What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big $$ Props - How likely ?

kit66

Bench
I've been reading a lot of comments recently saying we should splash out and spend big money on a top line prop or two and that will make everything alright. I don't think it's going to be quite that simple. I see three major issues.

1. We currently have 10 Props / Locks of which 7 are off contract this year and one, Merrin, has signed with the Panthers. That leaves us just two prop / locks signed so far for next year - O'Brien and JDB ( who I'd rather not be used at prop anyway ). I don't believe Packer has actually signed yet so I'll leave him out of the equation. Oh....and Hunt...we have him.
That means we need to sign / re-sign not one or two props but 6 or more.
If you look at who is available for 2016 it's fairly slim pickings to the point where any of the better choices will command a fair amount of money and whatever else they can get.

Off - Contract
Ah Mau
Nutira
Creagh
Cooper
Wakeman
Rose
Matthews

2. The ability to attract top line stars. We're one of the World's great Sporting Clubs with a proud history and usually very marketable
brand ( sorry ) but given our recent fortunes I don't think that's enough to attract the best players. It's going to take more, cash and other incentives and lots of both.

3. Salary Cap. Losing BMoz and Mez and a few others should leave us with some money in the bank but we have Duges and Benji on big bucks you'd
think, we have a number of backs to sign / re-sign including Nightie and you would think also Creagh and possibly Ah Mau will be offered renewals. So all that and still needing a brace of props, including at least two of reasonable quality. It'll be a stretch.

I'd like to think otherwise but I think our rebuilding process is going to take a bit longer than some might think. This isn't necessarily a negative thing as long as it's handled properly. I'm a patient man and we;ve seen these cycles with other clubs so you never know.
The silver lining is that a lot of our players, including those 7 characters listed above are going to be playing, not just for a spot in the team but also for their NRL futures - I can see a couple of them sinking into oblivion if they don't perform this year - maybe a few surprises there. We could do well this year off the back of that.

Saintjim

Juniors
The only one I can think of is tamou apparently he wanted to move back to Sydney only thing is that with roosters pulling out of the race for Mertrin that frees them up for him and let's face it at the moment he would prefer them then us

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i think we need a big money play for Ricky Thorby..

love my saints

Juniors
Here is the top 50 sporting organizations in the world.

The team that is placed at number 50 is worth US$850 million.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...he-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2014/

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ejlgl/1-real-madrid-2/
You've put a link to the richest... he said we are one the greatest... 11 premierships in a row, any teams on that list won 11 in a row???
Big difference between saying one of the greatest and one of the wealthiest.

BennyV

Referee
Of that list, we should definitely re-sign Creagh and maybe Ah Mau/Cooper/Rose pending performance.

If we get Packer and Tamou (and both perform to their best ability), we might be looking at a formidable pack next year. Because lets face it, we definitely need 2 guys to provide go forward. But with guys like Hunt and Rein taking up big cap space and not providing the value for it, it may be more of a struggle. We dont have the money, the position on the ladder, the coaching staff or the management setup to entice players.

Also, just on these 'cycles' that teams go through - they are a thing of the past. In the current age of unlimited Third Party deals, we wont see teams like Souths, Roosters, Broncos, Bulldogs go through troughs anymore. They will just keep rising. Best hope we learn how to catch up.

BrissyRedV

Bench
From my understanding, Coopers contract was a 2 year loan only and will be returning to the SL.

Of those guys, the only guys I would retain would Creagh and LAM.

The guys off contract for next season I would be looking at would be: (noting have also included some backrowers)

Joe Ofahengaue- I would offer him big coin to entice to move to us. He will be a gun
JWH
Sam Kasiano - At the right price. I would not be going over the top for him.
Dylan Napa
Alex Glenn
Ethan Lowe
Nate Myles
Sam Thaiday
Lewis Brown

But knowing our club of late, we probably end up with Willie Mason, TLL and retaining the bulk of those guys off contract.

We also have Addin Fonua Blake to consider. I believe he is still on our books?

