What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird appointed Dragons skipper

They pretty much are when they decide the game. :roll:
Especially when the Dragons had been in both games for the said 79 minutes and 55 seconds.
No one play decides a game of RL. It's like those dickheads who say their team was robbed because they had a try disallowed in the first 10 minutes and they lost by less than a try. If the Dragons were playing well they'd be beating these sides without relying on last minute plays. With the squad they have they should be.

marv

Juniors
No one play decides a game of RL.

When the game is heading for a draw, and a player boots the ball out on the full, resulting in good feild position for the winning try, it does.

Maybe missing a conversion that could tie the game, might have a bearing on a result too.

If the Dragons were playing well they'd be beating these sides without relying on last minute plays.

But there not, be that becasue of Walters, Perry, Improved sides they are playing or otherwise.
IMO there not too far away these losses arent cricket scores, soon I they might get the luck or the bounce of the ball, for example they had 3 disallowed, they may have been legit, but sometimes you get them and sometimes you dont.

With the squad they have they should be.

In your opinion.

Which leads me to a question, with "the squad they have" and since their coach is, according to you, not fit for the job who would you bring in now?

When the game is heading for a draw, and a player boots the ball out on the full, resulting in good feild position for the winning try, it does.

Maybe missing a conversion that could tie the game, might have a bearing on a result too.

But there not, be that becasue of Walters, Perry, Improved sides they are playing or otherwise.
IMO there not too far away these losses arent cricket scores, soon I they might get the luck or the bounce of the ball, for example they had 3 disallowed, they may have been legit, but sometimes you get them and sometimes you dont.

In your opinion.

Which leads me to a question, with "the squad they have" and since their coach is, according to you, not fit for the job who would you bring in now?

And now they HAVE ben beaten by a cricket score. But no doubt it was Bosc's fault for not kicking well ONCE. Have a look at the table, compare it to last year and then tell me the coach is doing a good job. You can also factor in the fact that the squad has two more Origin reps in this year. He was never a good appointment. He's not a coach at all. He hasn't go the demeanour. And the old excuse that "there's no one else" is rubbish, firstly because there are plenty of options if they wanted to look and secondly because it suggests that they're better off losing every game than replacing a coach who never any good to begin with. They couldn't be doing much worse if they didn't have a coach at all.

marv

Juniors
And now they HAVE ben beaten by a cricket score. But no doubt it was Bosc's fault for not kicking well ONCE. .

sometimes your so stupid its not funny, Catalans have NEVER won at Headingley, what made you think things were gonna change this week?

You also cant see the irony that I Havent blamed (unlike you) anyone, you suggested the Dragons are not winning and the coach should be sacked imediatley. All I said was things go on in RL that take games out of the coaches hands, yes ultimatley he shoulders the responsibilty, but the Dragons arent getting the bounce of the ball and they arent performing as well as they have.

Its not just Walters, I dont agree with the sacking of coaches from any club when it does not warrant it.

Have a look at the table..

Have a look at the table, a couple of wins and there in the play-offs. :roll:

Have a look at the fixtures. Games against Quins, Wigan and Salford, If they take those points they are in the top 8.

If they dont I might just be calling for his head with you.

compare it to last year and then tell me the coach is doing a good job. .

I have never said he was doing a good job either, all I have said is the guy should be given time to do his job, without furore from people who should know better. I dont have the answer to as how much time he should be given.

You can also factor in the fact that the squad has two more Origin reps in this year.

So what? you could factor in the fact that some of their origin reps have been injured, Mogg, Carlaw, Ryles, Bell a talisman in Chan has departed and the French guys too havent been in the best shape, Baille, Ferriol, Raguin, Fakir, Duport have all been injured this year at some point.

Its not as simple as you like to think is it?

And the old excuse that "there's no one else" is rubbish, firstly because there are plenty of options if they wanted to look and secondly because it suggests that they're better off losing every game than replacing a coach who never any good to begin with. They couldn't be doing much worse if they didn't have a coach at all.

I notice you havent given any names?

Last edited:
It's such a pommy attitude to need to speculate about replacements as if it has any bearing on the decision to get rid of a coach who is not up to the job. If he's not up to it, he's not up to it. I could list a bunch of random names of coaches if you want but what's the point. If he is sh*t he shouldn't be coach. There's plenty of other options but I'm not going to pluck names out of the air. He was a bad appointment to begin with. He hasn't got the demeanour to be a coach. Never has. He hasn't even got good credentials. He was an assistant at the Broncos and was ditched. He then coached Ipswich to the Qld Cup grand final, which they should have won and didn't. And that's it. I said it was a bad appointment when it was made. The only reason I was somewhat relieved he got the job was because John Elias was mentioned as an alternative! And, no, it's not just his fault. It's the club's fault for signing him. And it's their fault for signing Perry too.

winnyason

Juniors
Marv i can see you point of view but if they don't win there any of there next four walters is gone. The bottom line is he inherited a team which has gone from a challenge cup finalist to 3rd place in superleague last year and had recruited aussie rep players in ryles and bell.

