What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Danish

Referee
Mini from 02-05 was as good as slater is now, as was Lockyer in his time at fullback.

Really we have been spoilt rotten with fullback talent over the last 15 years

Ryan123

Juniors
I don,t understand how people can undermine slater so much? His stats are phenomenal, his rep honours speak for themselves, and his dally m best player and fullback points are always up there. He can easily cut it with best fullbacks i've seen like Gary belcher, gary jack, graham eadie, lockyer, not sure about churchill but. Dugan, hayne, stewart, bowen, are just not same level overall and in consistency.

typicalfan

Coach
Hunt was picked ahead of Slater because Slater wasn't considered an "origin type player" by QLD. Funny how since 2008 he has just about been QLDs best player. Game 3 2008, scores match winning/series winning try. Game 3 2010 scores match winning try. Game 1 2011, scores match winning/series winning try. Id be here forever naming all the times he has won his team the game, last week for example.

Most of those tries are a result of standard fullback play but late in the game showing the fitness and composure to finish the job off.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
The best of the modern era for sure. Greatest of all time? Its possible that by the end of his career with another premiership (albeit a legitimate one)) or two before he his career is over and it'll put him up there. He's better than Minichello and Hayne by a mile. He did have a shocker tonight though with those brain snaps!

I'm very lax to lump Lockyer as a fullback or a five-eighth. He's the greatest player I have ever seen. He revolutionized the full back role and switched effortlessly to five-eighth but I'd have a hard time splitting Lockyer and Slater.

redvscotty

First Grade
Slater is as good as they get, but is a smarmy, smug merkin. He also plays for the worst team imaginable.

That Mini video, regardless of the shit song, brings back great memories. Cruelled by injury for sure.

alpine eel73

Juniors
He is an outstanding fullback but i can't bring my self to give him any credit because he plays for the dirty cheating Storm and some of the grubby things he does on the field...eg. the way he slides in with his feet into try line tackles.

redvscotty

First Grade
If you look in the rule book it says every player in the NRL is not allowed to do that, except 'Billy'.

wibble

Bench
Well, I think we can all agree Slater is the greatest ever in the game, to have played full back in the last 3 years (except maybe for Minichiello).

He is amazing, but I'd like to see the rest of his career before declaring him the Bradman of fullbacks.

watatank

Coach
Hunt was picked ahead of Slater because Slater wasn't considered an "origin type player" by QLD. Funny how since 2008 he has just about been QLDs best player. Game 3 2008, scores match winning/series winning try. Game 3 2010 scores match winning try. Game 1 2011, scores match winning/series winning try. Id be here forever naming all the times he has won his team the game, last week for example.

Most of those tries are a result of standard fullback play but late in the game showing the fitness and composure to finish the job off.

Was it unjustified? QLD get the job done with Hunt at fullback in 2006/07...in 2008 Slater gets his shot and plays so poorly he gets dropped, Hunt returns to fullback again and QLD secure the series.

lockyno1

Post Whore
No he isn't, best since Lockyer at fullback. People forget how good Lockyer was at fullback becuase he was just as good at 5/8th, he is a dead set monty to be an Immortal as he dominated TWO positions. However take Lockyer out and he is probably the best since Langlands, having not seen Langlands I won't say any more.

Big Pete

Referee
Was it unjustified? QLD get the job done with Hunt at fullback in 2006/07...in 2008 Slater gets his shot and plays so poorly he gets dropped, Hunt returns to fullback again and QLD secure the series.

This.

Slater 'bombed' out of Origin back in 2005 when Joey figured him out. His return was less than stellar and they had to have Hunt cover for him to be of any use.

It really wasn't until 2010 Slater was able to deliver on his potential as an Origin player. Last year, apart from coming up with a break in each game he was a tad quiet by his own standards. It wasn't until Game 3 he absolutely killed it with one of the best Origin fullback performances I've seen. Should have been MotM.

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
I think im the only one on this entire forum who thinks Billys rubbish , anyway mini in his day was way better.

beave

Coach
Hunt was more 'robust' as well, he seemed to be a bit bigger build so he was able to better handle the early punishment that was renowned with origin.

Slater is damn good though, probably the best I seen in my 25 years of following the game.

I wish we had persisted with bowen at 7 back in 2001, imagine then having an NQ boy Slater at fullback with JT at 6............ :p good luck with keeping that team under the salary cap!! Lucky our muppets in recruiting back in the day told him he was too small for first grade............... Jesus f**king wept!

wibble

Bench
I think im the only one on this entire forum who thinks Billys rubbish , anyway mini in his day was way better.

And that should tell you that your opinion is either way off the mark, or your statement is perhaps a bit of hyperbole.

He may not be the greatest, maybe only 3rd, 4th, even maybe "just" in the top 10, but he is great. Mini is still playing, but injury certainly seems to have split his fullback career into a "great" ("in his day") and "OK" (now) phase. He was never "way better" than Slater, but did have some fantastic years. He was probably only just better than Phillips, who had some outstanding games before injury got him, and gave Mini the fullback spot.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Poor Cowboys.

Probably one of the few reasons I like the NYC competition - it helps clubs like yours, Melbourne and the Warriors to nurture and retain talent. So many good players had to look elsewhere either to get noticed or to make the most of their careers.

Dazraider

Juniors
great fullback and what i have seen from the 80s.90, till now he would be right up there. speed is his main weapon but he also reds the play well in defence and attack.
Storm wouldn't have a hope without him

typicalfan

Coach
Obviously it was. Because he has since been outstanding and again one of the best players since he had the spot himself. If Slater bombed out then it would have been justified but he didn't.

hitman82

Bench
He's the greatest simply for being able to run fast despite the constant torrents of jizz splattering all over his face and body