What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Names on the market

matt

Juniors
and while your at it bay i hear the liberals are in trouble dude.:lol: my oh my this bagging of the current goverment is a touchy
subject. why all the we should be happy with 14th drive?????????

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
I'm not congratulating anyone. What I'm saying is unless I can do better, I show a little restraint in the comments I hand out.

I used to work for someone whose business practices I disagreed with. I thought I could do better. So, I opened up my own business and did.

You have a lot of very forceful opinions, Bay. You are very confident that you have the answers.

So run for the Raiders board. Apply for a job there. Put up, or shut up...and let more talented folk - people who can actually achieve - do what they can do.

dude I'm busy atm but I'll place as little thought as I can muster into a reply during my lunch break.

Chachi

Bench
Man, the offseason has a hell of a lot to answer for.

I vote we get rid of half a dozen ordinary players and replace them with 1 or 2 decent ones.

We also need to retain Carney and Zillman as priorities.

This has been Henry's plan since day one in the job.

The fact Matt Elliott signed Howell to a long term contract is now absolutely irrelevant to our future other than the fact Henry obviously doesn't rate him (like most here) and wants him released.

We are restructuring the organisation along the lines of a successful club like the Storm (who are in a similar position to us - but without the junior base) yet people still complain. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'm happy with that.

matt

Juniors
so you say charch , but where is the media release , get my drift.

communication to the end of line user. bang it down our throats , these guys hardly put out a pur.
wtf is it with all the cloak and dagger stuff that never comes off, and people question that it has even
really been done at all. sing it from the roof tops ( hi dubs i knew you would be back with amway).

Chachi

Bench
matt said:
so you say charch , but where is the media release , get my drift.

communication to the end of line user. bang it down our throats , these guys hardly put out a pur.
wtf is it with all the cloak and dagger stuff that never comes off, and people question that it has even
really been done at all. sing it from the roof tops ( hi dubs i knew you would be back with amway).
What do you mean with a media release matt? I've heard plenty of radio interviews with Henry stating he wants to reduce our full-time player list from 35 odd (which it was under Elliott) down to 20-25. We've also signed guys like Dobson and Hinchcliffe to 1 year deals to give him the flexibility to assess their worth before deciding what to do with them.

Raston, Howell and Rothery have all been effectively released with a year to go on their contract and there are a stack of players of their calibre who are set to expire at the end of '08 too. Rothery is a very good PL player but for the life of me I can't see why Bay56 is so upset about us releasing him. Not exactly marquee quality IMO.

Dunemann, Bickerstaff, Irwin and Frawley were all useless crocks who were told to pack their bags rather than block the path of up and coming juniors.

Like Melbourne, we've cut PL to focus on quality (and juniors) over quantity. This may or may not work - but it's worth a shot.

There was one very good three-quarter on the open market this year who wanted to stay in the NRL and we got him.

14th spot on the ladder was not a great result - and neither was the Carney incident, but a lot of good moves happened this year.

I don't need a media release to tell me this stuff.

Bay56

First Grade
Chachi, Dubster and the rest ... I ask how many more years languishing around the bottom half of the table will you accept before you start asking a few questions of inept management ... what 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 ... how many years exactly.

I have stated fellas that when we have made up suifficient ground on the big boys I'll be the first to congratulate Donny Jnr .... atm I see very little signs which are pointing in that direction.

The fact is guys you are, for whatever reason, accepting of our poor performances in previous years .... people such as myself, matt and Mal are not and are therefore asking the BIG questions that should be asked by any concerned supporter.

We think there is a different way to approach a winning formula and once again have seen very little sign of that happening.

And btw your comments T-R are full of the usual bullsh*t that you come out with when you really have no explanation or reason to support the current regime. Quite frankly dude I'm not a football administrator and nor am I the president of the US ... but I can sure voice my opinions on a forum such as this ... and you are quite in your rights to comment on those opinion ... just keep the bs part out of it.

As far as your other post concerning ge ... you again can hold that opinion ... and quite frankly I'll hold to mine .. you'd proabaly not be surprised that there a lot of people with the same opinion as mine.

Chachi

Bench
Bay, don't let the fact I agree with the direction we NOW seem to be heading be mistaken with the fact I've HATED some of the decisions and announcements the club has made in the past few years - you know what I'm talking about.

I still don't think we're being promoted very well and I still don't think we use our great players of the past to train/encourage/support our current crop. But I do think we are heading back in that direction and I'm prepared to give Henry a chance to put his stamp on the organisation.

He appears to be very focussed on the goal and not his own ego. He also takes no crap and doesn't seem to put up with bad attitudes and half-arsed performances. Management HAVE done a very good job in supporting him in this and securing our financial future with good sponsorship deals and training facilities. I am also sure our connection with Souths Logan will also reap rewards in the long run too. We are one of the most financially viable teams in the NRL.

