What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billionaire Harry Triguboff expresses interest in buying Wests Tigers

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Billionaire Harry Triguboff expresses interest in buying Wests Tigers

Adrian Proszenko
Published: August 12, 2015 - 11:45PM

Billionaire developer Harry Triguboff has revealed an interest in buying the Wests Tigers, believing his business nous could transform the joint-venture club into a winning outfit.

Triguboff has enjoyed a long association with Balmain and then Wests Tigers as a benefactor and sponsor. The club has found a new backer for 2016 but it won't necessarily spell the end of the relationship with Triguboff, who is rated by Forbes magazine as the 280th wealthiest individual on the planet. The 82-year-old feels a strong connection to Balmain after being introduced to rugby league through Dawn Fraser, but said any privatisation bid would be for the entire Wests Tigers entity.

"Officially, they have a new sponsor, I'm out of it. Unofficially, I'm trying to find a way [in]," Triguboff told Fairfax Media. "I have to adopt everyone, all the children are equal. My interest is in the Wests Tigers. Nobody can support a team that is all the time on the bottom, that's a waste of time. If I feel we can come off it, that's different. They will have to talk with me my way. I'm a businessman, that's all. If I do it, I do it properly. I will never do it any other way."

The Balmain side of the joint venture is coming to a crossroads. It remains a part of Wests Tigers, but its inability to contribute financially has effectively left it as a silent partner in the marriage, without the right to vote at board level. The NRL has loaned Balmain the outstanding monies, but the foundation club is required to contribute its next funding amount on March 31 of next year. If Balmain remains an unfinancial shareholder beyond that date, its shares are defaulted and placed up for sale. Balmain Leagues Club is preparing to submit to Leichhardt Council a new development application for the dilapidated Victoria Road site at Rozelle on Friday in a last-ditch attempt to raise funds and give the Tigers a home.

Triguboff, dubbed "High-rise Harry" after building up his Meriton property empire to the point he is Australia's third-richest citizen, knows buying the Tigers would be a passionate investment unlikely to yield returns.

"How will I make money out of it? I sell to the Chinese. You think the Chinese care about rugby league," he quipped. "This has nothing to do with business. Not a penny. I like the game so I give them money. I only watch two sports, this and tennis I like. It's easy to understand, you don't have to be a professor. If we can possibly find a way, we will find it."

Triguboff has already contributed millions to the Tigers over the years. Most recently, the property magnate built a kitchen in the club's training base at Concord, a location he believes could host NRL games if revamped. The former taxi driver plans to speak with Tigers officials before determining whether to proceed with a privatisation bid.

"There's many things we need to do," he said. "First, let's see how I can be convinced that I have found a way for them to play and win.

"You know something, I have never laid a brick in my life. But my people have laid more bricks than anybody else put together. Because I know how to pay. Let's see if I can find a way here. It shouldn't be impossible. I think the NRL have to decide whether they want them to remain or not. Without the goodwill of NRL, nothing can be done. I will have to talk to them too."

Triguboff has built his empire from humble beginnings and believes the secret to success is ensuring everyone he involves in business enjoys success.

"If you're in business or sport, this is the way you do it," he explained. "I employ thousands of people, maybe 5000 or 6000. In my mind, they are all doing well. Because if they are not doing well in their minds, I'm not as strong as I could be. Every buyer who buys from me, I believe they are doing well. People tell me 'if you kept it, you would have got more money'. I don't look at it that way ...

"I say to those kids [at Wests Tigers], they should feel they are in a winning team. If we have problems - for instance, we can't buy players and others can - we have to look at that. It has to be a level playing field, that's it. That's what it's like in business, everybody has to win. Every worker, every purchaser, every supplier. They all have to win. It's not the one who will give it to you the cheapest or gets it the dearest, that's not it. You all have to win enough."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-in-buying-wests-tigers-20150812-gixnrk.html

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would support this as it would finally put an end to the Magpies/ Balmain Tigers rubbish and the club could finally move on into the future as a single entity.

Good to see he understands that he is not going to make money out of them though- luckily he has deep pockets....

He is 82 though so if this goes ahead it will have to happen pretty quick and lets hope one of his kids has the same passion he does...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The ARLC would never let him buy the whole thing (they seem pretty set on this Independent Board members thing), but if he was to buy up the Balmain seats it could be good for the club....

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why wouldn't they? The ARLC should be concerned with running the competition, not individual clubs.

He said that he wouldn't buy 50% - it's all or nothing. I can see his point actually as otherwise you still get the same 50-50 split that causes division within the administration of the club... It doesn't work..

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ARLC wouldn't have an issue with WT bring privately owned. In fact, its in their best interests to allow the financially poor clubs to be privately owned

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Harry is the only private entity I would support buying the club. The amount of times he has bailed out the club will never be known.

Harry is business man first and a fan second. But it is so important that he is both, that way you can make sure you are not playing in a pink jersey and playing out of WA a couple of years down track.

I think I recall them saying that they weren't keen on picking up Balmains half, but they didn't want to let their share go either.

If Harry paid the right price I'd say they would.

macnaz

Staff member
Or he could just stand back seperate from the club and make MASSIVE third party payments for any player we like and blow the clubs like the rorters away. Id say the nrl would quickly change the rules then .

macnaz

Staff member
He could seriously just give any player a million dollar payment on top of club cap payments. You would see the clubs that do it now start crying big time .

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I have no probs if he wants to buy out the club. He has shown himself to be true and loyal supporter of the club brand Wests Tigers and Balmain previously. Alternately as Macnaz has alluded to he could also be the wealthy 3rd party benefactor topping up player contracts with 3rd party deals outside the salary cap.

Maybe the latter would be a preferable option since we have difficulty with attracting players, paying top dollars and seemingly constant salary cap troubles? Imagine WT players advertising for XXX apartment complexes or XXX real estate sales. Could be done.

Edit- the club really has to make a go of it- we just cannot keep on limping along. Even the club player strategy if it bears fuit (which I doubt) will come to naught if the clubs finances remain a basket case.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Or he could just stand back seperate from the club and make MASSIVE third party payments for any player we like and blow the clubs like the rorters away. Id say the nrl would quickly change the rules then .

This would be perfect.

FlameThrower

Bench
Tigers would crazy to let this offer slip through? Move heaven and earth to make it happen. I only wish there was some Billionaire out there for my Dragons!!!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'll likely shitcan the move.

Because Harry is from the Balmain side and Wests are practically holding all the cards and could potentially run the club soon.

Doesn't matter how much Harry talks about the Wests Tigers, the diehard magpie section will scuttle the sale because of his Balmain affirmation

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Balmain welcomes Harry Triguboff's bid to buy Wests Tigers

Adrian Proszenko
Published: August 13, 2015 - 5:58PM

Balmain has welcomed the prospect of Meriton magnate Harry Triguboff privatising Wests Tigers, believing it could provide a lifeline for the foundation club to remain in the partnership.

Fairfax Media revealed Triguboff, a long-term club sponsor considered one of the world's wealthiest businessmen, is considering buying the Tigers. Triguboff has a strong connection to Balmain but has made it clear he will only buy in if he is capable of owning the entire NRL franchise.

"Their problem is the Balmain part is broke. But Balmain part is me," Triguboff said.

"That's the way it is. I'm very close to them, to the old part. I hope if I can stay I will keep the old supporters still involved. That's my plan."

The timing couldn't be any better for Balmain, which is on the cusp of forfeiting its place in Wests Tigers. The NRL has loaned Balmain the outstanding monies owing to the joint-venture club, with March 31 looming as the deadline for its next funding contribution. If the foundation club remains an unfinancial shareholder beyond then, its stake is up for sale.

Balmain chairman Dr Leslie Glenn said he was "heartened" by Triguboff's interest.

"We are very open to any discussion with Meriton," Glenn said.

"We have a flexible attitude to whoever can assist us in being a partner in the joint-venture outfit. We would consider any number of proposals that would allow us to keep faith with our supporters and history.

"We would be prepared to consider any reasonable offer that gave us long-term security. There's no uncertainty about it, if we don't repay the debt to the NRL they will see us off and put that 50 per cent share up for sale."

Friday also looms as a key day in Balmain's future, with Balmain Leagues Club scheduled to submit to Leichhardt Council a new development application for the dilapidated Victoria Road site at Rozelle. The proposal will include a new 3600 square metre clubs space to return the Tigers home with a bar, lounge, dining and entertainment areas.

"The developer has gone back to the master plan of 2008 and assured us the proposal will be within the boundaries agreed between the Balmain club and council," Dr Glenn said.

Meriton will remain plastered on the Wests Tigers jerseys until the end of the year before a new sponsor is unveiled for season 2016. But rather than scaling back his interest in Wests Tigers, Triguboff is keen to become more involved. It's understood Balmain had previously offered Triguboff one of their two board seats should he bail them out of financial strife, but the self-made billionaire won't be content with a bit part in Wests Tigers.

"I've never been a partner with anyone and I won't be a partner with this. This I guarantee you," Triguboff said.

While Balmain is on the verge of extinction, Wests Ashfield have had no issues in meeting their funding obligations.

Dr Glenn is hopeful that the Tigers' association with Triguboff will continue well into the future.

"We've got a very long relationship with Harry that started well before the joint venture came around," Dr Glenn said.

"We were very happy Harry continued into the Wests Tigers days and shared the pleasure of the 2005 premiership."

Tigers chairwoman Marina Go and Wests Ashfield declined to comment.

The Tigers have a chance to move further away from the wooden spoon when they host Newcastle on Saturday.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-bid-to-buy-wests-tigers-20150813-giykws.html

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if Balmain Leagues does get built, they will be able to kick in their own coin soon after the place is built (at least 5 years away)

Can see Harry just paying Balmain's debt.

No way would Wests relinquish their hold on the club.

Latest posts