What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Smith - Legend who hasn't been shown true Respect by NRL & media

maestro1

Bench
Is there any reason why there is never any accolades thrown Billy Smith's way whenever the NRL and media discuss the heroes of yesteryear or player accomplishments.
Billy's team mates and opponents cannot talk high enough of him, but he never enters the "immortals" discussion or any other recognition, despite being arguably the best halfback ever. He was one of the first selected for St George, NSW and Australia in his era, loved by his team mates, respected by his opponents and this was over a long period of time. It boggles the mind how we don't hear more about him. It seems like he is mirroring the great St George team in that the NRL and media don't want to acknowledge just how awesome they were. There is definitely a feeling of, we we don't discuss it, it never happened.

jak

Bench
Is there any reason why there is never any accolades thrown Billy Smith's way whenever the NRL and media discuss the heroes of yesteryear or player accomplishments.
Billy's team mates and opponents cannot talk high enough of him, but he never enters the "immortals" discussion or any other recognition, despite being arguably the best halfback ever. He was one of the first selected for St George, NSW and Australia in his era, loved by his team mates, respected by his opponents and this was over a long period of time. It boggles the mind how we don't hear more about him. It seems like he is mirroring the great St George team in that the NRL and media don't want to acknowledge just how awesome they were. There is definitely a feeling of, we we don't discuss it, it never happened.
good old Billy had a habit of telling anyone of authority what they probably did not want to hear.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Still my all time favourite & best halfback that I’ve seen play the game. He had it all and was tough as teak.
His combination with Changa Langlands was next level.
He was the heart & soul of the mighty Dragons during his career.
In my opinion, he shits all over Joey Johns whom was wrongly given immortal status.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree for what ever reason that he’s not in the narrative he’d be in my best 3 easy! Loved watching him play, tough clever, skilful, defence …had everything. He’d usually win the best rep award Sunderland Medal until off field behaviour maybe took its toll…. otherwise probably add the 1972 test series and 73 Kangaroo tour to his record. His combination with Chang is unequalled and had to be seen to be believed.

maestro1

Bench
good old Billy had a habit of telling anyone of authority what they probably did not want to hear.
Yes.... And Andrew Johns had a drug problem. None of which had anything to do with how great a player he was. None of that should come into it.

Old Timer

Coach
I loved Billy as a player and saw a lot of his career and fair to say he was great player in a very tough era and of course had to change from unlimited to 4 tackle rule and did so successfully whereas many did not.

Back to back Sunderland medals in test series against the Poms and Kiwis shows his ability and in 5 seasons he missed 1 test match due to injury which showed his toughness and commitment.

I remember some years ago Billy was interviewed on the radio about playing for Australia and that was at the time when Thurston and others were whinging that test players should be payed more.

Billy in his usual direct fashion made it known that in his days you were "invited" to play for your country and that was an honor and you didn't expect to get paid anything for the privilege let alone insinuate you might not play.
That interview was immortal IMO.

There are so many greats from that era Smith, King, Irvine, Sattler, Mc Carthy, Summons, Kelly, Diamond etc etc that you could consider all of them worthy of immortal status but the system doesn't allow for that and as time goes on their legacy diminishes as other great deeds on the field are more recent, easier to recall and of course the TV coverage keeps them in the forefront of the medias memory.

If it were up to me I would have immortal sides for the different eras in rugby league and if that was the case Billy would already be in.

I would be less aggrieved if Johns wasn't an immortal and if Thurston gets a nod before Billy then the system is completely f**ked.

maestro1

Bench
Yes, definitely agree to all of that, but Billy was better than those and at least equal to the already Immortals. Definitely better than Johns. Thurston was better than Johns although not much between them.

Sage63

Juniors
When I was a kid (halfback), I idolised him but as I got older I heard too many negative and disturbing stories about him during his social outings, especially from his neighbors, who apparently, he frequently intruded upon.

jak

Bench
i would love to tell you guys a story about Billy and what happened when we signed up with penfolds but best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Old Timer

Coach
When I was a kid (halfback), I idolised him but as I got older I heard too many negative and disturbing stories about him during his social outings, especially from his neighbors, who apparently, he frequently intruded upon.
Billy was always a pugnacious wild child mixed in with a healthy amount of the mischievous Puck.

At the SCG one GF they had the cavalcade of sports cars with their roofs down with lots of greats sitting on the back waving to the crowd and all of a sudden Billy hops the fence from the outer and runs out towards them.

Sticks was coming past in his car and he got it to stop and beckoned Billy to come sit beside him and like an errant school boy being chastised by the principal he hopped up and gave Sticks a cuddle and Sticks patted him on the head.

Sticks once said that Billy was the best half he ever played with or saw and that was long after both their careers were over so that is certainly a good enough testimony for me.

since77

Juniors
Yes, definitely agree to all of that, but Billy was better than those and at least equal to the already Immortals. Definitely better than Johns. Thurston was better than Johns although not much between them.
I'd take Thurston over Johns every day of the week.
Never saw Billy play. Is there a "modern" player whose style was similar to his so I can get an idea of what kind of player he was?

Best defender as a half I have seen

remember in a semi v Manly, Phil Lowe pierced the front line. Huge fast Englishman

Billy dropped him like a stone with a copy book bootlace tackle

His short kicking game was tremendous

Have never seen a better duo than Smith and Langlands

His ability to ball play was first class

Made Rod Reddy into a rep player by drawing defenders and passing short to ready

Definitely an immortal in my eyes

jak

Bench
peter sterling wasn't too bad either

RedVee

First Grade
Never saw Billy play. Is there a "modern" player whose style was similar to his so I can get an idea of what kind of player he was?
Modern? Probably not.

Billy was as tough as Raudonikis but more skilful. Great ball player - short pass when opponents expected a straight out the backs move, switch it up the blind etc. Great kicking game, could find touch back when that was a thing to get the feed and head, good little chip. Could make a break. Had an uncanny link with Changa. Had Rocket running off him when Reddy was young, and helped him develop his own ball skills as he got a little older.

Tough as teak, and wouldnt back down from anybody.

Old Timer

Coach
There is no 1 player to compare him with but this might give you some sort of idea.

He had the cheek, guile and kicking skills of Alfie.
He had the toughness and resilience of Raudonikis and Foran. One season he broke his fore-arm in 2 places and had it plated and bolted and turned out for the semi final 3 weeks later
He had the play making and defensive skills of Stirling.
He had the ability to read the game of Wally.

maestro1

Bench
Modern? Probably not.

Billy was as tough as Raudonikis but more skilful. Great ball player - short pass when opponents expected a straight out the backs move, switch it up the blind etc. Great kicking game, could find touch back when that was a thing to get the feed and head, good little chip. Could make a break. Had an uncanny link with Changa. Had Rocket running off him when Reddy was young, and helped him develop his own ball skills as he got a little older.

Tough as teak, and wouldnt back down from anybody.
He invented the banana kick back for Langlands that Andrew Johns got credit for 2 decades later