What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Young midfield player in the AFL?

aqua_duck

Coach
Who do you think is the best young midfield player in the AFL?
There's been heaps of young midfield on ballers who have been drafted very high in the past few years, like Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd, etc.
When one talks about young midfield players who automatically look at St Kilda but in my opinion I think the best young midfielder in Daniel Kerr from the eagles. What do you guys think?

CyberKev

Staff member
G'Day aqua_duck

Its nice to have you posting here.

I guess it depends on two things - a) what do we classify as young? and b) what do we really mean by midfielder?

I think Kerr is a quality player and would clearly count as young in the pure age sense, but he has been around for 3 seasons now and has played more games than the likes of Hodge and Ball. It need also be noted that he hasn't had the extensive injury woes suffered by the latter two players.

The second issue doesn't get enough attention. To me, a player like Judd is more of a free running winger, while players like Hodge and Ball either are, or will be, in and under centre players. I think there is a big difference between wing play and centre play, even though both positions are classifed as midfield positions.

Kerr would be a fine acquisition for any side, but at the moment I would probably classify hard-at-it Tiger youngster, Mark Coughlan, as the numero uno young centreman in the game.

Ball and Hodge will be bloody awesome in future years though, with the former already impressing out of the centre, whilst Hodge has been played largely as a floating half back until he obtains extra experience and maximum fitness.

CyberKev

aqua_duck

Coach
I guess you also have to consider potential, in the sense that maybe some players reach their potential earlier than others, also consistency is another factor that can be linked with experience. In terms of potential I think Chris Judd is clearly the best, because on his day he can tear a team to shreds on his own(just ask the Lions), some players have raw potential but you look at players like Coughlan and Kerr for example who are young but have been around for abit longer, they're more mature and better all round players. What I particularly like about Daniel Kerr is his style, he's so smooth and reeks of class. In the West Australian derby last week, the eagles lost but Kerr was still probably the best player on the field, and proved much too good for Shaun McManus on quite a few occasions one on one.

Rustay

Juniors
JUDD!!! Yeah!

As an Eagles supporter i am biased but i think Chris is the best. His game against Brisbane was awesome. Maybe a little inconsistent atm, but he is my favourite player so... GO JUDD!

I also met this HOT chick here in Perth who said she had "got to know him"... if you know what i mean ;-). At first i was sceptical, but then thought, why would she need to make that up to a complete stranger. So on that point GO JUDD again! hahah

meltiger

First Grade
You're all forgetting a certain player from Richmond who managed to poll 16 votes in the Brownlow in a team that only won 7 games this year.... including 2 BOG's in losing teams.

I may be a little biased towards my mighty Tigers but Kev, even you have to admit, to only fall short of the winners by 6 votes in that Richmond side is a fair effort. :)

CyberKev

Staff member
CyberKev said:
(Sept 1, 2003)
Kerr would be a fine acquisition for any side, but at the moment I would probably classify hard-at-it Tiger youngster, Mark Coughlan, as the numero uno young centreman in the game.

Meltiger said:
(Sept 28, 2003) I may be a little biased towards my mighty Tigers but Kev, even you have to admit, to only fall short of the winners by 6 votes in that Richmond side is a fair effort.

Of course you're a biased git, Craig, but even prejudiced people can get it right on occasion :lol:

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
CyberKev said:
(Sept 1, 2003)

Meltiger said:
(Sept 28, 2003) I may be a little biased towards my mighty Tigers but Kev, even you have to admit, to only fall short of the winners by 6 votes in that Richmond side is a fair effort.

Of course you're a biased git, Craig, but even prejudiced people can get it right on occasion :lol:

LOL!!

I must have been in shock to see you praising a Richmond player ;-)

What a moron :oops:

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
LOL!!

I must have been in shock to see you praising a Richmond player ;-)

What a moron :oops:

Hey, I even put the Tigers theme song at number one in the other thread. That would have got me barred from cake & cordial functions held by the Hawk cheersquad if they didn't already loathe me as it is. Talk about sensitive souls, all I did was go onto the Hawk headquarters discussion forum a couple of years back and call for the heads of Luke McCabe & Rayden Tallis on a platter (I was a 100% correct on that call, as per usual) and they acted as if I was the most treacherous dog of alltime. Sometimes I worry that its player groupies like the Hawk "inner sanctum" tragics that are running recruitment at the club...

You know I've got a big soft & Gooey spot for the Tigers...

Except for when the Hawks are playing 'em, of course, as then I just want to see them pulped into a big soft & gooey spot!

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
You know I've got a big soft & Gooey spot for the Tigers...CyberKev

lol

No i know you love to bag my mighty Tigers, everyones just scared of how big a successful Richmond could be :)

Unfortunately, it appears that Wallace may be on his way to Tigerland... If that happens the resurgence is going to be much further in the distance than I hoped.

A Wirrupunda for Richo trade would be a good start though (Yes wishful thinking ;-) )

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Unfortunately, it appears that Wallace may be on his way to Tigerland... If that happens the resurgence is going to be much further in the distance than I hoped.

A Wirrupunda for Richo trade would be a good start though (Yes wishful thinking ;-)

Wallace? As in Terry 'Plough' Wallace? Where'd you hear this?

I think Plough would improve upon things as I was impressed with what he was able to do early on with a tumultously talentless list at the Hounds.

Yeah, Richo is shot to the sheissenhausen and Wirrupunda would be a handy pick-up. The Eagles have more than enough of his type of fancy footballer and not enough talls, but I doubt Worsfold would go for a wounded fallen idol in his dotage.

I'm wondering if there is an uncontracted player that the Tigers aren't interested in throwing money at? Nothing wrong with having a dip, but it should make for an intriguing trade week.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
No i know you love to s**g my mighty Tigers, everyones just scared of how big a successful Richmond could be :)

Actually,

Generation X & Y are totally oblivious to the mere prospect of putting the words 'big', 'successful' & 'Richmond' in the same oxymoronic sentence.

The Tiger players should've been used in the shampoo commercial instead of the Magpies... "It won't happen over a quarter of a century - but it will happen!"

As a total aside... Could that commercial be seen as something of a jinx? Both Collingwood and the Punky Brewsters did them and both got coffee scrolled in the big one...

The truth is out there, but I'm not sure that we need (much less want) to hear it :D

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
meltiger said:
No i know you love to s**g my mighty Tigers, everyones just scared of how big a successful Richmond could be :)

Actually,

Generation X & Y are totally oblivious to the mere prospect of putting the words 'big', 'successful' & 'Richmond' in the same oxymoronic sentence.

CyberKev

LOL!!!

It will happen my friend :) Just as soon as they offload some of the crap that tears the club apart 7 has done even since 1995.

PB

Bench
Schnider is the next Cresswell!

(oh, i consider that a god thing to by the way ;-) )

Stormin Norman

Juniors
Judd atm by far he has only played 2 seasons. ball will be thats y st kilda took him ahead of judd and hawthorn have drawn the short straw in getting hodge when they could of had either of the other 2 but he still goes alright maybe he's going to be another travis jonstone all the patenional but never to fafill it.