What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big League 2006 season review

Wade Mckinnon (Keep him. Reddy would be an awesome replacement, but Wade has earnt the right to keep his spot)

Aaron Cannings (TBH, a disappointing signing. I'd like to keep him if we could, wouldn't cry if we didn't)

Ben Smith (Keeper 100%)

Dean Widders (Keeper 100%)

Paul Stringer (Depends what he wants - short term for decent money? If so, Keeper 100%)

Ashley Graham (You gotta let someone go........)

John Morris (Keep him. If he doesn't play 5/8 he can still play almost anywhere else on the park and we don't have another like him)

Matt Petersen * ( :( )

Luke O'Dwyer * ( I'm glad he's going. Not because I wanna get rid of him, but becase GC needs some good up and coming local players to make a good team and I think OD fits the bill perfectly)

Luke Burt (Keeper 100% - First of all he is a good player, but 2ndly he deserves the loyalty that he has shown us)

Brett Delaney (Obviously a Keeper)

Henrey Perenara (needs to prove himself)

Adam Peek (See Stringer)

Fui Fui Moi Moi (Keeper 100%)

Jack Afamasaga (see HP)

Chad Robinson (was great to see Chad back home would hate for it to be such a short stay)

Jamie Lyon (roflmfao - as if. he can rot in hell)

bartman

Immortal
I'd re-sign as a priority:
Ben Smith - 3 years
Brett Delaney - assuming he comes on OK in the early stages of this season

I'd make offers to:
one of Dean Widders or John Morris - don't think we'll need both in the future
one of Luke Burt or Ashley Graham - don't think we'll need both in the future
one of Paul Stringer or Adam Peek - I expect at least one of them might retire at the end of the season? Keep the one that doesn't for another year.
Fui Fui Moi Moi - another year, maybe two if cheap and if he stops getting suspended
Wade Mckinnon - another year if he shows good form early on, maybe two
Chad Robinson - another year or two if early form is good
one of Henry Perenara or Jack Afamasaga - don't think we'll need both in the future
Aaron Cannings - at a vastly reduced rate, unless something changes

I'd farewell:
Jamie Lyon (contract being paid for by St Helens anyway)
Matt Petersen (Gold Coast)
Luke O'Dwyer (Gold Coast)
John Morris - assuming we re-sign Deano Widders
one of Ash Graham or Luke Burt - whoever's form is worse at negotiation time
one of Jack Afamasaga or Henry Perenara - whoever's form is worse at negotiation time
one of Paul Stringer or Adam Peek - whoever doesn't want to go around again, pending injuries, age, form etc

This would give us some spare coin to upgrade some promising players contracts, and to dip into the player market for some fresh blood that the new coach will probably want to introduce?

I thought Wags was off contract at the end of this year, and Vella too?

shaun

Juniors
Would be interesting to know how many PL and JF players are off contract inparticular players like Inu, Farraw, Hauraki.

I wonder if these off contract players will lift their game around may/june. Last year players like Wagon, Morris, Vella really played well at that time and were resigned. Probably would have been resigned anyway.

Id prioritise Moi Moi, Widders, Smith, Delaney and Mckinnon. Im a big fan of Cannings but its time for him to make a stronger impact this season.

Id let go Graham as dont think hes good enough for our PL team, Peek and Afamasaga as not going to improve our team greatly. The others like Robinson and Burt i hope they keep but not bothered too much.

I think we have so much depth that we'll cope with some losses.

Eelementary

Post Whore
eloquentEEL said:
If BS wants a super motivated team for round 1 he should go in with:

1. McKinnon
2. Burt
3. Benny
4. Delaney
5. Graham
6. Widders
7. Timmy
8. Cannings
9. Henry
10.Stringer
11.Afamasaga
12.Peek
13.Robinson

Note: This is made up of the available players off contract (ie. interested in impressing Hagan in round 1) plus Timmy (interested in proving that he won't suffer 2nd year syndrome and proving it against his childhood idol)

I know it's a hypothetical....But we would get CREAMED by the Knights forward pack!

The backline is OK, though - only Graham is a weak link (he's not as quick as he once was).

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hollywood Jesus said:
Wade Mckinnon (Keep him. Reddy would be an awesome replacement, but Wade has earnt the right to keep his spot)

Aaron Cannings (TBH, a disappointing signing. I'd like to keep him if we could, wouldn't cry if we didn't)

Ben Smith (Keeper 100%)

Dean Widders (Keeper 100%)

Paul Stringer (Depends what he wants - short term for decent money? If so, Keeper 100%)

Ashley Graham (You gotta let someone go........)

John Morris (Keep him. If he doesn't play 5/8 he can still play almost anywhere else on the park and we don't have another like him)

Matt Petersen * ( :( )

Luke O'Dwyer * ( I'm glad he's going. Not because I wanna get rid of him, but becase GC needs some good up and coming local players to make a good team and I think OD fits the bill perfectly)

Luke Burt (Keeper 100% - First of all he is a good player, but 2ndly he deserves the loyalty that he has shown us)

Brett Delaney (Obviously a Keeper)

Henrey Perenara (needs to prove himself)

Adam Peek (See Stringer)

Fui Fui Moi Moi (Keeper 100%)

Jack Afamasaga (see HP)

Chad Robinson (was great to see Chad back home would hate for it to be such a short stay)

Jamie Lyon (roflmfao - as if. he can rot in hell)

I agree with everything!

Except, perhaps, the anlaysis on Lyon...I dislike how he treated his mates and teammates...But damn it, he is such a bloody talented bastard!

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I know it's a hypothetical....But we would get CREAMED by the Knights forward pack!

The backline is OK, though - only Graham is a weak link (he's not as quick as he once was).

didn't say anything about it being a strong team... just a motivated one ;-)

WA Eel

Juniors
I'd reserve judgement on Graham until the end of the year. I know a lot of people are very disappointed with his recent form, but his form at fullback in 2003 was some of the best fullback play I can remember at this club for quite a while (better than McKinnon in 2004 in my own opinion).

If he performs in 2006, I'd keep him, if he doesn't, then he's had enough chances (3 years) to come back from that broken leg and we can probably say he's never going to be the same player again.

Eelementary

Post Whore
WA Eel said:
I'd reserve judgement on Graham until the end of the year. I know a lot of people are very disappointed with his recent form, but his form at fullback in 2003 was some of the best fullback play I can remember at this club for quite a while (better than McKinnon in 2004 in my own opinion).

If he performs in 2006, I'd keep him, if he doesn't, then he's had enough chances (3 years) to come back from that broken leg and we can probably say he's never going to be the same player again.

I totally agree - he was superb in 2003, but hasn't quite been the same...

Utey

Coach
Eelementary said:
I totally agree - he was superb in 2003, but hasn't quite been the same...

Rewatch 2003. He was solid in a sh*thouse team.

Looks to have regained pace though.

Latest posts