What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird's Hit on Thurston (CSI Suncorp?)

Butters

Bench
Haha pretty much straight away? He lay on the ground motionless for a good 5secs and as soon as he realised he wasnt getting a penalty he got straight up with no assistance. It was as good an effort as one of Jarryd Hayne's dives.

beave

Coach
So you reckon there isn't just the slightest, just the teeniest chance that he was actually hurt for a bit?????? F#$k me dead, it was a massive hit.

Butters

Bench
Players dont all of a sudden lie on the ground motionless and then get straight back up with no assistance. If he was actually hurt he wouldnt have got straight back up. Im not saying it wasnt a big hit.

CGD

Juniors
It was on Fui, even better.

Actually, Fui got smashed a few times in the Tests against GB last year, mostly by debutant Sam Burgess.

Inferno

Coach
You do know Price landed right on his knee and he was gone for the rest of the season riiiiiiiiiight?

Which is actually illegal and called clipping, but Price seems to be lauded for this talent rather than punished...

As for Bird's hit it sure was massive, but lets be serious, how hard is it to take out someone who is unbalanced, focussed on something else and standing on one leg?

Tunguska

Juniors
As for Bird's hit it sure was massive, but lets be serious, how hard is it to take out someone who is unbalanced, focussed on something else and standing on one leg?

It's not, but who cares. He can obviously cause some hurt (read: B Morris, K Hunt, F F Moi Moi.)

Pie Floater

Juniors
add D. Lockyer to that list. Bronco's game last year, Bird tackled him, Lockyer hobbled off the field.

beave

Coach
Which is actually illegal and called clipping, but Price seems to be lauded for this talent rather than punished...

I would like to know where this rule of "clipping" exists, i have just gone through the rules and I can't find it anywhere, I know it exists in the NFL, but I have never heard of it in League.

beave

Coach
Have a look at section 15 ( bottom of pg 38 and start of pg39) http://www.arlra.org.au/pdf-files/International_Laws_2008.pdf

if you read it states "..... A tackler cannot be expected to delay making a tackle because the player in possession might decide to kick the ball. The onus is on the kicker to get his kick in before his opponent commits to a tackle". If anything, the laws of the game blame Kimmorley for not getting to his kick in time and not some "clipping rule"....I highly doubt of this clipping rules' existence.

Canard

Immortal
I agree Beave, people seem to want halfbacks and 5/8's to be some sort of protected species like QB's in the NFL.

As long as its not late, or high I dont have a problem with it.

If you cant get your kick away quick enough, then you should be standing deeper when you kick it.

Canard

Immortal
I still want to see this apparent "Clipping" rule..........................

Maybe there is also a rule about roughing the passer, and crackbacks, and getting fined for not having your socks pulled up.

beave

Coach
I'm still hoping that Inferno can show me where the clipping caper exists in the rule book....................................

Butters

Bench
I think he was referring to the rule that was introduced to stop players deliberately targeting the kickers leg he was planted on. Pretty sure it was introduced due to Manly using the tactic in the 90s

Latest posts