1 from 7 is a joke injury toll or not the expectations have grown, look it is not what perry does it what he does not do marv, the big plays.
Why after even a gf win did the boncos recruit wallace.

But why not in the future look at more english influence with players and maybe future coaching look at a sean long or senior rather than aussies.

The shortlist must be folkes, murray, paul cullen for job or if goes.

As it looks challenge cup is there only hope i shutter to think the quad series may bring.

marv

Juniors
It's such a pommy attitude to need to speculate about replacements as if it has any bearing on the decision to get rid of a coach who is not up to the job. If he's not up to it, he's not up to it. I could list a bunch of random names of coaches if you want but what's the point. If he is sh*t he shouldn't be coach. There's plenty of other options but I'm not going to pluck names out of the air. He was a bad appointment to begin with. He hasn't got the demeanour to be a coach. Never has. He hasn't even got good credentials. He was an assistant at the Broncos and was ditched. He then coached Ipswich to the Qld Cup grand final, which they should have won and didn't. And that's it. I said it was a bad appointment when it was made. The only reason I was somewhat relieved he got the job was because John Elias was mentioned as an alternative! And, no, it's not just his fault. It's the club's fault for signing him. And it's their fault for signing Perry too.

Finished your rant now?

marv

Juniors
Marv i can see you point of view but if they don't win there any of there next four walters is gone. The bottom line is he inherited a team which has gone from a challenge cup finalist to 3rd place in superleague last year and had recruited aussie rep players in ryles and bell..

The Bottom line is Winny is this is a different coach with different ideas and I think he should have his chance, I supported the club with his appointment, If they decide to dispence with him I will support the club then, ultimatly I want whats best for the club and IMO sacking the guy when things arent going terribly bad is the wrong thing to do.

And yeah if they dont take any points from the next three which IMO are crucial, then I will be with you guys, however much i dont agree with sacking managers.

1 from 7 is a joke injury toll or not the expectations have grown, look it is not what perry does it what he does not do marv, the big plays...
Why after even a gf win did the boncos recruit wallace.

Well TBF 1-7 has changed dramatically Murphy, Khattabi, Wilson and McGuire have all gone out of the backs, and most of that is not the fault of Walters, It will take time for Bell to learn how Pelo plays and vice versa.

Bell and Ryles may well be Origin players but do we know how they (and Walters) are feeling/settling in Perpignan, there could be issues behind the scenes, they may be unhappy, I dont know and neither do you.

Im certain however that it would take time to settle in a forign environment, new language, new culture e.t.c

RE Perry, a fair shout and you probably know more about the background of Perry than I do, but you and I both know that plenty of no-name aussies have come to Europe and made their mark before now, Im sure no-name coaches have done the same.

But why not in the future look at more english influence with players and maybe future coaching look at a sean long or senior rather than aussies.

The shortlist must be folkes, murray, paul cullen for job or if goes.

I dunno, I think the club has distanced itself from UK staff since Deakin was UTC coach and TBH I dont feel that would be a sound option looking to the UK.

As it looks challenge cup is there only hope i shutter to think the quad series may bring.

The cup certainly is not their only hope, look your having yourself on if you thought they could improve on last year, and as I said to ECT wins in their next 3 could see them overtake Quins and Wigan both on 6pts and what should be a giver aginst Salford would see them in the top 8 or there or there abouts

RE the 4N, Without the Aussie contingent I was suddering anyways, I think there on a severe hiding to nothing.

winnyason

Juniors
it is not just walters defence is not existant, they score 24 and still lose it is all about attiude, the backs is mindboggling why is murphy overlooked and stacul tried and has failed, duport on the wing and baile in the centres too slow. Most would duport in centres murphy to wing, mcgure to 7 and baile to 9.

What worries me is that Walters blames the players after every loss... apparently the Dragons left the ground last night without changing out of their kit. Sounds like a downtrodden team without any confidence.

jim_57

Staff member
What worries me is that Walters blames the players after every loss... apparently the Dragons left the ground last night without changing out of their kit. Sounds like a downtrodden team without any confidence.

I haven't heard anything about this but if it is the case Walters needs to go, sooner rather than later.

marv

Juniors
it is not just walters defence is not existant, they score 24 and still lose it is all about attiude, the backs is mindboggling why is murphy overlooked and stacul tried and has failed, duport on the wing and baile in the centres too slow. Most would duport in centres murphy to wing, mcgure to 7 and baile to 9.

Murph is out becasue he is still waiting on his french passport, when he gets it he will be off quota, the reason he is out is because of the 8 overseasplayer rule enforced by the club.

I agree with you though, I would be using Murph, he is the best winger at the club, I dont have aproblem with Stacul or Duport there as we need to find out if there up to the job, the cant stay on the fringes forever or in UTC.

I personally dont see Duport as a centre myself, or Baille.
Maybe Baille at 9 he has done ok in the games he has played there this year.

ledzep

Bench
Good to see the Herald have decided to report this, only a couple of weeks late :lol::lol::crazy:

Latest posts