continued referring to other codes. No.balance in this journos content that's for sure! All to the detriment of rugby-league.

Yes but rugby league is mostly only popular in the north of England. Most of the media there are concentrated in the south of England especially London. As such even the English media often ignore rugby league and give union more coverage at club level than it often deserves.

I'm not saying its right it should happen, just why it does is all.