What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big League

steven_tiger

Juniors
Does anyone know when the Season Preview comes out?

I know it's due in February sometime, but don't have an exact date.

Also, does anyone else subscribe?

I received one for Christmas this year and got told the first issue I get sent is Round 1, plus there is no guarantee I will get the mags by the weekend...
angry.gif
Man I'll be peeved if that happens.

Stagger eel

Staff member
steven_tiger said:

I received one for Christmas this year and got told the first issue I get sent is Round 1, plus there is no guarantee I will get the mags by the weekend...
angry.gif

it's a difficult situation because clubs need to post their sides by about 4pm Tuesday to have them ready for delivery across NSW, QLD, Victoria and NZ by the crack of Dawn Thursday..

The problem with subsribers is that need them to be ready sent out to a mail house and then sent to Australia Post by the end of the week where they're distrubuted across the country :crazy: :crazy:

I don't think it's possible that you will get it by Friday...if that's the case why would you bother offering the service?? :?

aarondoyle

Juniors
I had a subscription a few years ago (I won it in a competition!). I didn't get a single mag before the weekend. I'd always get it the Monday. It was so pointless.

Great mag... but so pointless come the monday.

HevyDevy

Coach
eelavation said:
it's a difficult situation because clubs need to post their sides by about 4pm Tuesday to have them ready for delivery across NSW, QLD, Victoria and NZ by the crack of Dawn Thursday..

The problem with subsribers is that need them to be ready sent out to a mail house and then sent to Australia Post by the end of the week where they're distrubuted across the country :crazy: :crazy:

I don't think it's possible that you will get it by Friday...if that's the case why would you bother offering the service?? :?

Some clubs absolutely refuse to abide by those rules which regularly means Big League misses deadline by an hour or two.

When that happens the printers will often push it back in the queue to meet the deadlines of other publications that are booked in.

So the real effect is that BL will often go to print five or six hours after it was supposed to.
It then misses mail runs and on a bad week will be delivered late because of this.

Just so you know ...

Stagger eel

Staff member
aarondoyle said:
I had a subscription a few years ago (I won it in a competition!). I didn't get a single mag before the weekend. I'd always get it the Monday. It was so pointless.

Great mag... but so pointless come the monday.

well there you go...you're right it is pointless.

wouldn't it be better if they offered the customer a credit system so that you can purchase them from any Newsagent before the weekend?

Stagger eel

Staff member
HevyDevy said:
Some clubs absolutely refuse to abide by those rules which regularly means Big League misses deadline by an hour or two.

When that happens the printers will often push it back in the queue to meet the deadlines of other publications that are booked in.

So the real effect is that BL will often go to print five or six hours after it was supposed to.
It then misses mail runs and on a bad week will be delivered late because of this.

Just so you know ...

that's really dissapointing.

Can you reveal which clubs?? ..I know at Parra the teams are released any time between 2pm and 4pm Tuesday.

Ice777

Bench
Just found out from the distributor who delivers the mag Australia wide to newsagents that they don't know at this stage when the first issue will be as they haven't been informed themselves yet. I think the only way you'll get an answer is if you call/email Big League themselves.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's what the initial question asked. I'd imagine around Feb 15-16 is the expected release date. If HevyDevy is around he might have some sort of idea, I believe he has connections.

girvie

Staff member
I always buy the season guide for the player profiles and "other players to watch" sections.

Looking at the date on my price tag from 2005 it was out 14th of Feb.

shaggy

Juniors
i subscrbed in 2004 & most if not all the editions arrived before the weekend, the only 1 i remember was origin 1 which arrived a couple of days after the game, the other 2 usually arrived before the game

i got a new subscription for the 06 season because i was living in sa & it was almost impossible 2 find, but every edition arrived by the friday, but now they have cut the origin publications from the subscription, so i know i had to ring big league on a couple of occasions to find out what was in the subscription and what was out

The_Savage_1

Juniors
i stopped subscribing because instead of giving subscribers a discount, it is now actually more expensive to subscribe than to buy it at the newsagent! add to that the previously mentioned problems of cutting out specials like origin and late deliveries, you would be mad to subscribe!

choc_soldier

Coach
Echoing previous posters, I believe mid-February. I'll stick my neck out and say maybe next Monday perhaps.

Always very eagerly anticipated - you know the footy season is around the corner! :)

i used to subcribe when I lived in Sydney, for the season about 3 didn't make it for the weekend, most came on Fridays. I complained to them about the ones that were late and was told it wasn't their fault it was Aust Post. So I didn't renew and told them why but they didn't seem to care.
I get 1st thing Thurday morning at the local newsagent here on the Mid North coast so no complaints with them.

Alex28

Coach
eelavation said:
well there you go...you're right it is pointless.

wouldn't it be better if they offered the customer a credit system so that you can purchase them from any Newsagent before the weekend?
Some magazine subscriptions are actually delivered by Newsagents with newspaper runs. Why a mag which has such tight deadlines doesn't do this is beyond me.

Danish

Referee
steven_tiger said:

angry.gif

My sister actually works for the company that handles the Big League subscriptions......

Essentially what eelevation said is correct. Sometimes the printing company just doesn't get the mags to them ontime in order to ship them by the weekend.

More often than not you'll get it by friday, but unfortunately it does get delayed occaisonally, which sucks majorly!

Problem is there is really nothing anyone can do about it considering they are at the mercy of the clubs as to when they release their line ups, and the printing company as to when they ship them to them, to in turn be sent out to subrscibers. It does beg question as to why they offer the service, thats for sure.

Thankfully they get a couple free copies every week and one invaribably finds its way into my hands :D

HevyDevy

Coach
I know that subscriptions improved last year and most arrived before the weekend except some difficult to reach places.

As for the season preview - it should hit the shelves on March 5 which is later than usual. No idea why it's coming out so late this year. I don't work there anymore.