What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest overachievers ever?

lucablight

First Grade
Congratulations to the Tigers. They fully deserve their premiership. However thinking back to the start of the year in terms of expectations are they the biggest overachievers ever? They don't have the big name players many other clubs have and they didn't get any players in origin. Everyone said they were too small and could be good in the future. Even they wouldn't have imagined this. Would you say they are the biggest overachievers ever? If not, what team would you consider?

gregstar

Referee
sullyfan said:
They were the best team overall. That's all that counts in the end.
parra were the best team throughout the season
the tigers were the best team throughout the finals
that's what counts.

that's what counts.

how so tigers had about 4 bad weeks if that the rest of the time we were winning same as parra
anyways this is the best feeling GO U TIGERS :D

Meanie

Juniors
gregstar said:
that's what counts.

I don't really think there was a best team throughout the year. Yeah Parra won the minor premierhsip but there wasn't really one, or even two (as least year) dominant teams throughout the year, and anytime it looked like one had poked it's head up, they'd submerge again.

The Tigers were the most consistent, won the games that mattered and were the team that wanted it the most. Good on em.

gregstar

Referee
in no way am i saying that the tigers:
a) don't deserve the title
b) aren't the best team for '05

but whoever finishes as the minor premiers is the best team of the regular season.

Glenn

First Grade
Wests were the best team at the right end of the season, as mentioned one of those years when a number of teams could have won it.

aussies1st

Staff member
Should be interesting seeing how the Tigers go next year. They have signed some good players but others side may improve.

Meanie

Juniors
aussies1st said:
Should be interesting seeing how the Tigers go next year. They have signed some good players but others side may improve.

Depends on other teams really. I'd expect maybe similar too the Warriors 2003, or the Panthers 2004.

choc_soldier

Coach
The Tigers of 2005 definitely surpass the Panthers of 2003 in the overachievement stakes... I mean, we had players such as Campbell, Gower and Priddis.

The Tigers are basically a bunch of kids, most of whom do not attract the "star billing" or had very little FG experience at the start of the season.

pantherz9103

First Grade
parra_panther said:
The Tigers of 2005 definitely surpass the Panthers of 2003 in the overachievement stakes... I mean, we had players such as Campbell, Gower and Priddis.

The Tigers are basically a bunch of kids, most of whom do not attract the "star billing" or had very little FG experience at the start of the season.

Yes that is true. But how will the current Tigers lineup look on paper in 10 years? Many of them may go on to be Test players or Origin players and Marshall and Farah could be superstars.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yes that is true. But how will the current Tigers lineup look on paper in 10 years? Many of them may go on to be Test players or Origin players and Marshall and Farah could be superstars.
]

Depends how many they can retain. With the exception of the Roosters' and their bottomless salary cap - most sides who make the big one inevitably enter something of a slump as their formerly cheap players draw big money offers from rivals. It's happened to Penrith, Newcastle, Parramatta, and Canterbury in recent years.

pantherz9103

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
]

Depends how many they can retain. With the exception of the Roosters' and their bottomless salary cap - most sides who win the big one inevitably enter something of a slump as their formerly cheap players draw big money offers from rivals. It's happened to Penrith, Newcastle, Parramatta, and Canterbury in recent years.

When did the Eels win the big one recently?? :?

Misanthrope

Staff member
When did the Eels win the big one recently??

Pause a moment.

Think.

Which side basically dominated all comers in 2001, and shattered records for team performance, only to choke in the big one?

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't Newcastle. Any decent performance draws attention. New Zealand also lost a lot of talent after their brush with greatness.

pantherz9103

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
Pause a moment.

Think.

Which side basically dominated all comers in 2001, and shattered records for team performance, only to choke in the big one?

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't Newcastle. Any decent performance draws attention. New Zealand also lost a lot of talent after their brush with greatness.

Oh yeah. I was just confused when Parramatta and premiers were mentioned in the same paragraph, without the word minor adjacent to it ;-)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Oh yeah. I was just confused when Parramatta and premiers were mentioned in the same paragraph, without the word minor adjacent to it

Easy mistake to make. Most of their history has the word 'minor' in front of 'premier' :p

The Tigers are an incredible team, the best team in the competition.

Only7 a pathetic loser would try to suggest otherwise.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The best team in the comp is the premiers, unless crap refereeing and salary cap rorting takes place.

Thankfully, that didn't happen in 2005!

Parra were not the best team all year. They won one challenge, but failed at the next. The grand finallists got enough status throughout the comp to make the GF. No mattyer how good your side is, if you don't make the finals, then make the prelim finals, the WIN the prelim finals, then win the GF, you do't deserve to be considered the best.

At some stage during this year, Brisbane, Manly, Melbourne, Cronulla, NQ, Saints, Parra and even Canberra were the best in the comp. Don't forget Round 1, when according to the media, Bulldogs were going back to back, and SBW was gunna win the Dally M, the Clive Churchill, and probably even the Nobel Prize.

In the end, Wests Magpie..(sorry) Tigers hold the Holy Graille.

Just a thought - they are the only club to lift a premiership trophy with a former player on it.

Dutch Oven

Juniors
lucablight said:
Congratulations to the Tigers. They fully deserve their premiership. However thinking back to the start of the year in terms of expectations are they the biggest overachievers ever? They don't have the big name players many other clubs have and they didn't get any players in origin. Everyone said they were too small and could be good in the future. Even they wouldn't have imagined this. Would you say they are the biggest overachievers ever? If not, what team would you consider?

I'm still pinching myself.

They are the biggest roughies of any code ever.