What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Smith - Legend who hasn't been shown true Respect by NRL & media

Old Timer

Coach
He invented the banana kick back for Langlands that Andrew Johns got credit for 2 decades later. And Johns has never uttered the words....... I saw Billy do it as a kid to set up Changa and I practiced the banana kick and resurrected it 2 decades later. His silence was him taking credit for another players genius.
Billy & Changa used to practice stuff on their own at various parks in the area.

I remember seeing them plenty of times in the little park opposite the entry to Beverley Park golf course.
They would be there for hours trying all sorts of different things and remain focused the entire time.

Carr's Park was also another haunt where they practiced together.

maestro1

Bench
So, serious question, why are some off field indiscretions forgivable and our game even takes pride in the players redemption story and immortalised said player. And contrastingly, a player who is probably one of the best ever, isn't ever forgiven for regularly making a goose of himself on the pi$$. Come on Vlandys and co. ....... Immortalise this guy while he is still with us. His exploits on the field are the epitome of a true Rugby League footballer. Tough, loyal, strong, fast, skillful, do anything for his mates and jersey. Represented his country with distinction (2 Sunderland medals, multiple premierships, could play both the running half or organising halfback game brilliantly, great astute kicking game, defensively impenetrable ..........and could also excel in the centres.

Billy and Changa were my boyhood idols

The 2 man team mantra came from 1971 when Jack Gibson assembled half a team of "no names" that went all the way to the GF (and all three grades made it that year) even though we also had ex internationals in Barry Beath and Tony Branson.
Changa and Billy single handedly got us through two semis in that final series against Parra (extra time) and Manly in the Preliminary Final
Bill worked at Caringbah Inn for awhile post retirement and some of those stories about his antics there are legendary (I actually witnessed a couple)
Very friendly guy though always happy to chat footy

Inisai Toga

Juniors

The 2 man team mantra came from 1971 when Jack Gibson assembled half a team of "no names" that went all the way to the GF (and all three grades made it that year) even though we also had ex internationals in Barry Beath and Tony Branson.
Changa and Billy single handedly got us through two semis in that final series against Parra (extra time) and Manly in the Preliminary Final
Bill worked at Caringbah Inn for awhile post retirement and some of those stories about his antics there are legendary (I actually witnessed a couple)
Remember those Semi’s of ‘71 so vividly. Smith and Langlands combination was at its peak. They beat Parra in extra time and Billy virtually owned the Final against Minor Premiers Manly in beating them 15-12. This was an unbelievable game. He set 2 tries for Chang and kicked 3 Field Goals. Nearly emulated that feat against the mighty Souths team the following week. What a player!

Coffs dragon

Bench

Are you The Stan Gorton, the fast paced winger of that wonderful Billy & Chang era?
If so, I have such wonderful memories as a young fella watching you, Geoff Carr, Roy Ferguson, Lord Ted, Gary Pethabridge…all score a shitload of tries compliments of Billy Smith.

Are you The Stan Gorton, the fast paced winger of that wonderful Billy & Chang era?
If so, I have such wonderful memories as a young fella watching you, Geoff Carr, Roy Ferguson, Lord Ted, Gary Pethabridge…all score a shitload of tries compliments of Billy Smith.
Ha ha no I'm not but was an admirer of old Stan lol
But yes Billy fed his wingers and centres grat ball!

Old Timer

Coach
Alas poor Stanley is playing wing with the feathered saints.

I remember him scoring a cracking try at the old sports ground after the full time hooter rang and kids started to run towards the field and the linesman and officials trying to stop them.

RedVee

First Grade
Alas poor Stanley is playing wing with the feathered saints.

I remember him scoring a cracking try at the old sports ground after the full time hooter rang and kids started to run towards the field and the linesman and officials trying to stop them.
I remember watching a game on a quagmire Belmore.

At the end of the game there were 25 players caked in mud, and Stan Gorton resplendent in white, nearly as clean as at the start of the game.

That’s all I remember about that game!

At the end of the game there were 25 players caked in mud, and Stan Gorton resplendent in white, nearly as clean as at the start of the game.

I vaguely remember this game also, RedVee. Sure Stan didn’t come on as a replacement? I do remember him being resplendent in that white jersey though and the rest in covered in mud.

Coffs dragon

Bench

Yep always had the crisp white jersey & that neat groomed BRYLCREEM hair. The crowd use to give it to Stanley claiming he had a comb in his long socks to keep that brushback so manicured.
Never saw him tackle too much, but geez he was quick and not like the current plodders we have.

Latest posts