What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bets open with vote of no confidence in Raiders

aussies1st

Staff member
I found thbis in the SMH herald.

Canberra are more likely to finish last this season than make a third consecutive finals appearance, according to the first full NRL betting market of the year released yesterday by SportsTab.

Despite making the top four in 2003 and finishing eighth last season, the Raiders ($6.50) have been lumped with South Sydney ($2.10), Wests Tigers ($5) and Manly ($5.50) as favourites for the wooden spoon.

How did we become worse than the rabbitohs and manly in one year. Just wait to we get out on the field that will show them.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
damn...

Im not sure how betting works and etc..just wondering could you bet that the raiders will finish in the 8? or is it only 1st or last?

RaidersMalt

Juniors
Yes, you can bet on the Raiders winning the comp, or making the top 4, making the top 8, missing the top 8 or coming last.

BTW wouldn't this be our 4th consecutive finals appearance?
2002 - 8th
2003 - 4th
2004 - 8th

mike83au

Juniors
I must admit, the latest odds in the betting have me feeling a little worried.

Only because I don't know what the season ahead of us holds. I can see us exceeding everybody's expectations and finishing really high up, or I can see us having a bad year and finishing where all the outsiders expect us to finish.

I dunno.... it's just that if you hear enough times that the Raiders aren't gonna do well, you start to beleive them....

Hopefully we prove them wrong.

Raider Azz

Bench
How did we become worse than the rabbitohs and manly in one year. Just wait to we get out on the field that will show them.
Actually, we're not worse than Manly and the Rabbitohs, because their price is lower, indicating that you win less if you bet them for the spoon, if you know what I mean. But your point still stays the same. ;-)

f**k the betting odds, Im confident if Smith can stay fit, and with the likes of frawley and withers now here aswell as carney, campese (if he gets any time) we can make not only the top 8 but the top 4 aswell, f**k sports tab, rofl.

DJ Raida

Bench
2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
wernt we in the finals all those years?

im not 100@ about 2001 though

Raider_69

Post Whore
missed it in 01
got in on 02 thanks to the cap scandle
4th in 03
8th in 05

i agree with thickos, i got alot of cash that i need to retrieve from the TAB so this will go along way to making that possible

skeepe

Immortal
These odds don't worry me. To be honest, I get more worried these days when punters do believe in us.

Panjabi

Juniors
The following are our prices from Sports TAB.

NRL 2005 Grand Final Winner
$67.00

NRL 2005 Minor Premiership
$151

NRL 2005 Top 4 (Rds 1-26)
$11

NRL 2005 Top 8 (Rds 1-26)
$3

NRL 2005 Wooden Spoon
$6.50

There's nothing really there that i would consider as a safe bet, sure finishing in the top 8 is a realistic goal, but $3 return is not worth waiting 26 weeks for the result. You can make more money by doing an accumulator bet on a week to week basis. I don't think we will finish in the top 4 this year, but $11 are juicy odds and is probably the best long shot bet.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
missed it in 01
4th in 03
8th in 05

i agree with thickos, i got alot of cash that i need to retrieve from the TAB so this will go along way to making that possible

In 2001 we beat 7 of the top 8 sides, figure that out.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raiders Plight said:
Raider_69 said:
missed it in 01
4th in 03
8th in 05

didnt we put a thrashing on the Eels that year?

pffft...odds. Who reads them? I remember in 03 we were picked to come 11th, last year we were picked to come 13th....i laugh at odds :lol:

woodgers

Bench
Bang on Schif. The TAB seems to be a constant source of humour. I reckon that if I picked their weekly favourites last season I would have finished even lower on the footy tip table than I did.

I love this, I really do. It is great because the players, while not allowed to bet do look at the odds. A lot of other NRL players will be doing the same as the experts and writing us off. I think the safest bet is that Matthew Elliott has or will show these prices to his side. Nothing like a little psycology to rev up a team.

Raider_69 said:
Raiders Plight said:
Raider_69 said:
missed it in 01
4th in 03
8th in 05

didnt we put a thrashing on the Eels that year?

Didn't we belt the doggies 32-0 away from home aswell?

thickos

First Grade
Sure did. Pounded the Broncos in Brisbane 40-18 as well. And knocked off the Roosters 32-22 in the memorable game where Toots played with a busted knee because we had no bench left. :clap: