What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Smith - Legend who hasn't been shown true Respect by NRL & media

Old Timer

Coach
He invented the banana kick back for Langlands that Andrew Johns got credit for 2 decades later. And Johns has never uttered the words....... I saw Billy do it as a kid to set up Changa and I practiced the banana kick and resurrected it 2 decades later. His silence was him taking credit for another players genius.
Billy & Changa used to practice stuff on their own at various parks in the area.

I remember seeing them plenty of times in the little park opposite the entry to Beverley Park golf course.
They would be there for hours trying all sorts of different things and remain focused the entire time.

Carr's Park was also another haunt where they practiced together.

maestro1

Bench
So, serious question, why are some off field indiscretions forgivable and our game even takes pride in the players redemption story and immortalised said player. And contrastingly, a player who is probably one of the best ever, isn't ever forgiven for regularly making a goose of himself on the pi$$. Come on Vlandys and co. ....... Immortalise this guy while he is still with us. His exploits on the field are the epitome of a true Rugby League footballer. Tough, loyal, strong, fast, skillful, do anything for his mates and jersey. Represented his country with distinction (2 Sunderland medals, multiple premierships, could play both the running half or organising halfback game brilliantly, great astute kicking game, defensively impenetrable ..........and could also excel in the centres.

Latest posts