What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bill Harrigan

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I may be biased, but I think that was the correct call. When else do you award a penalty try??? The pass was going into the bread basket of Witt, he was tackled without the ball within 5m of the tryline, no one in front of him.

We've all seen players drop the ball before they ground it, but that doesn't come into play with a penalty try decision. So judging purely on the circumstances above, a penalty try is a fair decision.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Misanthrope said:
What possible purpose would that serve? I'm sure the ninety seconds in the sin bin would give him adequate time to reflect on his poor behaviour - but it would not only deprive the Warriors of a legitimate try - but also halt their momentum by giving Parramatta time to re-set their line while the decision is handed down.

It's called a professional foul. That is what the sin bin is for. The amount of time left on the clock is irrelevant.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's called a professional foul. That is what the sin bin is for. The amount of time left on the clock is irrelevant.

A professional foul that prevented the Warriors from scoring a try, yes.

Iafeta

Referee
Given the dew on the ground, I seriously doubt Witt would have been stopped with a legitimate tackle.

That said, I don't think it was a penalty try. I am confident it would have been a try without the infringement, but not certain. Penalty, sin bin.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
It's not irrelevant coz a player in the sin bin doesn't provide any advantage.

Bazal

Post Whore
Dear God...Nine just reported that Harrigan said because Robinson infringed, Harrigan excluded him from the equation when deciding on that penalty try. Since when is that a rule?

El Diablo

Post Whore
supersoniceagle said:
It's not irrelevant coz a player in the sin bin doesn't provide any advantage.

13 on 12 is not an advantage :?

you're not playing with a full deck

NPK

Bench
Really, you can never be sure that someone would have 100% scored a try. A player can drop the ball at any moment...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
has anypne thought that perhaps he may have been held up as well? witt is apussy and as soft as dog sh*t

supersoniceagle

Juniors
El Diablo said:
13 on 12 is not an advantage :?

you're not playing with a full deck
In this case there's no real advantage with about a minute left in the game. What if it was the final seconds and a potential game-winning try? A penalty and a player in the bin is not really adequate in that case.

El Diablo

Post Whore
supersoniceagle said:
In this case there's no real advantage with about a minute left in the game. What if it was the final seconds and a potential game-winning try? A penalty and a player in the bin is not really adequate in that case.

ffs the time left in the game is irrelevant

Ron Jeremy

Coach
LOL at anyone that thinks he would've scored without doubt!! pj marsh against Souths in rd 2 anyone?

He may have been held up or lost the ball, worst decision of the year!!!!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Bazal said:
Dear God...Nine just reported that Harrigan said because Robinson infringed, Harrigan excluded him from the equation when deciding on that penalty try. Since when is that a rule?

Mustve come up with it 2 weeks ago, like they do with every other bloody rule.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
El Diablo said:
ffs the time left in the game is irrelevant
How is it? Imagine there's 30 seconds left in the game, Tim Smith makes a break with Inu in support. Smith is about to put Inu away to win the game, but someone grabs him from behind before he can receive the ball. Now would you be satisfied with a penalty and the player going to bin? I know I wouldn't be...

Iafeta

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
has anypne thought that perhaps he may have been held up as well? witt is apussy and as soft as dog sh*t

Not with that moment. Perhaps on a dry track, but on a dewey track he would have slid over fo shore fo your life.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Iafeta said:
Not with that moment. Perhaps on a dry track, but on a dewey track he would have slid over fo shore fo your life.

:lol: look at the size of both of them, even if it was legit he may have caught it and slid onto his back, a stupid decision!!!!!!!!!! trust a warriors fan to believe it was the right call:lol: ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore
supersoniceagle said:
How isn't it? Imagine there's 30 seconds left in the game, Tim Smith makes a break with Inu in support. Smith is about to put Inu away to win the game, but someone grabs him from behind before he can receive the ball. Now would you be satisfied with a penalty and the player going to bin? I know I wouldn't be...

it's the rules. they don't suddenly change in the last few minutes

even Harrigan wasn't stupid enough to use time left in the game as a reason

innsaneink

Referee
NPK said:
Really, you can never be sure that someone would have 100% scored a try. A player can drop the ball at any moment...

Those type of incidentals....dropping a ball....a 747 dropping out of the sky etc...dont come into it.

Bill rewriting the rule book yet again it seems.

Wheres those balmain blokes...they'll tell you...:lol: