What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big game for Big Larry

roopy

Referee
Big Larry might be one of the guys playing their last game in Knights colours in the Flegg finals.
He seems to be behind half a dozen young guys who will demand a go in PL for next season (Snowden, Ling, Paterson, Laban, Natusch, Hlad) - and he is too old for Flegg next season I think.
Two years ago I thought he was our best prospect - but he hasn't really improved at all in those two years.
Having said that - he will be playing the biggest game of his life - he may be playing for a start at another club - or he may be just playing for a memory to last a lifetime.
He is not alone. The future for Sam Wooden, Stephen Gordon and Scott Dureau could go either way after this game.
These guys will have big games.

Big Larry will stay... no club in their right mind will get rid of a bloke that runs the ball like he does. His game against the Dragons had "Sonny Bill" written all over it... cruising wide, freeing the arm for the offload, the whole bit.

Wooden, Dureau and Gordon will all be playing PL next year... I just hope that they are all playing PL for us.

roopy

Referee
Rip Taylor is coaching Parra PL next season.
He has about a 30 year history of players following him from club to club just to play under him - so don't be surprized if a few of the guys we can't find a place for end up in yellow and blue.

Ben

Bench
roopy said:
Rip Taylor is coaching Parra PL next season.
He has about a 30 year history of players following him from club to club just to play under him - so don't be surprized if a few of the guys we can't find a place for end up in yellow and blue.
This is what i mainly fear. I just don't want instances where quality juniors and future first graders will follow Taylor to Parramatta just so they are coached by him. We are probably going to lose some juniors but we have to ensure that the better prospects are kept safe.

roopy

Referee
Flange said:
Hlad may be gone, but not to Parra.
I hope he gets a run with someone good. He is a hardworking guy - and i like to see that sort of player get rewarded.

roopy

Referee
macavity said:
why the hell did we let Rip Taylor go. I just dont understand.
In the end it could be a positive.
He is going to be a full time coach of a senior side at parra - after being a part time coach of a flegg side here.
A year or three at Parra and he will have the experience in the big time to be a serious candidate to be our next firstgrade coach - and that would be a great thing.

roopy said:
In the end it could be a positive.
He is going to be a full time coach of a senior side at parra - after being a part time coach of a flegg side here.
A year or three at Parra and he will have the experience in the big time to be a serious candidate to be our next firstgrade coach - and that would be a great thing.

Agreed.

If we have to lose Rip for a few years in order to have him as our next FG coach, then I say "good luck and Parra and hurry back".

I sat within earshot of the bench for our Fleeg semi last week and the respect and awe in which Rip is held by his players is at a level to which all coaches should aspire. His boys would run through walls for him. I reckon he would make a brilliant NRL coach.

macavity

Referee
I reckon he would make a brilliant NRL coach

yes, and if he is at Parra, he is more chance of making it there than here.

I cant see any positive. Why wasn't he offered the PL gig here.

Swampy

Juniors
Rip Taylors coaching methods went out about the same time as the dinosaurs.
Now as far as being a NRL coach you've got to be cracking jokes.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
The_Joey_Show said:
Agreed.

If we have to lose Rip for a few years in order to have him as our next FG coach, then I say "good luck and Parra and hurry back".

I sat within earshot of the bench for our Fleeg semi last week and the respect and awe in which Rip is held by his players is at a level to which all coaches should aspire. His boys would run through walls for him. I reckon he would make a brilliant NRL coach.

my god he was scary wasnt he!!

aqua_duck

Coach
Big Larry has a heap of talent but he probably needs a summer training with the big boys just so he can see what kind of dedication is required etc, he reminds me abit of the old Anthony Tupou

Swampy

Juniors
aqua_duck Larry knows what it takes.The problem being as is the same with other players is how the club treats them and with no explanations even by the great man "Rip Taylor".You have got to be in the clique otherwise no hope.

Swampy said:
Rip Taylors coaching methods went out about the same time as the dinosaurs.
Now as far as being a NRL coach you've got to be cracking jokes.

Let me guess... if he wasn't a first grade coach, you'd say the same about Wayne Bennett, wouldn't you??

aqua_duck

Coach
Swampy said:
aqua_duck Larry knows what it takes.The problem being as is the same with other players is how the club treats them and with no explanations even by the great man "Rip Taylor".You have got to be in the clique otherwise no hope.
I think there's a difference between knowing what it takes, or being told it and actually seeing it first hand.

Swampy

Juniors
Ok.The_Joey_Show me and you are going to take a little journey back in time.Way back.Now wait for the mist to clear.Thats it.Now lets turn our gaze up into the trees tops.And swinging thru the branches and picking the nits off one another who do we see?Of course it's Wayne and Rip.

Now lets return to the present time.Our gaze is averted to ground level and who do we see?It's Wayne fully evolved and nit free.But hang on minute where is Rip?Then something draws our attention to the tree tops.And who do we see still amongst the branches?Poor ole Rip picking his own nits.

In other words what I'm trying to say is one of them has evolved and when
required has moved with the times instead of being stuck in a time warp.

Now I don't want to go compareing there respective coaching records because in the fair dinkum stakes its a non event.

aqua_duck Larry new what was needed without being told as was confirmed by Scott Dickenson (spelling) in an article earlier in the year in the NH when he nominated Larry as being among the top pre season trainers.One thing that I can assure you.Larry put the effort in but wasn't given the encouragement.

Doctor

Bench
Had a good game Big Larry. Cheers to Aqua_Duck for letting me know who he was -- I suppose I have the benefit of not having pre-conceived ideas about who is good and who isn't. What I saw from Larry was good -- I'd like to think we can look to keep him.

roopy

Referee
Oswin said:
Had a good game Big Larry. Cheers to Aqua_Duck for letting me know who he was -- I suppose I have the benefit of not having pre-conceived ideas about who is good and who isn't. What I saw from Larry was good -- I'd like to think we can look to keep him.
The thing i don't like about Larry is I saw him for the first time three years ago. He came off the bench and did half a dozen big and damaging runs in SG Ball and I thought he was a potential firstgrader of the future if i ever saw one - but i can honestly say he hasn't improved noticably in those three years. He is still a huge guy who comes off the bench and is just good for 5 or 6 runs and a dozen tackles.

Latest posts