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
we only need 1 awesome prop that can provide the leadership and intensity that is sadly missing.
someone to pull off that big hit when needed, or charge into the defence and get up barking orders at the rest to follow suit..... we simply dont have that in Creagh - he is a follower not a leader.
the rest will feed off that one person...or be so embarrassed that their team mates will have a go at them.

this is the true value of someone like SBW or Sam Burgess, not only their individual brilliance but just how much they lift and inspire the rest of the team to do the same.... we simply dont have that in our current bunch of forwards... thus no one raising the bar each match

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Disagree on Creagh. He was tremendous last year and his charges were often inspirational. Only problem was the only forward capable of following was Merrin. Yeah, shame about that...

BrissyRedV

Bench
Disagree on Creagh. He was tremendous last year and his charges were often inspirational. Only problem was the only forward capable of following was Merrin. Yeah, shame about that...

Yep, Mez is gone. He is gone and won't be back. And it managements fault or his greed or Mary's fault or whatever but I am past reading the analysis of what, where, why etc. being discussed ad nauseam. Time to move on.

grouch

First Grade
Yep, Mez is gone. He is gone and won't be back. And it managements fault or his greed or Mary's fault or whatever but I am past reading the analysis of what, where, why etc. being discussed ad nauseam. Time to move on.

But you're happy to downplay him on other forums. Cool.

I dont think any of the potential targets can be realistically signed for anything resembling "bargain" value. And I dont see any with the talents of Merrin either.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i reckon you should get ben creagh to stop running at little blokes and get him to start focussing on running at big blokes fulltime

BrissyRedV

Bench
But you're happy to downplay him on other forums. Cool.

I dont think any of the potential targets can be realistically signed for anything resembling "bargain" value. And I dont see any with the talents of Merrin either.

I have not downplayed him at all. Great player. We have to accept he is gone. We won't be able to replace him with a player of the same calibre but we can replace some of the plodders in our pack with the cash freed up.

The Nick

Bench
i reckon you should get ben creagh to stop running at little blokes and get him to start focussing on running at big blokes fulltime

Wow great idea, why waste time trying to work over the opposition halves!?

Sack Mary and get the strategic mastermind Craig Johnston in as new head coach weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Hurricanerrc

Juniors
From my understanding, Coopers contract was a 2 year loan only and will be returning to the SL.

Of those guys, the only guys I would retain would Creagh and LAM.

The guys off contract for next season I would be looking at would be: (noting have also included some backrowers)

Joe Ofahengaue- I would offer him big coin to entice to move to us. He will be a gun
JWH
Sam Kasiano - At the right price. I would not be going over the top for him.
Dylan Napa
Alex Glenn
Ethan Lowe
Nate Myles
Sam Thaiday
Lewis Brown

But knowing our club of late, we probably end up with Willie Mason, TLL and retaining the bulk of those guys off contract.

We also have Addin Fonua Blake to consider. I believe he is still on our books?

Anyone know what's the go with AFB, would love to see him in Fg this year. Oh, and agree with you mate, Ofahenguae is an absolute beast. Apparently Bennett guaranteed he won't play Fg this year. Dunno why.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Anyone know what's the go with AFB, would love to see him in Fg this year. Oh, and agree with you mate, Ofahenguae is an absolute beast. Apparently Bennett guaranteed he won't play Fg this year. Dunno why.

If he has the option to blood him slowly, it is not a bad decision. But to completely rule him out is just silly if his form and development demands it. I know it is a risk chasing young players, but he is one I think should be our number one target.

twinkletoes

Juniors
How come Sutton & Burgess get off scott free and both Souths and NRL take no action when police are involved and they were taken into custody over the incident but AFB is stood down by Dragons indefinitely and will most likely receive some form of sanction from NRL if found guilty. He's a guy we could really use and develop over the course of the season...

mmap dragons

Juniors
Problem is the club will have to pay massive overs to attract quality players. Although his future is still undecided, Napa apparently knocked back a substantially bigger offer from the Dragons.

The club is unfortunately a basket case due to poor management. Player managers know this and will always hold the upper hand in any player negotiations. Until there is a change at the top to implement future success, the club will continue to be forced to pay overs.

Last edited:

Latest posts