The jury is still out as to whether Henry can consistently get the best out of the boys and at the end of the day that's where this organisation will be judged. I think we have the talent NOW to give this comp a shake. Many would disagree but IMO we're not far off success with a bit of good fortune with injuries and refs decisions for a change.

Bay56

First Grade
Yes I know all that Chachi and I agree in part ... but again I ask, how long will it take before you start asking the questions I am at the moment.

If, lets say, we lose Carney next season to one of the smarter clubs ... what then, will that be reason to ask questions or will you just put it down to the player, his fault, he wanted to go, management couldnt do anything about it.

Chachi

Bench
Bay56 said:
Yes I know all that Chachi and I agree in part ... but again I ask, how long will it take before you start asking the questions I am at the moment.

If, lets say, we lose Carney next season to one of the smarter clubs ... what then, will that be reason to ask questions or will you just put it down to the player, his fault, he wanted to go, management couldnt do anything about it.
I think if management put a decent deal to Carney which financially equals (or is very close to) what he can get elsewhere and the kid still chooses to leave then good riddance to him. I don't want that type of person leading my club in the future on or off the field.

Lets not forget Carney was the one that caused his own problems this year and if he's not man enough to deal with the issues he has then so be it. From what I've seen our club and our sponsors have already bent over backwards to keep him happy and protect him from himself. He's also had more than one "last chance".

I don't want one player dragging this club through the mud like Ben Cousins has with the Weagles. I like what Carney brings to the table but we've now all seen how one player can make or break an organisation. I NEVER want to see my beloved Raiders in that situation no matter how good Carney thinks he is.

If Penrith offer him, say, $350,000 a year how much would you be prepared to pay to keep him?

matt

Juniors
forsight, i would have signed him a couple of years ago for less money long term:lol:

Chachi

Bench
They did that and were renegotiating when he decided to play his game with Kenny Koala.
His last contract was for 5 years remember - I think the longest in Raiders history at the time.

dubby

Bench
The off season has alot to answer for. :x AN extra 6 pages of Bay behaving like an absolute child whenever GE turns up, then continuing his change the world crusade by one bitch at a time.

Then matt appears after swallowing bucket of stem cells and continues supporting bay and MM (its sacrilege IMO that a man who names himself after one of the greatest Raiders of alltime is so blasphemous to the club).

This crew have neither the correct answers nor the craniual capacity to produce any real solutions. I have yet to recall bay giving any sort of plan or direction that would improve the club and its future. Unless of course throwing mega bucks at a 2nd year winger/fullback who wont change a damn thing if he plays in green. I want players who want to be here, not come for a few seasons, earn good $$, underperform then POQ to another club or retire (Tyran Smith anyone?)

I do not think for a moment that our management team are perfect. I DO know that they try very hard to sign players. But, the mega-bucks crew here dont realise or appreciate how hard it is to get players to move to Canberra. Its not just the blinking cold weather!

Anyway, for me the off season is long, enduring and I get fiesty. This must be withdrawel symptoms, an NRL cold turkey. :crazy:

matt

Juniors
dubby said:
The off season has alot to answer for. :x AN extra 6 pages of Bay behaving like an absolute child whenever GE turns up, then continuing his change the world crusade by one bitch at a time.

Then matt appears after swallowing bucket of stem cells and continues supporting bay and MM (its sacrilege IMO that a man who names himself after one of the greatest Raiders of alltime is so blasphemous to the club).

This crew have neither the correct answers nor the craniual capacity to produce any real solutions. I have yet to recall bay giving any sort of plan or direction that would improve the club and its future. Unless of course throwing mega bucks at a 2nd year winger/fullback who wont change a damn thing if he plays in green. I want players who want to be here, not come for a few seasons, earn good $$, underperform then POQ to another club or retire (Tyran Smith anyone?)

I do not think for a moment that our management team are perfect. I DO know that they try very hard to sign players. But, the mega-bucks crew here dont realise or appreciate how hard it is to get players to move to Canberra. Its not just the blinking cold weather!

Anyway, for me the off season is long, enduring and I get fiesty. This must be withdrawel symptoms, an NRL cold turkey. :crazy:

and you wouldnt have it any other way. how boring would that be huh.;-)

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
The off season has alot to answer for. :x AN extra 6 pages of Bay behaving like an absolute child whenever GE turns up, then continuing his change the world crusade by one bitch at a time.:crazy:

I behaved like a child ... and GE dubster ??? ... so what do you think GE came here for, to add to the debate maybe here at LU ???

change the world crusade ??

I could say a few more things dubster but I'll refrain at this point.

FFS dude !!